CrowdSupport®
Mappy
Level 5: Eagle Eye

T-Voice-503 handsets and Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TL phones dropping out

Telstra DECT cordless handsets T-Voice-503 paired to a Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TLS (Technicolor) frequently loose their VOIP connection. Have three T-Voice-503 paired to the modem they all loose their connection every two or three days. Having to often reboot the moden to re-establish the T-Voice-503 phone connection. An analog phone Telstra 7400a connected to the green ATA phone port on the modem still works when the DECT T-Voice-503 phone connection fails. My connection to Telstra is via the NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial cable (HFC). Broadband internet works fine without any interruption.

Modem software 18.1c

Modem firmware version 18.1c 0347-950-RC

Handset version TelstraCATiqH6886

I assume as Telstra sell the T-Voice-503 handsets they should be compatible with the Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TLS.

If anyone has a solution on how to overcome this problem please let me know.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
32 REPLIES 32
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: T-Voice-503 handsets and Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TL phones dropping out

Hi Mappy, 

Thanks for using Crowd Support and sorry to hear of the issues with your T-Voice-503 handsets. Has our NBN technical support team looked into this for you before? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mappy

Re: T-Voice-503 handsets and Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TL phones dropping out

Thanks lain_T

No this my first attempt in trying to find someone how might be able to help or who has experienced a similar problem.

Mappy

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No worries. Be best to have our NBN team check on this with you. For NBN technical support please give us a call on 1800 834 273 and we can check on this for you.

Let us know if you have any trouble there. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mappy

Thanks for that.

I'l try and give them a call during working hours next week.

Mappy

Mappy

Did as you suggested called NBN technical support team. Since my last post the problem has resurfaced twice.

Unfortunately the response I got was of no help in regards to my problem with the T-voice-503 handsets and the DECT side of the DJA0231TL Telstra Smart modem Gen 2. They ran through some phone connectivity test to verify the modem worked with incoming and outgoing calls using the analog phone ATA port. As that seemed to work they informed me nothing was wrong with my phone and modem. I told them its not the analog phone I have a problem with its the DECT t-voice-503 handsets. I got the impression that they weren't too clued up on the DECT side of the modems operation. They suggested I take the handset to a Telstra shop to have it checked out and reset. But that is not a likely source of the failure as there are three handsets involved all work for a period and fail at the same time.

The handsets loose access to the DECT side of the modem.
The intercom between handsets stops working.
Access to the saved phone contacts in the modem is unavailable.
Access to call lists is unavailable.
Can't ring out or receive calls using the T-voice handsets.
When I call the home number from my mobile I get a busy tone and even the analog phone ATA port doesn't ring. However I can ring out using the analog phone.
Resetting the modem restores all DECT functionality until the next failure event.
I tried modem factory reset a couple of times it did not help. Trouble with factory reset is you also loose the contact list each time which is a pain. I can't find a way to save the contact list or modem configuration before doing a factory reset.
When I originally got the modem it had a different firmware version to what it runs now.
I cannot recollect  having this problem originally with the handsets they ran OK  trouble free for weeks, it is only recently they started to play up.

Tom19
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am having exactly the same issue, the 503 is ok for about 4-5 days then looses connectivity with the Gen2 smart modem. The only way I can re-pair , is to reset the modem. It is not an NBN problem as my direct wired phone is fine.

The problem being that there is no notification that the DECT link has failed, only if there is an incoming call, or I go to make a call I discover the link fail.

The modem shows the 503 is still connected, but the handset cannot find the base.

Come On Telstra, how about a real answer, not just a theory as to what may have happened!!!

Level 22: Superhuman

Hello,

Would be interested to hear from both of you if you have Gen 2 Arcadyane or Technicolor modems? The maker is towards the bottom  and / or on the box.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"
Mappy

Hi ProfessorPhone

My gateway is a technicolor DJA02031

Look like many other users are experiencing this same problem.

