CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Some OSs not seeing nbn Smart Modem

Answered

G'day,

Old Foxtel cable Smart Modem replaced with a new Smart Modem when NBN connected a few weeks ago.

Wifi good initially with my many Puppy Linux OSs connecting and running as before.

However, I'm now seeing some OSs not seeing the Wifi signal from the Smart Modem when logging on.  They all see weak signals from neighbours devices.

This non-registering of the Modem's SSID strong signal began with several Puppies on my laptop (using its in-built wifi) so I switched to a USB dongle which now sees the Smart Modem on more but not all of its Puppies (32-bit and 64-bit seems to make no difference).  Neighbours weak signal wifis are found all the time.  The 'Air' I see is theirs (weak) and not mine (strong) for the problem situations.

This failure to register with the Smart Modem  is now affecting a few on my main desktop with its otherwise perfect USB dongle.

Ethernet connection was all right on a one-off test with a Laptop Pup that would not register the Wifi a metre away from the Modem.  But ethernet is not presently practical - and wifi was fine to begin with.

A one-off check of the modem indicated nothing in the Blacklist when trying to connect with the USB.

Can this Smart Modem reject connection other than through the Blacklist? 
The same dongles are fine with most Pups and on different computers so the MAC address is not the issue?

Is this an NBN problem - cable pit outside known to get wet and a new connection was made during NBN installation due to damp copper Foxtel cable?  

Any help or advice welcome.

David S.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Some OSs not seeing nbn Smart Modem

G'day,

Thanks all for your helpful replies.

My problem is now fixed - the 'Smart Modem' now is seen by my USB dongle on my laptop with its 20+ Puppies.

The fix happened after I entered the Arcadyan (192.168.0.1 and default login) and looked at what I could that could be relevant.

Reset the DHCP range to 2-199 so my printer/scanner was now in the Static IP range (Arcadyan default was all DHCP but on the good old Smart Modem this was the range setting I'd adopted).

Refreshed a few lists and settings that offered this button - the Wifi Devices list looked too brief so quite a few Puppies were not listed.  However as each Puppy on the laptop with unique hostnames used the same MAC address USB wifi dongle, maybe the Arcadyan was 'confused' in some way.

I logged out from the Arcadyan and when I started up the laptop found wifi was back to where it had been with the old Smart Modem Smiley Surprised Smiley Happy .  Strong signal and readily logging in via the USB dongle.

Using the 'chicken soup' principle - it may help you and won't do any harm if it doesn't - I have changed the hostnames of every Pup on the laptop to the same name.  Still all good.

Slowly doing the same on my desktop but it has three times the number of different Puppy OSs but is a good 'isolation activity' I suppose.  'It's a ill wind that...'

David S.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Have the ones that no longer see the SSID been updated?

I saw some reports of Mac computers having the same problem, so it could be an underlying Unix driver issue.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Are the devices that can't connect if you firce the modem onto 4G backup by disconnecting WAnN port and waiting for front light to turn blue?

Highlighted

G'day Jupiter,

Not that I know of - 'updating' of what part of the OS would be involved?

Your post makes think I need to check the Puppies that no longer connect on my lap-top how they go on my desktop.

Gut-feel is there is no consistency between the two computers in this SSID-missing-from-the-scan for the same OS version.  But I don't have a clever gut, so should check this and make a list.

Thanks for the quick reply to my frustration.

David S.

Highlighted

G'day cf4,

Sorry but I don't know what you're are suggesting. 

Is it to drop/stop the cable wifi and then switch to Telstra Air?

When a Puppy scans for wifi networks and cannot see our Smart Modem Wifi, it also doesn't see the Telstra Air and the Fon associated with our NBN Modem.

When our Smart Modem is missing from the scan, should I try to connect to a neighbour's Telstra Air with its weak signal strength (if one is found - Air is not always present) , and see what happens?

No other devices here are showing this failure to see the Wifi Modem and for the rare times I start up Windows7 still on the laptop, it's been OK and found the SSID.

Thanks for your interest in this presently weird-to-me problem.

David S.

Highlighted

No I d't mean to connect to Telstra Air  For some reason unbeknow to me sometimes switich from NBN back enables thhe modem"s normal Wifi SSID to be vjsible on WiFi devices that didn't see it before.

