Highlighted
69ben
Level 1: Cadet

Technicolour TG799 Modem Drop out

Answered

Hi

I have a new Technicolour TG799vac about 1 month

The modem keeps dropping out internet and wifi frequently

I contacted Telstra after completing the process of checking everything, turning off/on, resetting etc

What is confusing that when I actually spoke to someone they had no idea of the modem at all.  It appears that this is so new that Telstra help people didn't even know about it.

I must confess though the support staff member was very helpful and we tried a number of things including changing the channel etc.

I am still having problems and it is becoming very frustrating to have to turn the modem off/on at least once a day.

The modem lights are supposed to be flashing ie Internet & wifi that is how you know it is working.  Sometimes the wifi light is solid green and sometime the internet is solid green and sometimes the both of them are solid green.

Can someone please help me.

Also when I search for wifi a connection called ****5hz is also showing - what is this ?

I would appreciate any advice I am not looking forward to phoning support anymore.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Technicolour TG799 Modem Drop out

Hi 69ben, 

The Technicolor TG799vac (or sometimes known as the Telstra Gateway Max TG799) is a very new modem,  We have an overview of it on Crowdsupport here.  

Below, I have listed what the lights mean when they are flashing or solid:

Green Wireless LED/Light 
   Solid on: Wireless clients connected, no wireless activity
  Blinking: Wireless clients connected, wireless activity

Green Internet LED/Light
  Solid on: Connected to the Internet, no activity
  Blinking: Connected to the Internet, sending/receiving data  

The Telstra Max transmits two Wi-Fi signal at the same time: 
  1. The Regular Wi-Fi, 802.11 n transmitting in the 2.4GHz:
  2. The New 'beamforming', 802.11 ac transmitting in the 5GHz..

The 5GHz Wi-Fi transmission uses 'beamforming' technology in order to boost signal, there is an informative video about on the Telstra Gateway Max TG799 Overview page.

In regards to your drops, do you notice the Internet light going Red, when you lose the internet? if so it may be a line issue. You can report this our technical support  team just here

If it is just your Wi-Fi enabled devices losing internet while connected to the regular 802.11n Wi-Fi transmission, try connecting them to the 5GHz Wi-Fi connection and see how it goes.  Do you notice it happening on just your Apple devices or on all devices?

There is also the regular troubleshooting you can try, like connecting one device to the modem via an Ethernet cable and seeing if it looses connection when the Wi-Fi devices do, Change the Wi-Fi channel etc... you can find a walk through here,  We also have a Wi-Fi maximiser app you can download and preform a 'Heat map' of Wi-Fi reception within you home.

Let us know how you go.

- Ben D

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Raytek
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

This guy deserves a big pat on the back modem still woking fine over ethernet no drop outs

Hi guys;

I have found the fix for the ethernet dropout proplem between TG799 vac and windows 8.1 .

Do the following;

* Enter  ' view network connections ' in the search tab

* Right click the ethernet logo 

* Left click ' properties '

* Left click ' configure '

* Left click ' advanced ''

* Choose and disable ' energy efficient ethernet ''

* Click ' ok '

* Shut down the computer and switch back on to make sure changes take place - after that , it is a permanent fix.

I hope this will save you a lot of headache and frustration , and I have passed the fix onto Telstra as well.

Chris

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
84 REPLIES 84
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi 69ben, 

The Technicolor TG799vac (or sometimes known as the Telstra Gateway Max TG799) is a very new modem,  We have an overview of it on Crowdsupport here.  

Below, I have listed what the lights mean when they are flashing or solid:

Green Wireless LED/Light 
   Solid on: Wireless clients connected, no wireless activity
  Blinking: Wireless clients connected, wireless activity

Green Internet LED/Light
  Solid on: Connected to the Internet, no activity
  Blinking: Connected to the Internet, sending/receiving data  

The Telstra Max transmits two Wi-Fi signal at the same time: 
  1. The Regular Wi-Fi, 802.11 n transmitting in the 2.4GHz:
  2. The New 'beamforming', 802.11 ac transmitting in the 5GHz..

The 5GHz Wi-Fi transmission uses 'beamforming' technology in order to boost signal, there is an informative video about on the Telstra Gateway Max TG799 Overview page.

In regards to your drops, do you notice the Internet light going Red, when you lose the internet? if so it may be a line issue. You can report this our technical support  team just here

If it is just your Wi-Fi enabled devices losing internet while connected to the regular 802.11n Wi-Fi transmission, try connecting them to the 5GHz Wi-Fi connection and see how it goes.  Do you notice it happening on just your Apple devices or on all devices?

There is also the regular troubleshooting you can try, like connecting one device to the modem via an Ethernet cable and seeing if it looses connection when the Wi-Fi devices do, Change the Wi-Fi channel etc... you can find a walk through here,  We also have a Wi-Fi maximiser app you can download and preform a 'Heat map' of Wi-Fi reception within you home.

Let us know how you go.

- Ben D

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

69ben

I don't have an issue with my PC which is connected via ethernet.

My laptop is effected by the wifi dropping out and apple devices.

