CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
bravotango
Level 2: Rookie

TG797n modem continuous drop outs

Answered

I have had the Thompson TG797n ADSL modem installed for five days now and getting frequent drop outs every five minutes.

This usually happens just when I am trying to do something, like open a web page or chjeck emails.

I turned the modem on while with the computer off and with no activity it never drops out.

I also turned on the wifi and used a tablet with wifi and it never dropped out but extremely slow on the tablet.

So it seems that the modem is not happy with computer software using the gateway though this is the whole purpose of having a modem.

I notice it also drops out frequently when it is being used by hidden services such as Mailwasher and Norton.

Any ideas what would be causing this problem and what I can do to fix it would be appreciated.

Just to log in here and post this query the modem dropped out about twenty times each time I was kicked off the web page (which was slow loading) and directed to the Technicolor Gateway page and had to reload the log-in page and repeat the process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bravotango
Accepted Solution

Re: TG797n modem continuous drop outs

Thanks for the advice but I suspect that 'My Online Toolkit' may have changed some settings as I had a complete day without any drop outs after installing that application.
Secondly any attempt to follow the directions to attempt to log on to bigpond.com causes a re-direction to http://media.telstra.com.au/home.html so the idea of changing a profile seems out of date or erroneous.
As I said in another post 'My Online Toolkit' may be responsible for fixing up some settings but the installation and guidance for this application can only be described as awful. After several warnings to have no browser windows open during the installation it does not indicate when the installation is complete but simply launches a web page and claims to be checking the health of the computer forever.
Thirdly re 'My Online Toolkit' there is no guidance as to how to use this program and there is no access even though it places a shortcut on the desktop.
Clicking on this shortcut brings up a web page login getting back to the useless web page as mentioned before.

Having said that I will live with it if it seems to be fixing up the errors.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BravoTango,

When it comes to disconnections on the modem, I always suggest performing the checks listed in the following links: 

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501... & https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles

If you continue to experience disconnections and your service remains steady when not used by the computer, I would suggest performing a factory reset of the modem and reconfiguring to see if this resolves the issue.

Of course, there could be a fault in the network which could be impacting this service, so if all else fails, please contact our Tech Support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat https://livechat.telstra.com/ so that this can be investigated.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

bravotango
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the advice but I suspect that 'My Online Toolkit' may have changed some settings as I had a complete day without any drop outs after installing that application.
Secondly any attempt to follow the directions to attempt to log on to bigpond.com causes a re-direction to http://media.telstra.com.au/home.html so the idea of changing a profile seems out of date or erroneous.
As I said in another post 'My Online Toolkit' may be responsible for fixing up some settings but the installation and guidance for this application can only be described as awful. After several warnings to have no browser windows open during the installation it does not indicate when the installation is complete but simply launches a web page and claims to be checking the health of the computer forever.
Thirdly re 'My Online Toolkit' there is no guidance as to how to use this program and there is no access even though it places a shortcut on the desktop.
Clicking on this shortcut brings up a web page login getting back to the useless web page as mentioned before.

Having said that I will live with it if it seems to be fixing up the errors.

kb1948

had problems with dropouts

managed to return modem for refund

it appears modem locks up thats why you need to reset

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now