My gut feel is that it has something to do with recent firmware updates.

Initially all the DECT CATiq 2.0 compatible features worked fine for about three months or more. Only recently has this failure been occurring.  There have been at least three FW updates rolled out that I'm aware of from when I initially got the modem

There is another reference to my problem at this link.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Smart-Modem-Gen-2-DECT/td-p/832430

from what I hear there may be a FW update coming this week but whether it addresses this problem is unknown at this stage.

Cheers Mappy

Tom19

Hello Prof

My modem is a Technicolour DJA0231.

Regards

Tom

Tom19

Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
Technicolor DJA0231
Software Version
18.1.c
Firmware Version
18.1.c.0347-950-RC
Hardware Version
VCNT-A
DSL Version
A2pvfbH043k.d26t

Tried to post this yesterday, but dont know what happened.
Try 2

Regards
Tom
MikeyK
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

any updates on a firmware release for this?  Same issue, Technicolor Gen 2 box with two 503 DECT handsets which every day or two I’ll find are sitting idle with ‘Searching’ on their screens and the only way to reconnect them is to reboot the gen 2.

Michael

Mappy

Hi MikeyK

I too am waiting for a fix. It is very frustrating as I can't connect with someone in Telstra who is technically savy enough on the operation of DECT phones and gateways.

Call centre folk and Telstra NBN technical support staff have been of no help to me so far.

NBN technical staff suggested I take the phones to a Telstra shop and have them checked out. Chances of three handsets failing with the identical fault is highly unlikely. Besides after a gateway reboot I've observed they work again from anywhere to less than a day to once up to six days.

I submitted a written complaint to Telstra, after a week I got a call back from a person who handles complaints. Their response was that the Telstra DJA0231 gateways are not compatible with T-Voice-503 handsets. When I pointed out that the handsets and gateway comply with the DECT CATiq-2.0 specification which means they are compatible and should work together. Besides at one point Telstra were giving away T-Voice-503 handsets with the DJA0231 gateways. Looks like one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Earlier on in fact my T-Voice-503 worked fine for many weeks, it is only in the past month or so the drop out problem started. The Telstra person then said she would elevate the complaint but I haven't heard back from them in over two weeks.

There is another post that I have been communicating with.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Smart-Modem-Gen-2-DECT/m-p/832430

A guy there called (Cf4 SupremeBeing) seems to be fairly clued up and in the loop so you might be better to ask him about FW updates.

So far as of today I still get the failure and haven't noticed any change in FW 18.1c 0347-950-RC numbering in the DJA0231 technicolor gateway.

This seems to be a very widespread problem many users are complaining.

Mappy

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

FW upgrade which includes a fix for this issue is due to start in a few days 

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Mappy

Hi 

Thanks for that feedback. I hope you are right as this has been a very annoying issue for many users.

Regards Mappy

Tom19

I am still very frustrated with this problem, Having to check the handset all the time to see if it still has a connection.

Is it possible to force a firmware upgrade, as I am still operating on 034-950-RC.

Is anyone with the upgrade still having the DECtT problem???

Tom19

Come on Guys, some Telstra feedback would be good. Have had to go back to a hard wired phone. Still no firmware update to see if this will solve the problem.

Hmmmm!, life was so easy with telephonists and magneto phones...............

mattygl

Hi,

I am having the same problem but I was only connected to the NBN a couple of months ago. I tried to use an analogue cordless phone but that was not all that successful. I did some research and the recommendation there and also in the Tshop was ot use the T-voice503 DECT phone. So I hunted for a whole weekend to find one as they were in very short supply. Once I found one I thought my problems would be over. How wrong I was. I am having to constantly monitor the status of my phone connection as it randomly drops out every 3-4 days. this has been happening since I first got the phone about three weeks ago. Starting to get rather frustrated and angry.

Really need a permanent fix and from looking at the recent posts, it needs to happen fast.

