CrowdSupport®
TT3336
Level 2: Rookie

Smart WiFi Booster 2 (M35H-MAP) not pairing

Answered

Have a Modem Technicolor DJA0231and Smart WiFi Booster 2 (M35H-MAP). The only way it will pair is via an ethernet connection.Problem is removing ethernet connection to move it to another location looses the connection, light goes red.Is it a dud or am I missing something.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart WiFi Booster 2 (M35H-MAP) not pairing

You have the Sagemcom F@st5355 which is not compatible with the gen 2 booster. The booster needs a gen 2 smart modem LH1000 or DJA0231. I think it know also works with the gen 1.1 smart modem updated to latest firmware.

If used with a non compatible modem you need two. One connected to modem by LAN cable to act as the controller.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14

Have you trie factory reseti g the booster and then pairing it to modem withkut using an ethernet cable. To pair press WiFi button on back of modem for at least five seconds. Pair button should flash and turn steady green when ibooster is paired od red if pairing fails.

TT3336

How do you factory reset booster. I have put pin in hole while switched on and also put pin in hole while turning on, neither seemed to work. Should I add booster via Telstra Home Dashboard or by pair button on modem and wps button  on booster. Appears to be multiple methods for connecting. Thanks

Can't really help you with reseting device, but on most of the Telstra network devices you press the reset button for at least 10 seconds while device is powered on. If successful booster should reboot.

Pairing is down by pressing pair button on modem for at least 5 seconds, pair light should flash green and then pressing the WPS button on booster until light flashes orange.

The home dashboard app is used to manage the network.

TT3336

Did a factory reset of both devices.Attempted pairing booster but ended up with red light.Reset booster a few more times, always end up with red light. After one attempt the booster, still with red light, had its own wifi network which I could connect to but it was not paired to modem so no internet connection. I mentioned the Home Dashboard as it has a function to add a booster.Using that method it attempts to create a new wifi network for modem and booster, but fails at the final step and won't complete.So basically booster  works fine as long as its connected by ethernet. So unless I want to run an ethernet cable from one end of the house to the other I think I've just wasted $200.

Level 14: Field Agent Mkrtich
Level 14: Field Agent

Hi - you may have a faulty Booster. At the risk of raising your stress levels, suggest you contact Telstra and they should be able to remotely diagnose the problem and replace the Booster if faulty. Paired to the Technicolor DJA0231 TLS, the Booster is supposed to take the SSID/s from the Modem and not use its own SSID/s - that is the case when it is paired to the previous DJA0230 model which requires an Ethernet cable to establish the link to the host modem and it requires two Boosters. 

In late October, the DJA0231 had compatibility issues with the Booster which were addressed successively, initially with an auto update of the configuration file and later firmware update - current status of modem pre Christmas should be at 18.1.c. 0443-950 RB. Last Firmware I have from web postings for the Booster was in late October 2019 was Ver 2.02.51.01.

The DJA0231 modem needs firmware 18.1.c.0347-950-RC or later to be compatible with the Gen 2 modem. Which version firmware does your modem have? The firmware no is displayed on LHS of modem's log in page.

The Home dashboard app booster setup only has instructions for how to set up the booster.

TT3336

My gateway shows the following firmware, which I thought was only able to be updated automatically not by the user. My Home Dashboard app for iOS 13 under devices panel has an option to add a booster which if you follow starts a procedure to create a new network to be shared by Modem and booster which crashes at the last step.

Telstra_Gateway.png

Accepted Solution

You have the Sagemcom F@st5355 which is not compatible with the gen 2 booster. The booster needs a gen 2 smart modem LH1000 or DJA0231. I think it know also works with the gen 1.1 smart modem updated to latest firmware.

If used with a non compatible modem you need two. One connected to modem by LAN cable to act as the controller.

View solution in original post

TT3336

Thanks. I guess I'll just disable the router function and get a new router to extend the range.

If you disable router function you will also disable the VOIP phone function of the F@st5355 on a NBN service

I have seen second hand Gen 1.1 modems (DJAO230) from $10 and Gen 2  modems from $30 at Cash converters. These have better WiFi than the Sagemcom F@st 5355 and they will automatically configure when connected to a NBN service. If connected to an ADSL service might have to enter your Telstra username and password.

TT3336

Thanks for the tip. Don't use phone function at this location so not an issue. Also on Fixed wireless so I think there are limits on modems that are compatible.

With fixed wireless all Telstra modems less than 5 years old and third party routers are compatible if you don't have VOIP phone service.

@TT3336  - thanks for verifying your configuration and the feedback.  

In case others have similar issues, there appears to be a change with the Booster 2 model connectivity and Telstra provisioning policy. Up until late Fin Year Q2/2019, the connectivity choices were 

1. Arcadyan LH 1000 Gen 2  - WPS pairing, Modem being the Controller for the Booster.

2. Technicolor DJA0231 Gen 2 when firmware was upgraded sometime in Q2/2019 as per Arcadyan. According to posts, both could also pair with LAN cable. 

3. Technicolor DJA0230 Gen 1 - Telstra asked you to specify what type of modem you had before on-line ordering and this should also have been done in-store. For Gen 1 modems Telstra provided two Booster 2s, the second one was supplied free of charge due to the configuration required -  connection Modem to Booster 1 via LAN permanently fixed ( Booster 1 acted as the Controller) and Booster 1 to 2 via Wi-Fi.

Current on line ordering now specifies compatibility is limited to Gen 2 and Gen 1.1 - the ".1" signifying a change to the previous DJA0230 Gen 1 - I assume this may have occurred with a firmware update, perhaps by 18.1.c. 0443-950 RA which some people have reported as recently occurring to their Gen 1 modems. Prior to that version, Gen 1 modems had different firmware nomenclature - e.g. 17.2.0468-820-RA. It appears you are no longer offered a free second Booster for the DJA0230 Gen 1.1 in the on-line ordering web page, as it looks like with the new firmware, it is no longer required. Therefore one can assume, in regards to Booster implementation,  the Gen 1.1 is now equivalent to the Gen 2 modems in terms of software compatibility.  Good to see continuing support and commonality between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Technicolor modems.  

In the new Quick Start Guide dated 18/11/2019, LAN cable pairing is used for program the first Booster to the Gen 2 or Gen 1.1 modem before it is relocated to the preferred position in home.   

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/aem-cloud-content-migration-assets/internet/Ban...

Just an update to the above to clarify the model numbers and names of the Telstra modems. I started to be interested in Telstra modems in April 2019 when NBN was installed at my son's home and he had technical issues. So my knowledge about these matters before that is somewhat limited.

I have been reliably advised that the Telstra Gateway Frontier DJN2130 with 4G LTE Data Back Up only may also be known as the Smart Modem Gen 1 and the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 1.1 is the DJA 0230 with 4G LTE Voice and Data Back Up and updated firmware for native Wi-Fi Easy-Mesh support. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now