Mappy
Level 3: Gumshoe

T-Voice-503 handsets and Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TL phones dropping out

Telstra DECT cordless handsets T-Voice-503 paired to a Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TLS (Technicolor) frequently loose their VOIP connection. Have three T-Voice-503 paired to the modem they all loose their connection every two or three days. Having to often reboot the moden to re-establish the T-Voice-503 phone connection. An analog phone Telstra 7400a connected to the green ATA phone port on the modem still works when the DECT T-Voice-503 phone connection fails. My connection to Telstra is via the NBN Hybrid Fibre Coaxial cable (HFC). Broadband internet works fine without any interruption.

Modem software 18.1c

Modem firmware version 18.1c 0347-950-RC

Handset version TelstraCATiqH6886

I assume as Telstra sell the T-Voice-503 handsets they should be compatible with the Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TLS.

If anyone has a solution on how to overcome this problem please let me know.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Support Team
Support Team

Re: T-Voice-503 handsets and Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TL phones dropping out

Hi Mappy, 

Thanks for using Crowd Support and sorry to hear of the issues with your T-Voice-503 handsets. Has our NBN technical support team looked into this for you before? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mappy

Re: T-Voice-503 handsets and Telstra Smart modem Gen2 DJA0231TL phones dropping out

Thanks lain_T

No this my first attempt in trying to find someone how might be able to help or who has experienced a similar problem.

Mappy

Support Team
Support Team

No worries. Be best to have our NBN team check on this with you. For NBN technical support please give us a call on 1800 834 273 and we can check on this for you.

Let us know if you have any trouble there. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mappy

Thanks for that.

I'l try and give them a call during working hours next week.

Mappy

Mappy

Did as you suggested called NBN technical support team. Since my last post the problem has resurfaced twice.

Unfortunately the response I got was of no help in regards to my problem with the T-voice-503 handsets and the DECT side of the DJA0231TL Telstra Smart modem Gen 2. They ran through some phone connectivity test to verify the modem worked with incoming and outgoing calls using the analog phone ATA port. As that seemed to work they informed me nothing was wrong with my phone and modem. I told them its not the analog phone I have a problem with its the DECT t-voice-503 handsets. I got the impression that they weren't too clued up on the DECT side of the modems operation. They suggested I take the handset to a Telstra shop to have it checked out and reset. But that is not a likely source of the failure as there are three handsets involved all work for a period and fail at the same time.

The handsets loose access to the DECT side of the modem.
The intercom between handsets stops working.
Access to the saved phone contacts in the modem is unavailable.
Access to call lists is unavailable.
Can't ring out or receive calls using the T-voice handsets.
When I call the home number from my mobile I get a busy tone and even the analog phone ATA port doesn't ring. However I can ring out using the analog phone.
Resetting the modem restores all DECT functionality until the next failure event.
I tried modem factory reset a couple of times it did not help. Trouble with factory reset is you also loose the contact list each time which is a pain. I can't find a way to save the contact list or modem configuration before doing a factory reset.
When I originally got the modem it had a different firmware version to what it runs now.
I cannot recollect  having this problem originally with the handsets they ran OK  trouble free for weeks, it is only recently they started to play up.

Tom19

I am having exactly the same issue, the 503 is ok for about 4-5 days then looses connectivity with the Gen2 smart modem. The only way I can re-pair , is to reset the modem. It is not an NBN problem as my direct wired phone is fine.

The problem being that there is no notification that the DECT link has failed, only if there is an incoming call, or I go to make a call I discover the link fail.

The modem shows the 503 is still connected, but the handset cannot find the base.

Come On Telstra, how about a real answer, not just a theory as to what may have happened!!!

Level 22: Superhuman

Hello,

Would be interested to hear from both of you if you have Gen 2 Arcadyane or Technicolor modems? The maker is towards the bottom  and / or on the box.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Mappy

Hi ProfessorPhone

My gateway is a technicolor DJA02031

Look like many other users are experiencing this same problem.

My gut feel is that it has something to do with recent firmware updates.

Initially all the DECT CATiq 2.0 compatible features worked fine for about three months or more. Only recently has this failure been occurring.  There have been at least three FW updates rolled out that I'm aware of from when I initially got the modem

There is another reference to my problem at this link.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Smart-Modem-Gen-2-DECT/td-p/832430

from what I hear there may be a FW update coming this week but whether it addresses this problem is unknown at this stage.

Cheers Mappy

Tom19

Hello Prof

My modem is a Technicolour DJA0231.

Regards

Tom

Tom19

Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
Technicolor DJA0231
Software Version
18.1.c
Firmware Version
18.1.c.0347-950-RC
Hardware Version
VCNT-A
DSL Version
A2pvfbH043k.d26t

Tried to post this yesterday, but dont know what happened.
Try 2

Regards
Tom
MikeyK
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

any updates on a firmware release for this?  Same issue, Technicolor Gen 2 box with two 503 DECT handsets which every day or two I’ll find are sitting idle with ‘Searching’ on their screens and the only way to reconnect them is to reboot the gen 2.

Michael

Mappy

Hi MikeyK

I too am waiting for a fix. It is very frustrating as I can't connect with someone in Telstra who is technically savy enough on the operation of DECT phones and gateways.

Call centre folk and Telstra NBN technical support staff have been of no help to me so far.

NBN technical staff suggested I take the phones to a Telstra shop and have them checked out. Chances of three handsets failing with the identical fault is highly unlikely. Besides after a gateway reboot I've observed they work again from anywhere to less than a day to once up to six days.

I submitted a written complaint to Telstra, after a week I got a call back from a person who handles complaints. Their response was that the Telstra DJA0231 gateways are not compatible with T-Voice-503 handsets. When I pointed out that the handsets and gateway comply with the DECT CATiq-2.0 specification which means they are compatible and should work together. Besides at one point Telstra were giving away T-Voice-503 handsets with the DJA0231 gateways. Looks like one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Earlier on in fact my T-Voice-503 worked fine for many weeks, it is only in the past month or so the drop out problem started. The Telstra person then said she would elevate the complaint but I haven't heard back from them in over two weeks.

There is another post that I have been communicating with.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Smart-Modem-Gen-2-DECT/m-p/832430

A guy there called (Cf4 SupremeBeing) seems to be fairly clued up and in the loop so you might be better to ask him about FW updates.

So far as of today I still get the failure and haven't noticed any change in FW 18.1c 0347-950-RC numbering in the DJA0231 technicolor gateway.

This seems to be a very widespread problem many users are complaining.

Mappy

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

FW upgrade which includes a fix for this issue is due to start in a few days 

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Mappy

Hi 

Thanks for that feedback. I hope you are right as this has been a very annoying issue for many users.

Regards Mappy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now