CrowdSupport®
Mikezz
Level 2: Rookie

Smart modem gen 2 and EMF radiation. DECT etc.

Hi 

We now have a Smart Model Gen 2  with VOIP.   

I noticed the measured EMF readings in that room were very high, even with the wifi button off.   Since I sleep opposite,  I like to minimise this for peace of mind.

The EMF levels only drop to background if I both unplug the phone jack from modem and enable bridge mode, with the former having the largest effect.  

Bridge mode will automatically disable VOIP and render the landless inoperable though.  Even though I don't use them, other people in the household do, and this would annoy them.   

Also , it seems  I can't even turn off DECT in the gateway settings either for this particular modem.  

I have heard other modems e.g. FST 5355 have a 'DECT off' setting,  however someone had this modem and tried and still got elevated readings (see:  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Modem-has-wifi-that-doesn-t-switch-off/td-p/6...

It seems my only solution is a physical one - ie move the modem in that room to the farthest corner, and buy a faraday router cage?  

Many thanks for any help / suggestions.   

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Smart modem gen 2 and EMF radiation. DECT etc.

If you are concerned about the EMF readings then a Faraday cage is essentially your only option.

This may also be of interest to you https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/eme/wi-fi

For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

You may be mistaking the EMF from your TV, Computer, 

Molbile phone, some types of lamp globes, or ambient radiation in the atmosphere.

Your microwave's leakage is the greatest source.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"
Mikezz

Thanks for the replies.    

Does anyone know if the landline can still function if DECT is turned off ?   Thanks

To my knowledge the DECT function can't be disabled on the newer modems.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Mikezz

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
To my knowledge the DECT function can't be disabled on the newer modems.

Thanks for the reply!   That is true.   The reason I ask is because I read that on the F@ST 5355 modem,  the DECT can be turned off.   This modem is a few years old, but still NBN and VOIP compatible.  They are cheap enough to buy used,  however Im not sure if doing this would cause the landlines to be non functional.     

Any insight on that is greatly appreciated.  

Turning off DECT wont affect the landline phone from working. However those modems are rather old and the WiFi on them isn't that great. You may find more problems going down that path.

Mikezz

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
Turning off DECT wont affect the landline phone from working. However those modems are rather old and the WiFi on them isn't that great. You may find more problems going down that path.

Just wondering something -  at the momet we have a phnoe base in the room with the modem, connected to the modem.   The 2 other phones in the house I assume communicate wirelessly (via DECT?) to this phone base, as they are only plugged into a power socket.  

If I turn off DECT, would these phones then cease to work.  Would I only be able to use a corded type phone that is connected directly to the modem itself and thus, in the same room as the modem?

Thanks for any insight.  Much appreciated.

Level 24: Supreme Being

If you turn of the external DECT base the two phones will cease work. If you turn of DECT only in the modem the handsets will still work as they are connected to the external DECT base connected to the modem and not the modem’s internal DECT base.

To minimise EMF you will need to use corded handsets and if you require handsets in other rooms will have rewire the premises with one phone socket near the modem connected to sockets in up to three other rooms.  Connect the modem’s phone port to the phone socket near modem and connect the phones in the other rooms to phone sockets in the other rooms.

Mikezz

@cf4 wrote:

If you turn of the external DECT base the two phones will cease work. If you turn of DECT only in the modem the handsets will still work as they are connected to the external DECT base connected to the modem and not the modem’s internal DECT base.

To minimise EMF you will need to use corded handsets and if you require handsets in other rooms will have rewire the premises with one phone socket near the modem connected to sockets in up to three other rooms.  Connect the modem’s phone port to the phone socket near modem and connect the phones in the other rooms to phone sockets in the other rooms.

Thanks for the reply!   It seems id have to do that solution since most of the EMF are from the phone base unit and not the modem  (decreases about 10 times when base turns off)

One more question on that... The house already has wall original (old) phone sockets in the room with the modem and the rooms with the new phones  (not used though with current cordless internet phones).    Would any of these work in this scenario or they would only be copper based and Id need new internet based phone lines wired in?   

If that is the case, perhaps a faraday cage around the base may be a simpler and cheaper solution.  

Thank you so much!

If you used a Faraday cage around the existing base the phones wouldn't work because it would block the DECT signals between the phone handsets and DECT base.

The existing phone house wiring can be used if your NBN connection is not a DSL connection A DSL connection is one were the existing phone line is used for the connection (FTTC, FTTB or FTTN are DSL connections). If NBN connection is Fixed radio, FTTP or HFC  the existing cabling can be used provide it is disconnected from the incoming phone cable from the street.

Mikezz

@cf4 wrote:

If NBN connection is Fixed radio, FTTP or HFC  the existing cabling can be used provide it is disconnected from the incoming phone cable from the street.

Again, thank you so much, that was extremely helpful. 

Our NBN /modem is a cable connection.

So does this mean I can simply plug the phone jack from the existing wall socket to the modem and then simply plug corded phones in other rooms into the original phone jack wall sockets?     Luckily I didnt throw out our original corded phones so I could test this out.

You will have to disconnect the street cable where it connects to the house wiring. It will probably work without disconnecting street cable but if street cable is still connected to exchange it could overload and damage modem.

Mikezz

@cf4 wrote:

You will have to disconnect the street cable where it connects to the house wiring. It will probably work without disconnecting street cable but if street cable is still connected to exchange it could overload and damage modem.

Thank you : )   I tried plugging modem to the old phone socket,  then trying a corded phone in several rooms (plugged into the old sockets),  but never got a dial.  I was about to book someone to make connections, but I thought I may try cheaper approaches first.  

I already moved the base to the farthest corner of the room, and this helped a little.

Today, I used a shoebox, line foil inside, and made a small cutout for cables.  With the base inside this, the readings (@ same distance)  are ~ 10 x lower.  At the exit of the room (near my bedroom),  they are 100 x lower , which is general background level.   

The surprising thing is , the signal escaping the box (for whatever reason), is strong enough to allow the phones to still function.    The 2nd handset works in a room at the other end of the house. 

I also found out Siemens make a phone with 'eco' DECT', whereby the base cuts radiation when in standby mode.  That seems tempting, but due to the above, I may not need that now.

Thank you for listening, and all the advice!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now