CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
carlosc
Level 1: Cadet

TG797n v3 firmware update

Answered

I have a TG797n v3 and my current firmware is 10.3.v.2 and somewhere here i found that there is an update to version 10.3.V.7.

How do i trigger for the modem to update the firmware or do I have to call Telstra to update it for me.

Reason i want to update firmware i that ever since i got this modem (have an EVG2000 before) i can browse the net on my ios devices (its slow but works), but im not able to install or update the apps. On the Iphone 5 if i turn wifi off it will update with no issues. As soon as the phone connect to my WiFi it not able to update the apps. the circle just goes around and around but no download happens.

Like I said before with my old EVG2000 there was never an issue. ( only issue i had and reason for getting this modem is that i had to constanly reset the modem as wifi kept on dropping out and i was not able to update the firmware of that modem as the option was not enable in the browser).

Hope someone is able to help me out..

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: TG797n v3 firmware update

Hi carlosc,

In order to get the upgrade pushed through you may need to contact our Tech Team and get them to log a job with the back of house team to push it through.  They will need your Modem Serial number.

What you can do in the meantime is to try changing the Wi-Fi encryption mode on your TG797 to see if this resolves your issue of not being able to update apps on your iPhone 5.

Do do this:

Enter 10.0.0.138, into the address bar of your browser (or just click on this on the link if your device is connected via Wi-Fi to the modem in question)

1.Click on the Wi-Fi symbol at the top of the page, so that it is highlighted with a blue square.
2.This will show you to the Wi-Fi administration page
3. There will be a Wi-Fi Encryption field (see image below), change it to WPA/WPA2
4. Click on Apply.
5. Turn the modem off for about 30 seconds, then turn it back on.

Once the modem has reconnected to the internet check your iPhone 5 to see if this has fixed the issue. 

TG797 WiFi

- Ben D

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
43 REPLIES 43
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi carlosc, 

We'll get our Tech Team to take a look at your post tomorrow when they get in :-) 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

carlosc

Hi Steph.
Do you know if anyone has had a chance to have a look at this yet?
Il now experiencing slowness in the network via cable also.
Thanks.
Support Team
Support Team

Sorry not sure what happened here, I will pass it on again for you.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi carlosc, 

The latest firmware version for the TG797n V3 is 10.3.V.8.BL.  I would recommend that you register the modem against your account by visiting the following website register.bigpond.com/adsl.do.  Once this has been done the system should push through the new firmware in about 3-5 days.

Let us know how you get on.

Ben

carlosc

Hi Ben.
So i registerd my modem nearly 2 weeks ago and the firmware has not updated. Are u able to push it through if not can I download it and install it.
Thanks
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi carlosc,

In order to get the upgrade pushed through you may need to contact our Tech Team and get them to log a job with the back of house team to push it through.  They will need your Modem Serial number.

What you can do in the meantime is to try changing the Wi-Fi encryption mode on your TG797 to see if this resolves your issue of not being able to update apps on your iPhone 5.

Do do this:

Enter 10.0.0.138, into the address bar of your browser (or just click on this on the link if your device is connected via Wi-Fi to the modem in question)

1.Click on the Wi-Fi symbol at the top of the page, so that it is highlighted with a blue square.
2.This will show you to the Wi-Fi administration page
3. There will be a Wi-Fi Encryption field (see image below), change it to WPA/WPA2
4. Click on Apply.
5. Turn the modem off for about 30 seconds, then turn it back on.

Once the modem has reconnected to the internet check your iPhone 5 to see if this has fixed the issue. 

TG797 WiFi

- Ben D

View solution in original post

wildcode

I got my internet working today for the first time and I keep having issues with the modem restarting itself.

I have a new TG797n v3 from telstra with the 10.3.V.3 BI firmware.

How do I force a firmware upgrade?

I have registered the modem with Telstra using the link in this thread but the restarting keeps happening. This is very frustrating for the entire household.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi wildcode, 

If you have registered your modem using the link provided in this thread, then it will take about 3-5 days before the system pushes through the new firmware.  It could also be delayed because of the drop outs you have mentioned, as your modem hasn't been steadily connected for the right amount of time.

To troubleshoot these drops you can start by preforming an isolation test.  This is something the tech support team will ask you to preform anyway so will save time if you need to call them.  An isolation test eliminates the most common causes for drop outs on ADSL connections.  The instructions on how to preform one are here: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501....

If you still haven't pin-pointed the reason for the drops after that then give our tech support team a call on 133 933 or via Live Chat so they can further investigate.

