CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Thumpy
Level 2: Rookie

Technicolor TG799vac - Change DNS - Using OpenDNS

Answered

How can I change DNS on my Technicolor TG799vac? It's getting DNS from Telstra using PPP.

With my previous Technicolor TG587n modem I could telnet to the modem and change it but with this new modem that doesn't seem to work as it won't let me telnet to it.

I need to change DNS to OpenDNS servers so I can secure my kids Internet access.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Technicolor TG799vac - Change DNS - Using OpenDNS

Hi Thumpy, 

You should be able to set this up via the modem interface.

When you access the interface using 10.0.0.138, click on the large 'Services' icon 

Make your selection for OpenDNS under the Dynamic DNS tab.

Hope this helps

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Thumpy, 

You should be able to set this up via the modem interface.

When you access the interface using 10.0.0.138, click on the large 'Services' icon 

Make your selection for OpenDNS under the Dynamic DNS tab.

Hope this helps

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Parko1
Level 1: Cadet

Hi how do you specify the DNS address with a Technicolor TG799vac modem?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Parko1, 

Can you be more specific as to what you want to do?  

- Ben

Thumpy

can't see OpenDNS in that list, can it be manually fixed?

Thumpy

seems to work for me now. I just picked anyone in the list then edit the values with opendns.com and my user id, password and all good. Not to forget to go to opendns and make sure my new ip is the assigned managed site Smiley Happy

ozyscott11

Does anyone know how to change the DNS Settings? I want to use DNS Server Unotelly?

Thumpy

This stopped working for me. I've checked that my IP is correct with OpenDNS but still doesn't seem to send requests to OpenDNS hence my browsing don't get filtered. How can I get DNS kind of "hard coded" in the modem?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Thumpy, 

Does it resolve itself if you re-boot the modem?

- Ben

Thumpy

no change after restart Smiley Sad

I've verified the Dynamic DNS is active. Also made sure OpenDNS.com is synced with my IP.

Just need help to get my modem to use OpenDNS DNS servers now.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hrmm ... can you try a factory default and then reconfigure the DDNS again? 

- Shelly

Dash4520

@Thumpy wrote:

How can I change DNS on my Technicolor TG799vac? It's getting DNS from Telstra using PPP.

With my previous Technicolor TG587n modem I could telnet to the modem and change it but with this new modem that doesn't seem to work as it won't let me telnet to it.

I need to change DNS to OpenDNS servers so I can secure my kids Internet access.

Please help.

Hi Thumpy,

Login to the modem and go to Advanced > Local Network and change the DNS Server in the DHCP settings.

I think you can only enter one value.  Works with InternetGuide from dyn.com so should be OK for all similar services.

dSmiley Wink

joedm

OpenDNS is no longer listed in the dropdown under DynDNS.

How can I add it back or telnet into the device to change it?

joedm

Also doing a search of this forum, I have found examples of the firmware where OpenDNS was supported  in the firmware.

Why have BigPond removed it from the current firmware?

Is this to force customers to pay the extra $10 per month for Bigpond Protect??

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi joedm, 

Telnet has been disabled in the current firmware version. I've checked the Dynamic DNS section in the new firmware and can't see OpenDNS listed, so I have passed on your feedback to the product device team.

Ben

joedm

Hi Ben,

So as an alternative, am I able to install the manufacturer firmware instead of the Telstra firmware?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi joedm,

This would not be recommended or supported by Telstra, and therefore, I am unable to comment of if it is possible or not.

Ben

joedm

hmmm...

ok what about installing an older Telstra firmware that supported OpenDNS?

pjcinoznow

Actually, not solved...

OpenDNS is not in the Dynamic DNS drop-down menu listing under "Service Name."

I just purchased the modem a month or so ago. I was able to use OpenDNS with the Thomsen Telecom modem and my Netgear router. As the Technicolor does both duties, it is my only device.

I also tried to enter the DNS server IP address under Advanced -- Local Network -- DHCP Settings-- DNS Server as the field could be changed. After saving, closing, and rebooting the router, I logged back into the admin pages and checked Basic View -- Broadband -- Connection Information and it still shows:

Primary DNS: 61.9.195.193
Secondary DNS: 61.9.194.49

I am guessing I can't use that service across my home LAN but only through changing settings on individual computers?
joedm

Yes looks like Telstra removed the functionality so they can force people to pay for their protect package.

"Thanks Telstra"
jokoko

i found that this worked for using Opendns:

Services -> Dynamic DNS tab

* Enabled

* pick any service name (as opendns isn't listed)

* domain = 208.67.222.222

* account user id

* password

jokoko

if you find that opendns is not working on wireless tablets then you need to switch off IPv6 functionality.

Advanced -> Local Network

uncheck 'Local Network IPv6 state'

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now