Thanks for the heads up re the lights blinking and what not - i knew that already

I will try the walk through you provided.

This is really starting to peeve me.  A new modem that is crap.  My old Thomson was the best until it died.

Thanks

Spinchick123

I'm having exactly the same problem, wifi dropping out all the time, I have had technician out and he fixed the cable lines which were worn out, but the wifi keeps dropping out, it's pretty crappy really, what are we supposed to do with a **bleep**ty modem that costs $216 dollars. Should have kept my old one.
STA777

I've got a TG799vac, it's been working well since new, about 4 months ago. symptom: no devices have been able to connect to Internet for 2-3 days. Status: solid green, WAN: solid green, Internet: flashing green.
All other lights are off including the 2 Wi-Fi options.

Could you please diagnose problem. It looks like modem has Internet, however wireless not working. Pushing the WPS button or wireless button on top of the unit does nothing.

Found the solution: performed hard reset by using a pin and pressing the small reset button at back of unit. Then connected Ethernet cable. Connect a computer to modem via your yellow Ethernet cable. Open up Internet explorer and enter 10.0.0.138 in the address area. Put in your Telstra BigPond username & password.
During this process all wi-fi lights came back on & all devices were back on Internet.
While you're in there click on wi fi, find an option for channels. It will be set to "auto". Switch it to "11", then save changes. This setting can be the reason for your wireless instability & possibly slow internet. If "11" doesn't work then try the other numbers until Internet is faster.
All the best!
W.
McGeoff

Yeah I had the same probem when I first got the modem but luckily we got it as a free upgrade, took about six calls in 3 months to know something was wrong so I took the cable that connected my old modem to the wall and used it as it was a higher quality. The modem itself is fine try changing some cables around ben.

scribbler2300

Hi all

I was just about to purchase a Technicolor TG 799 vac when I started reading these posts and am not sure now what to do given the modem sounds like problems.  I have a 4 year old Thomson TG282T that has been running ADSL1 until last Friday (I now have ADSL2+) so is there a modem out there that will give me the fastest download available for my distance from the exchange (I am about 8ks away from the nearest exchange) as well as have excellent wifi capabilities that will travel 15 metres or so through 3 or 4 standard plasterboard walls? or do I keep the Thomson modem until it fails (I haven't noticed much of a difference in speeds (if any) between ADSL1 & ADSL2+ with the Thomson modem

Thanks

DaveH
Level 3: Gumshoe

My TG799 keeps resetting itself so I lose all connectivity while it restarts. I put it away & went back to my old TP-LINK modem which is rock solid with an identiocal setup. After a few weeks I tried the TG799 again & tried swapping cables, filters & then removing anything else on the phone line one by one for a full isolation test. It still resets itself at random intervals so it's back in the box & will stay there. 

northernangler

Re the new tg799 or thompson modem.

Not having much success with mine either. Brand new out the box and several trys to get it up and running and after several switch on and off etc tried another password and it worked. I cannot get the portforwarding to work so back in the box and I will continue to use my Netgear DG834.

The new TG799vac seems to be a failure to me. I never did like Thompson much anyway. TP link or netgear for me every time.

No manuals available anywhere, no one know about it on helpline. Shoulda sent to twowire!!

JazzyJ

Hi Ben,

I have recently recieved the Technicolor TG799 vac, the first one out the box on start up i had no problems, it started up fine, used my mobile to connect to  the router 10.0.0.1388 and added my telstra user and pass. An hour passed and i noticed there was no wifi connection on my devices. I looked at the modem router and it had somewhat disconnected everything and hada single red light on status. I switched off the modem and turned back on and it started up fine, 2 x wifi channels 2.4 and 5g and within 2 minutes it dropped back to single red light on status. I turned off and back on and it seemed to hold red/amber lights on all lights on the panel and did not start any wifi channels at all, reset button on the device also did nothing to restart it, I pulled out the ethernet cable and plugged directly in using my laptop to see if i could log into the router, but alas it seemed dead.

I rang helpdesk regarding this the next day, as i was waiting whilst helpdesk was 'helping' although i had explained out the above, i grabbed an old Netgear device i have and connected to the internet with no issue. After 1h i was told there was an issu with my connection, to which i replied there isnt an issue with my connection as i have just connected on another device. After 1h20 minutes it was decided that another Technicolor TG799 vac was to be sent out.

I connected this device up today, no issue for 5 hours, then i noticed the 2 wifis had gone, and the router/modem had switched back to the single red light on status. I was still able to connect to the router via Ethernet after it restarted ( 2x WiFi channels running also) but it never regained an internet connection. I re entered the password and usename twice to make sure and restarted it butit still held a red light on the internet indicator. I thought ill pull out he ADSL line and put it back into my netgear device and it connected immediately.. With the trusty Netgear i am writing this now..

Im afraid that this modem/router has an issue or atleast an underlying issue on your ADSL network from all the various posts i have found since searching it, im not looking forward to wasting such long wait times on the phone line to a person who ultimately is trying to get you back online but perhaps doesnt have those tools or knowledge available to them.