Mappy

My gateway finally received the much awaited 18.1.c0384-950-RB firmware update this morning.
Had to reboot the modem after the download before the DECT and analog phone would work.
The DECT phones worked normally for eleven hour before they dropped out again.
Sadly it seems like the FW update has not fixed the DECT phone dropout problem.
Other users are also reporting that this problem is still ongoing.
Getting tired of having to reboot the Gateway almost on a daily basis in order to keep the phones working.
Come on Telstra we have been waiting for months, when can we expect to get this issue fixed.

Mappy

Hi

My ongoing saga with DECT phone dropouts.
The recent 18.1.c.0384-350-RB FW update has not fixed the problem for me.
The dropouts continue on a daily basis.

What I have noticed during the failure is the following.
I have three DECT phones paired to the gateway and they all indicate searching during the failure event. The phones are located at various distances from the gateway ranging from about 4 meters to 15 meters. Well within the specified operating range. Interestingly when I moved each phone to about 10cm away from the gateway they all started to data synch and all DECT functions started to work. I could make phone calls. When moving the phones away again from the gateway only 2 meters or less they all went into the failure searching mode again. This leads me to believe the gateway DECT radio transmission during the failure is somehow being attenuated. Whether this is hardware or software related I can't determine. Rebooting the gateway restores normal operation until next time.
Would be interested to hear if other users get the same results when DECT phones dropout.
One other thing I would like to find out is if there are hardware differences between Technicolor DJA0231 Ver3 and the latest now being sold DJA0231 Ver9 . Mine is Version 3.

Regards Mappy

Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

@Mappy- well done. I think you have revealed a good path for investigation by the programmers for correcting this issue. Seems like the Modem may be exhibiting confusion and possibly putting the T-Voice 503 into Eco+ mode (p33 of User Guide). Not aware of what the Gen 2 actually does when Eco+ Mode is activated in regards to reducing the integral base station transmission levels.

Some DECT systems have two Eco modes - (i) Eco where power is reduced by up to 80-90% to extend battery life of handset and (ii) e.g. on a Gigaset, Eco+ turns off the transmission completely and will wake up the handset when a call is received or initiated. 

Mappy

Hi Mkrtich

That raises another query for me to do  with the ECO+ mode.

When I go to to DECT settings ECO+ in the handsets the De-activate selection is hi-lighted.

I assume this means ECO+ is currently activated.

I then select deactivate and it asks for the pin which when entered then OK pressed indicates the selection is being saved.

However when I go back to check the handset setting it seems to not have moved out of the activate state. The De-activate state remains Hi-lighted. Is this normal or a problem, maybe this gateway doesn't support the ECO+ mode?

Mkrtich

Hi Mappy - Not sure and we may have to discount the Eco+ theory and maybe back to the drawing board. On release the Gen 2 modems supported CAT-iq2.0 which does not have power saving as a mandatory feature. Unless there has been a recent feature update in the Gen 2 last firmware release which provided CAT-iq2.1 support to allow power saving and more user functionality.

The handset Eco+ mode feature implies it may be capable of power saving  - it may be CAT-iq2.1 or it may be a semi proprietary function which works on DECT GAP only base stations, a subset of CAT-iq2.0.  It doesn't appear to work with the Gen 2 modem, so not sure where the incompatibly issue resides. One of the readers may confirm if the Eco+ Activate feature ever worked for them on a Gen2 modem in the past.

From Wikipedia - CAT-iq 2.1 "Green" (ETSI TS 102 527-5) Adds 3-party conference, call intrusion, caller blocking (CLIR), answering machine control, SMS on handsets, power-saving modes for handset and base

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAT-iq

Mappy

Hi Mkrtich

Thanks for that.