Another option is to disable band steering in the modem. This adds -5G to modems 5GHz WiFi band. Some device don't like it when both bands have same SSID.

A third option is to change the WIFI channel in the modem.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - Is the Wi-Fi LED on the rear panel Green? What is the strong signal you are referring to - 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz? What SSID are you seeing with your USB - is it the common one for both bands or two separate SSIDs for each band - modem comes default set to Bandsteering ON at the 2.4 Ghz page, Disable that and SAVE, it should Broadcast both SSIDs.

Are you seeing valid Wi-Fi connection details to the Telstra Modem after you open up a CMD screen and type ip link and ifconfig?

Highlighted

Apologies @cf4  - I was responding to the OP dated 51 mins ago and got interrupted with a phone call. Didn't see your replies until after my response was listed.

Highlighted

Non-visiblity of Smart Modem in some Linux OSs continues.

I thought my Samsung laptop (circa 2012) where this was first noticed was at fault, or its in-built wifi which was showing weaker signals than a USB wifi adapter.

But the non-visibility of Modem with some Pups (not all) is now occurring with my HP desktop (circa 2006) and its wifi dongle.

But only with a few of the many versions of Puppy Linux on both machines.  Most are fine as they were before we switched Smart Modems when connected to the NBN from Foxtel cable.

New modem details:  Gateway Information
Serial No  ARC1944874746
Firmware Number  0.10.05r
Gateway Make Model  Arcadyan LH1000

WAN/DSL 
 MOBILE
MODE

MOBILE
SIGNAL

PHONE
 Mobile signal red dot, others green.

Puppy's wifi wizard scan looks like this for a good scan:
SmartModem seen good strength & connectionNo SmartModem, no connection
Any ideas - is the Modem hiding its SSID, in some way, for some but not all Pups? If so, how and where can I stop it doing this?
Affecting now two computers with different wifi dongles. 
I have not yet tried switched dongles
Re-installed a previously good Puppy that suddenly couldn't see the Smart Modem and it still cannot see our strong signal Smart Modem.
I haven't tried re-installing a still good Puppy to see if it is still good as a 'new' install.

David S.

Highlighted

Have you tried reducing the modem's transmit power? One off my laptops does not see the WiFi signal when close to the modem unless the WiFi output power is reduced to 50%

Highlighted

G'day cf4,

Thanks for the suggestion - I had wondered if the laptop was too close - almost in line-of-sight, about 4m away from the modem.

Rather than lower the power immediately (my wife is using her tablet in the same room as the modem without problem), I'll take my laptop further away and try it again to see any difference.

There's a mostly double-brick wall between the modem and my desktop - the two signal strength scans in different Puppies above were done a few minutes apart on the desktop.

Fingers crossed.

David S.

Highlighted

Not familiar with your virtual multi Linux Puppy platform - do they all share the CMD screen or have their own CMD? If some Pups can see the Smart Modem from the same hardware PC, it implies your Wi-Fi adaptor or USB works Ok, albeit with Wi-Fi adaptor drivers that may need updating if 2006/2012 hardware - assume Puppy updates these drivers a well. If some Pups are giving you a 3 bar or 37/70 signal strength and other Pups can't see it, it may suggest an OS issue with the individual Pup. 

Using a Pup that can not see the Gen 2 modem through a scan window, with Wi-Fi enabled, can you open up its individual CMD screen and try the two commands I referenced previously to verify credentials and also ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever address you have for the modem) - hit Control + C after 10-15 entries and see if a valid connection exists with 0% packet loss. If all OK there, it may be a Distro issue.

And now a word from my sponsor - Go Bionic Beaver! 

Highlighted

G'day Mkrtich,

As Spike Milligan might have said: "Snap!"    Posting now from BionicPup64 - a Puppy built using some basics from Bionic Beaver but keeping it lightweight.  I could have started this morning with a Pup made from Tahr, Xenial, or other recent non-LTS Ubuntu versions, or a Slackware Puppy or a Debian Puppy.