- Ben

monazz
Level 2: Rookie

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I was supplied the TG797n V3 after recently signing up with Belong. I understand these modems are also used by BigPond. I would like to upgrade the firmware and understand this is done by BigPond pushing through the upgrade. I am just wondering if this may  still be possible , as Belong uses Telstra infrastructure, even though my ISP is Belong. Thankyou. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi monazz,

It would be best to contact Belong in regards to this as I am not familiar with how this would be rolled out to you.

With BigPond customers the firmware is pushed through automatically and there is no way to request it to be manually pushed through.

Typically we would advise our BigPond customers to make sure the modem is in default configuration (without  any personalised settings such as Time of Day rules etc) and make sure it stays connected without disconnection for at least 48 hours at which point the firmware should automatically be pushed through by the network.

- Shelly

monazz

Hi Shelly,
Thanks for the info. I am just wondering if you are able to tell me the current firmware version for this particular modem.
Thanks.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The current firmware for BigPond modems are 10.3.V.8, however I am not sure if it would be the same for the modems supplied by Belong.

- Shelly

MikeonDSL

Hi there

I have been following the thread and tried everything here. I have a terrible drop out rate and intermittent problems with the router not obtaining DNS via DHCP for the broadband connection ( this rendering the connection useless).

My current firmware is showing 10.3.U.8. and I have been unable to force the update in any of the ways this and other threads have stated. Can you please let me know what steps i can take to update the FW. 

Mike

... wish i was in a cable service area....

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MikeonDSL,

Over the next month or so, a firmware update will be rolled out to TG797nv3. This will exclude modems that have a DECT handset paired to it and parental controls set. I am unable to advise of a set time frame as we are still in the final stages of testing and the date is not yet set in stone.

- Shelly

Miggs

I have just recieved Firmware 10.3.v.9. I am curious to see what has changed. Is there anywhere that lists a change log for the various firmware versions?

Thanks

Michael

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Miggs,

We don't have a listing of the changes that have been made with this firmware upgrade available as yet, sorry Smiley Sad 

kien

Hi there,

Where can I get this firmware, please? I need a copy of this firmware for my TG797n v3. Thank you.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi kien,

The modem firmware should update automatically unless you have a DECT handset paired directly to the modem or URL controls configured.

- Shelly

kien

Hi Shelly,

I still see my firmware version listed as 10.3.v.3.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi kien, 

Try registering the modem to your account via register.bigpond.com/adsl.do .  

When you are at home using your TG797n v3 to access the interent, go the above mentioned webpage and add your username/primary email address and password.  The firmware should be pushed through within 3-5 days.

- Ben 

Chook13
Level 5: Eagle Eye

My firmware says. Firmware Version
15.32.6209-440-RC Is this correct?

it has been very flakey

cheers

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Chook13,

That is the latest firmware version. 

- Shelly

Chook13

Thanks Shelly

BundyBob1

Hey Guys and Gals.

I have waited for over a month now for my firmware to be updated from 10.x to 15.x

Many conversations with hell desk all giving the same answer, cant force a firmware update but will not escalate.

I have followed all of the requested steps, reset the modem every few days, each hell desk person tells me that the firmware will update within 24 hrs.

Well here we are one month later and still waiting.

The modem is supposed to check in to the acs server against the mac and update.

This happened 24 hrs after signing up to telstra air, but since the replacement modem, I seem to be stuck in 10.x firmware.

The only change is the telstra advanced setup to get off 10.0.0.X as I use this subnet for client development. No phones paired, no time of day or website filtering applied.

the register.bigpond.com/adsl.do has been done from this modem 30 or more times. I note that from reset, this process does not a) update the username / password within the modem and b) restart the modem requiring the username and password to be set in the modem.

Surely there is someone within the hardware section that can force/reset/match the firmware settings for this modem to allow the firmware to be updated, or they can get onto the modem and do the firmware manually.

The performance I received from 15.1 is far better than 10.3.V.C thus wanting it back.

Do you stuff guys and stop relying on script monkies.

Rob

----------------------------------------------------------

NOT a Telstra Employee

--------------------------------------------------------------
Suntory

I'm having the exact same issue with a TG797 v3, have performed factory resets, left modem running default settings, visited register.bigpond.com/adsl.do several times registering the modem and told that it would reset the modem but nothing ever happens, every morning I check it's still stuck at 10.3.0.B.

Agree with you BundyBob1, there must be someway support can escalate this issue to someone who can look into exactly why these units aren't updating. Any Telstra reps here able to comment on this issue ?

Is there a command line option we can run from telnet directly into the modem to force it to request the upgrade ? 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rob,

Firstly, stop performing a factory default of the modem. Once is enough. The firmware updates should push through, but will only do so when your modem has a stable connection. 

Tech Support should be able to raise a ticket to our engineers to request this be manually pushed through if it hasn't done it automatically. The time that this would be completed is dependant on the workload for the team that would be actioning this request. 