For a moment there I thought you were on to something.
I guess going by the menu selections in the T-Voice 503 handset is probably CATiq-2.1 compatible hence the ECO+ option. Don't know who manufactures the handsets for Telstra.
I have not been able to located a user manual or datasheet for the Technicolor DJA0231 Gateway either. I believe the gateway uses a Broadcom BCM9631138 SoC. Can't find a datasheet for that either only a general description which mentions DECT.
So don't really know if it only DECT or CATiq compatible, but as it is able to store a contacts list it suggest at least CATiq-2.0 compatible.
Meanwhile still curious to find out if other users can get their T503 handsets to function when the failure is present and the handsets are held in very close proximity to the Gateway.

Mkrtich

Mappy - I understand the T-Voice 503 is made by Vtech for Telstra and the specs indicate CAT-iq2.0. They also made the previous model T-Voice 502.  The T-Voice 503 may also have received a firmware update since release but I have only ever seen one firmware reference to it on this forum - H6886? According to Whirlpool web posts, the Technicolor DJA0231 has a Broadcom BCM63168 SoC. The two Wi-Fi radios may be the same as from the DJA0230, BCM4360 for 2.4Ghz and BCM4366 for 5 Ghz (not sure if that is the case or up to date information now as there are 4 internal antennae cables connected to each radio chipset implying 4x4:4 per radio - they may both be BCM4366 - the packaging states its a 3x3:3 and a 4x4:4 arrangement which is not consistent with the internals).

The DJA 0231 and DJA 0230 both conform to CATiq-2.0 - this is a standard for integrated Gateway (Modem/Router) applications only and Telstra is one of the early adopters being first to market a modem which has conformance to that specification. 

Broadcom don't like to give much information on their SoC capabilities unless you register your interest with them on their web site, so although it only states the BCM63168 SoC does DECT on Broadcom site, one has to assume it does CATiq-2.0 as well.   

SoC - https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

The closest you will get with the DJA0231 specifications and User Manual is @cf4 's legendary unofficial manual on the DJA0230 - page 30 for specs - great work.  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Frontier-DJN2130-Unofficial-D...

Mappy

Thanks for that well researched reply.

As my gateway is still under warranty I have resisted the temptation to look inside to view the internals.
You mention the Broadcom WiFi radio chips for 2.4Ghz an 5Ghz. As DECT operates in the 1880-1900 MHz frequency band, I assume there must also be a DECT radio chip in there somewhere.

My T-voice 503 handset indicate Handset version TelstraCATiqH6886 when selecting upgrade it comes back with SW Up to Date. The T503 Software has not changes in the seven months since I aquired the handsets.

Yes the DJA0230 user manual by Cf4 is a very useful reference thanks.

Mkrtich

Yes there is a DECT Chipset in there which operates under the supervision of the SoC; its got two antennae, mini coax and metal bar. The 4G LTE chipset also has two antennae. A total of 12 antennae! I wouldn't encourage any owner to dismantle their working modems, I acquired a faulty one and have since donated it to someone else for further analysis. It was impossible for me to remove the battleship quality heat sinks, so I couldn't verify the actual hardware chipsets components apart from those that had no heat sinks.

Its a very high quality of design and manufacture, two PCBs separated by a metal grill cage, one does SoC, RAM, 802.11ac, LAN/WAN ports, DSL, USB3 and power arrangements , the other one does 4G LTE, 802.11a/b/g/n, DECT, PSTN and Phone, LTE SIM and Firmware. Impressed. 

Technicolor and OpenWRT have a long term established relationship which speeds up time to market, the other side of that is the increasing frequency of patches needed to correct unforeseen problems that arise as more functionality is embedded into the modem. These issues may take time to resolve as they are generally done in batches.

Whilst it gets sorted out in future firmware release, a temporary bandaid solution for you may be an analog cordless phone system connected to the Phone Port. 

Mappy

Thanks for the time and effort you have put in answering my queries. I'll take your advice and hook up a DECT phone system via the analog ATA port as an interim solution until software patches catch up to fix this bug.

