CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
EmptyG
Level 1: Cadet

Smart modem mobile mode online but no internet

Answered

Just got the Telstra smart modem gen 2 and I was told that the landline will active later on, let me use the mobile mode for now. I powered the modem and three lights are green, online, mobile mode and mobile signal. Also in the setting page shows (your broadband service is working in backup mode. You are connected and online), and I used my own username and password for pppoe setting. But I just can’t get access to internet, any type.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart modem mobile mode online but no internet

That is outdated firmware and might be the reason the internet is not working. Once the main link is working the firmware will automatically update. The internet should work via the 4 G backup while you are waiting for the main link to be connected. You could ring support and report a fault. There is nothing else you can do apart from checking the Enabled is ticked in the modem's Advanced > Mobile > Configuration settings.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3

The username and password in the PPPOE settings is only used for authentication on ADSL connections and is not required for internet using the 4 G backup. The modem might be faulty or the 4 G backup might be disabled. What version firmware does your modem have? The firmware is displayed on the LHS of the log in page. Your modem might have a early version of firmware.

EmptyG
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I tried the default username for pppoe at first, since its not working then I used my own account. The firmware version is 18.1.c.0241-950-RA. Not sure if it’s outdated. If there is any faulty, I believe that the mobile status can’t be connected. 

Accepted Solution

That is outdated firmware and might be the reason the internet is not working. Once the main link is working the firmware will automatically update. The internet should work via the 4 G backup while you are waiting for the main link to be connected. You could ring support and report a fault. There is nothing else you can do apart from checking the Enabled is ticked in the modem's Advanced > Mobile > Configuration settings.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now