Sorry, I don't understand your use of 'virtual multi Linux' - each Puppy is a stand-alone OS so I just pick one to run when I start up.  I have three Grub menu lists - 32-bit Pups, 64-bit Pups and "traditional" install Pups.  There's over 50 separate Puppy OSs on this desktop, which brings me to ask:

Is there a limit to the number of "devices" that this Smart Modem can handle?  Is it possible it refuses to acknowledge another puppyxxxxx trying to connect.  Each Puppy has its own pc name at present - puppypc followed by four random numbers.  I see these names in the Modem's list of devices, some with a green dot, some with a red. 

full list from Modem now

But I suspect none of the Puppies are listed with which I could not see the Modem's SSID, just some of the neighbours' wifis.

And strangely, I'm on 192.168.0.13 with this BionicPup64 now and I don't see it in this list either???  What does the dot colour signify?

On the old Smart Modem, I had no problems of this type - it's the new Smart Modem and the NBN that are co-incident this problem with my WiFi.

As that Modem had been trouble-free, and we still have it in the loft, I wonder if it would be OK to switch back to for a test - I thought it was NBN compliant so was a little surprised when the technician took a new one out of his box when connecting the NBN.

Thanks for your continued interest in my still-strange-to-me problem.

David S.

Highlighted

G'day again Mkrtich,

Ooops - I meant to say I'll run those command line instructions you asked for on a non-seen Puppy and report back.

Thanks & regards,

David S.

Highlighted

Yes, Spike's most famous line is on his tombstone - " I told you I was sick".

I have very basic exposure to Unbuntu Bionic Beaver on my Nvidia Jetson Nano and Raspberry Pi Raspbian (Debian) and was not aware if Puppy had one overriding systems admin control over each of it's cut down OS versions or each OS was self contained and managed within its own structure; that is why I called it a Virtual Multi Linux Platform. 

Do you have a Technicolor Smart Modem DJA0230/0231- on my test unit DJA0230, an Active Wi-Fi device comes up Green button, an Non Active one comes up Grey. I have found that the Wi-Fi Devices screen in the Arcadyan Smart Modem does not reflect actual status in real time, it keeps entries of previous wireless devices and their assigned IP address shown in the list, but with no Green Tick if they are not actually connected. Most of the those that are not connected are from visitors who do not reside at home and left the premises; maybe it keeps them for when they return back into the network on their next visit. Perhaps that is what your Red buttons mean; the modem may classify non active previously used Pups from your PC's Wi-Fi Adaptor as absent from the building but keeps their details for any future connections. 

puppypc28794 has two MAC addresses with two different IP addresses, one showing dual stack IPV4/IPV6 address, then the entry showing IPV4 - may be same the PC with and without USB adaptor. 

There is a limit to the number of wireless concurrent devices a modem can accommodate, and this is defined by the band in use, the Channel, how many concurrent devices are connected, their adaptor's speed capability, the duration of media the device is accessing or transmitting  - at the end of the day, there is a finite amount of time that the modem CPU and two radios have to splice and in order to manage and maintain service to all devices. The actual number of concurrent users level remains a mystery to me on the Telstra Modems as it is not published.  I don't think that is an issue with your situation.

If the old Smart Modem is the DJN2130, you should be OK - not sure if it has 4G LTE Data and Voice Backup. 

Highlighted

G'day Mkrtich,

Thanks for the reply.

My presently loft-residing and dust-collecting 'old' Smart Modem is a DJA0231.

Your comments about the button colour for the Arcadyan's device list sound correct.  Some are of devices used by visitors and the list looks far from complete for what it should have in terms of past and present Puppy connections.

Early on with this Modem, at different times, I probably made two connections with some Puppies, one using the laptop's in-built Wifi, another with a USB adapter.  So same computer and OS but different MACs.  I've also tried a second USB dongle once but with the same result.

Your comment about the number of concurrent devices also sounds reasonable to me.

Here are the terminal results for a wifi modem-missing 32bit Pup (EaonPup - new installation) and then for a good 32-bit Pup on the laptop (a BionicPup - older installation).

EoanPup32-ping resultEoanPup wifi scan - neighbours onlyBionicPup32 - ping result

When I was on this forum a while ago when trying to understand the old Smart Modem (had to use a different log-in now for some reason), suggestions were made regarding the DHCP range of addresses and to set the lease time to as long as possible.