My latest DECT phone dropout today caused more confusion for me.
On two previous times when the data synch (dropout) failure occurred the handset indicated searching. By moving the T503 handset very close to the gateway data synch could be re-established. Moving away by a meter or so data synch was lost again.
However today when the dropout occurred the displayed info on the T503 was normal. You couldn't tell just by looking at the phone that anything was amiss. It didn't go into the usual searching mode to make it obvious. But all the usual DECT functions were lost. I wasn't able to re-establish data synch by placing the T503 right next to the gateway. There may be more than a single failure mode involved.

Mick-NA

Hi there i have the same setup because the old telstra max gateway blew up after an NBN outage and went and got a new Technicolor DJA0231 (1838VAA2W) only to have the old supported t-voice 502 which works fine have a continuous drop out every 1 to 2 days where no calls can be received or made the only way i have fixed this is by login into the modem deregistered it like 5 times, then increasing the pairing window time out to 300ms instead of 180 otherwise resetting the modem is the only way that this connects even tho it is suppose to be supported being a dect sip phone.

telstra really needs address their compatibility issues with older and newer hardware before telling people yes its supported and it should work etc its bad enough that all contacts in the phone was wiped and no way of importing them, only to have more issues and problems and telstra themselves not knowing how to fix the issue and oh yeah here buy a new phone extra so that's $216 for the modem and then whatever for phone its a joke they make over 4bill per year off us the customer and have such poor services

Mappy

Hi Mick-NA

Looks like you got lumbered with the dreaded Technicolor DJA0231 DECT phone dropout problem like many of us.  Telstra I believe is aware of this and hopefully will in time come up with a software patch to fix it.  But this could take a along while. The quickest way to get the phones back working again is to unplug the DJA0231 for say 10 seconds then plug it in again. This reboots the DJA0231 Gateway and you should not loose the stored contacts list nor having to re-register the phones. There is a way to save the base contacts list but not any other personal configuration changes you may have made when doing a factory reset. If you log into the user interface via a browser URL 192.168.0.1 admin password Telstra. Select the advanced tab then from the menu select Modem. Put a tick in the retain contacts check box before pressing the Factory Default reset. That will retain the base contacts list. When registering the phones to the gateway via the gateway's pairing push button it is important hold the button pushed in for about 10 seconds. If you let go too soon the pairing mode is not activated so the phones won't register. The other pairing option if you are already logged into the gateway is go to advance select Telephony then pairing handset start.
I'm not familiar with the T-Voice-502 phone but for the T-Voice-503 the default 180 second pairing window is sufficient for the phone to be registered.
Sadly like the rest of us for the foreseeable future you will have to get used to rebooting the gateway every day or so until Telstra comes up with a fix. As far as I'm aware as yet nobody has come up with a work around for this problem.

mattygl

Interesting point.

I have been monitoring these posts and also keeping track of my own situation.

I do seem to have all the latest firmware updates looking at the previous posts.

However, since my last post three weeks ago I have not had one single drop out and while we do not get too many landline calls any more all the calls that have come in we have been able to answer.

I have now probably jinxed us now, but I am happy that it seems to be working.

Mick-NA

it was bundled in a NBN package from telstra with the technicolor Image result for tg799 v3 max nbn kitRelated image now the phone had all the contacts in it, thus stored in the modem itself like the smart modem gen 2 that replaced the 799vac v3 i had that died when an nbn outage happened (still lights up but just doesn't do anything) put new modem in pressed button no more contacts and no more ways of importing contacts which was done via the tvoice app

Image result for t-voice appand the t-hub and any android phone and or tablet which could be used as a phone which was very handy until telstra killed it like all older hardware and stuff 

chipp
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Mappy

Have just this morning tried to pair a T-Voice 503 to a DJA0231 with no success for a friend. Have paired that same phone with my DJA0230 with no problems..

After reading all these posts it looks like a money back job and original phones..

Thanks everyone for these posts....

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now