- Shelly

Suntory

Finally making progress today, modem just restarted and booted back up as release 10.3.U.9 and when I login I can see there's a firmware also waiting in the passive software area, just don't know if that's the previous one or the next step up, I take it maybe the modem was too far behind and needs to step up incrementally to get to the latest release.

{admin}=>software version

Flash image: 10.3.0.11.0

Active   SW: dant-o_BD.rbi   (10.3.U.9)

Passive  SW: dant-o_AO_Up... (A.3.T.Q)

behemoth

Hi,

I do IT support for a Telstra business customer. We are having the same issue with our modem firmware. Our TG797n v3 is currently on version 10.3.0.B and it is not updating automatically.

We need the firmware updated in order to resolve dns issues associated with windows 8 + clients and the technicolor modems.

I have called the business tech support line 7 times in the last couple of months but there is still no resolution unfortunately, hence my post here.

I have tried factory resetting the modem in order to trigger an update and that hasn't worked.

When I ring Telstra they say that I need to contact technicolor and they will provide the firmware update and when I contact technicolour they say that Telstra needs to provide the firmware. From other posts in this forum it seems that Telstra provides it.

One support rep said I could take it instore and have it replaced, however when I tried that they wouldn't replace it.

I have tried the register.bigpond.com/adsl.do link but as a business customer we do not have a bigpond account only a direct.telstra.net account. There doesn't seem to be the option to enter it on this site.

Support have been very earnest to help but seem unable to.

Can you please provide some suggestions on how to get this firmware updated as I'm out of options.

Thanks!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi behemoth,

Have you used the modem's GUI to set up any restrictions within the modem?  Do you have any DECT handsets connected to the modem.  Both of these will exclude the modem from getting an update pushed through.

- Ben

behemoth

Hi Ben, thanks for the quick reply. We don't have any DECT handsets connected to the modem currently. I haven't set up any restrictions or changed the admin password yet, just left them as defaults after the reset. I have changed the internal ip address range that the modem uses for dhcp. Could this interfere with an update?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi behemoth

It's possible.  If possible can you try restoring the modem to its factory default and leave it connected for a few days to see if updates.

Ben

lucisac

Wondering when is the next version coming, not too happy I can't switch to pppoa as it gives better ping for gaming.  Love to see an official response to this??

behemoth

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I've factory reset the modem again and left it connected for three days without making any changes. Unfortunately, after the three days it's still on 10.3.0.B

Any other ideas?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Behemoth,

If that's the case, give our Tech support team a call on 133933 or speak to LiveChat: http://tel.st/gq6m. We can escalate this further to see if it can be manually pushed through.

Brodie

lucisac

and pppoa? why is it removed? It sheds some ping off gaming..

behemoth

Hi Brodie, thanks for the reply. I have contacted business tech support again, for the 8th time. They are now insisting that the modem is not able to be updated because firmware updates finished in August last year apparently. Is this correct? I tried to get the case escalated to level 2 multiple times but they refused. Can you please advise if this information is correct? If so, I will go and buy a new modem so we can get our Win 10 clients working.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi behemoth,

There is a new round of firmware updates being rolled out soon for the TG797 & TG799. Once updated, your modem should show the firmware version of 15.53.6469-510-RA. I do not have an estimated time frame for when these updates are expected to be completed.

- Shelly

bster

Has there been any advance on this?  How will I be able to obtain the firmware update when it comes out?  This is ridiculous and seems a complicated procedure not within the means of most users.  Pathetic customer service and an absolute shambles from what I read.  I want this fixed by Telstra without having to plug, unplug, reset or ping any damn thing!

TheProuses

Ummmm.I have the same modem but mine says the firmware version is 15.53.6469-510-RA? Am I missing something here?

ChrisBriarwood
Level 4: Private Eye

Do I have the latest firmware?

Product Name:TG797n v3
Serial Number:CP1424SAQ1W
Software Release:10.3.V.C
Software Variant:BT
Boot Loader Version:1.1.4
Product Code:3692888A
Board Name:DANT-O
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Chris, 

I've responded to your post over on the following thread https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Technicolor-TG797n-v3-Firmware/m-p/563500#M19...

Ben

JDMils
Level 6: Bloodhound

What do we have to do to register for the firmware update?

My router details are:

Product Name:TG797n v3

Serial Number:CP01234567890

Software Release:10.3.V.C

Software Variant:BT

Boot Loader Version:1.1.4

Product Code:3692888A

Board Name:DANT-O

I read somewhere that if you have DECT phones connected the firmware would not be rolled out? I do have my home  phone connected.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi JDMils. I have replied to your other post https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Latest-firmware-for-Telstra-TG797n-V3-router/...

- Tim 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now