I was wondering if or how this could affect my present situation?  Our networked wifi printer has a static address (I thought) but the present range seems all DHCP (2-254).  Maybe it would be better to give a computer a static address and see if it's any better (that is, reset the Modem's DHCP range to some thing like 2-150; the printer at 192.168.0.200 would then be in the static IP range again?

David S.

Highlighted

Yes, I think it is good practice to shorten the dynamically assigned range to 2-200 and have all fixed addresses set up to over 200 - I have done that following suggestions I have read on the web and have my HP colour network printer and Apple Time Capsule in Bridge mode assigned with static IP addresses in the over 200 range. It may prevent otherwise intermittent confused DHCP assignments from that visitors list of semi-reserved IP addresses. 

The EoanPup32 can't get a Wi-Fi link to 192.168.0.1 and shows both possible links as DOWN. Using the same line commands , for BionicPup32, the wlp'881f02f5off1' name (assume integrated PC Wi-Fi Adaptor MAC address) shows UP and the wlp' 650b1' name (no MAC address shown - assume it is the USB Wi-Fi Adaptor ) shows DOWN for later.

My Jetson Nano uses Bionic Beaver 64bit code and just shows wl0 in the CMD screens - I have a small 2.4Ghz USB Wingle connected to it. 

When you select an alternative OS, do you Hot Swap to another one without powering down or are you restarting the PC so that it boots up fresh and gets a fresh IP address for the associated Pup? I can't think of a reason why it would otherwise be rejected maybe due to a conflict allocation and if it continues, perhaps the Puppy Forum may have similar posts for research. 

Your 'old' DJA0231 is the current modem and should eventually update to the newest firmware version 18.1.c.0462.950-RB.

Highlighted

When setting up static IP LAN address I find it easier to set the static IP address in the modem rather than the devices.

When allocating an IP address the modem allocates the address based on the MAC address of the network adapter. If one puppy Linux can connect and gets an IP address all other puppy Linuxes on the PC will be allocated the same LAN IP address when they connect. I don't think the modem is blocking the WiFi because the modem has run out of LAN IP address. If you have set up different static IP address for each puppy Linux on the PC that might prevent them connecting to the modem.

Highlighted

G'day cf4,

Thanks for the information.

Trying to isolate the problem, I've been changing the hostnames of each Puppy on the laptop from their unique ones to the same one.  So these will have the same hostname as well as MAC address since they are all using the same USB wifi adapter.  With over twenty Puppy OSs on the laptop, it's taking a little while to do this.

Moving the laptop further away from the Smart Modem to reduce its signal power did not help.

I was advised on the Puppy Forum to try changing the wifi channel as interference from other wifis around our home could be involved.  Would changing the channel affect all the other devices here that do not have a problem seeing the new Smart Modem?

If corona-virus panic buying hasn't depleted Australian supplies of laptops, it might be time to get serious about a new laptop, even though this is the newest computer I have.

David S.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

G'day,

Thanks all for your helpful replies.

My problem is now fixed - the 'Smart Modem' now is seen by my USB dongle on my laptop with its 20+ Puppies.

The fix happened after I entered the Arcadyan (192.168.0.1 and default login) and looked at what I could that could be relevant.

Reset the DHCP range to 2-199 so my printer/scanner was now in the Static IP range (Arcadyan default was all DHCP but on the good old Smart Modem this was the range setting I'd adopted).

Refreshed a few lists and settings that offered this button - the Wifi Devices list looked too brief so quite a few Puppies were not listed.  However as each Puppy on the laptop with unique hostnames used the same MAC address USB wifi dongle, maybe the Arcadyan was 'confused' in some way.

I logged out from the Arcadyan and when I started up the laptop found wifi was back to where it had been with the old Smart Modem Smiley Surprised Smiley Happy .  Strong signal and readily logging in via the USB dongle.

Using the 'chicken soup' principle - it may help you and won't do any harm if it doesn't - I have changed the hostnames of every Pup on the laptop to the same name.  Still all good.

Slowly doing the same on my desktop but it has three times the number of different Puppy OSs but is a good 'isolation activity' I suppose.  'It's a ill wind that...'

David S.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Glad to see a good outcome for your situation. It was a good learning exercise for me in regards to device name and MAC address associations. I was not aware of Puppy Linux before I read your post - it all adds to the jig saw puzzle pieces we all accumulate by reading how some technical issues are resolved. Cheers.  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more