frogsta
Level 1: Cadet

Smart modem Gen 2 wall socket problem

Hi, recently set up the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. Now other wall sockets in the house are no longer connected to the internet (ie TV, Playstation). Before swapping modems everything was connected and worked fine. How do I get the new modem connected to the other wall sockets? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smart modem Gen 2 wall socket problem

There are four yellow LAN ports on the back of the modem which you can use for connecting to devices with Ethernet ports. Remove the cables from the old modems LAN ports and connect them to the new modem's LAN ports.

frogsta
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have had the house set up/wired with ports in each room running from the one modem port. The modem is in one room (I don't want to run cables from the back of the modem to each room and have cables exposed). The previous modem was plugged in to the wall socket and I would receive the internet in every room. I'm now not sure why these ports are no longer working. I've spent hours on the phone with telstra 'technicians' and they will only confirm that the modem is working. Hopefully this makes sense as my technical ability is very limited.

I am confused how if the old modem was only connected to one wall socket how the other devices got there internet unless they were connected by WiFi or there is a central switch some were in the house.

If there is a central switch just connect one of the modems LAN ports to the wall socket and the other devices should have internet access.

If devices were connected by WiFi will need to connect devices to the WIFi off the new modem which will have a different SSID and password to that of the old modem. The WiFi SSID and WiFi password is written on a Label attached to modem and modem should have come with a Fridge magnet with which also has the WiFi SSID and password printed on it.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now