I have taken the tiem out to write, i would hope that you can see that many people may get the same issues and as a new customer i am not having a good time of it so far.

Kind Regards,

Jaz

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi JazzyK

I can appreciate how frustrating this is for you. As I mentioned on your other post,  I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech Team so that they can make contact with you, to investigate your speeds further. You will hear from them once they return to work on Monday. 

Regards 

northernangler1
Level 8: Inspector

I must agree with all the complaints. It seems to be pretty crook modem compared to almost all others. I have installed plenty of different modems and rarely have any porblems. This one is the first I have come across that has problems.

I have tried changing the IP address as the 10.0.0.138 sometimes causes problems with some gear however this didn't cure the problems. The modem seems to hook up to the net fairly easy however the other facilities are causing me grief.

Port forwarding works for a couple of days then quits for no aparent reason. Turning off and on fixes it but only for another few days. I cannot at any time hook up wi-fi to my Solar inverter server. I have tried different security settings from full WPAPSK to no security at all and still it will not hook up. I have a couple of other modems here and they all hook up with no problems using the same settings. None exhibit any port forwarding problems,

The 799 does have one good attribute, great wifi signal strength, I get excellent signal everywhere round the home, up to twice as good as my old reliable netgear 834. Problem is some gear doesn't like the 799 wi-fi signal.

I you want a modem that just gets you on line to the net without any extra serveices then the 799 modem is quite OK.

Telstra transmission manager, redundant in 1997 after 40 years.
Sumner_MJ

Hi,

I recieved this modem, the TG799 free when I registered for the Telstra Air product roll out a couple of months ago.

Initially it worked fine (at least I think so) but after a couple of weeks I kept getting intermittent Wi-Fi drop outs.

Initially I thought it was my laptop and ended up doing uninstalls and installs of wi-fi modem adapters etc etc. And then it started happening on other laptops in the house.  I was getting sudden internet drop outs and also not being able to connect to Wi-Fi.  What is soooooooo frustrating is the irregularity of it all.  You can be working away and then it just drops off for a few minutes, as if it's gone to sleep or something; when the laptop goes into sleep mode it cannot connect to the TG799 modem.  It will quickly and easily connect to my phone as a mobile hot spot, but try and connect to the TG799 modema and it NO-GO! 

Most frustrating of all is it's a complete hit-and-miss affair.

I've read all of the posts here and there doesn't appear (from my interpretation) to be a way to fix this.

Should I just throw this in the bin and buy another modem from JB Hi-Fi that actually works?

Any recommendations for a good quality modem?

Any further ideas on what is causing this?

northernangler1

I have not put my 799 back in service. I will stick with my netgear. Incidently a new modem will probably not change download speed. A new contract with telstra will certainly increase your download usage. I have proof of that.

Btrt4

I have had the same problem with the 799 - every few days the Internet speed goes and I have tried changing channels but end up having to reset the modem - as soon as it is reset it goes back to normal speed - I brought this modem because it was supposed to be better but the old one was much more reliable and stable - is it the dual band causing the problem?
Bob10

Had a new TG799 for four weeks and could not resolve the frequent internet dropouts. Telstra provided a free TG797 but the dropouts were probaly more frequent. Have had multiple tech visits and line checks to no avail. Discarded my old cordless phone but now with nothing at all plugged in exept the router I stll get frequent internet dropouts. Three days ago I installed a cheap [$36] TPLink W8950N router and to my knowledge I have gone three days with not one dropout. I'm staying with the TPLInk and ignoring Telstras calls.

DaveH1

I had exactly the same experience with 2 different TG799 modems. My first contact to customer support after my initial issues above received the usual "try this, do that" responses (that of course I'd already tried) without any resolution. A follow-up call several weeks later got a totally different response acknowledging that there was  an issue with the firmware on some TG799 units & offering me a free replacement.

The replacement arrived quickly so I again mothballed my trusty TPLink modem & tried the new TG799... it had exactly the same issue. I called support again offering to return both units (advising that the return instructions for the first unit were never received) but they seemed content to let me hang on to both although they are useless to me.

It has to be an issue with specific lines since I know several people using these without problems but my own experience (& that of quite a few others reported on this forum) is that they are all but useless on my connection.

vanessapp

UGH.

Have all the issues described above.  Am resetting this modem every other day.  Have moved it, sat next to it and still drops out constantly.  

Telstra "assistance" pointless.

Worse is when I signed up to a new Telstra contract the modem was promised to me as free but I've been charged $213.

UGH.

Does anyone have a resolution for this modem that doesn't include me binning it and buying something reliable?

northernangler1

There is a solution to the 799 modem problem that is quite simple. Go out and buy another modem, almost any modem will do the job.

I suggest a netgear or a TP-Link.

I have never been able to get my 799 going with any real satidfaction. WiFi is hopeless as is drop out problem.

Complaining does not help with sanity, easier to get a new one that works.

olly05

Hi

I have this modem aswell. I have had it for about 4 weeks.

I have to reset modem about every second day as I dont lose internet but the spped drops to dial up speeds. I have not gone anywhere near my monthly usage so this is not the issue.

Once modem has been reset I have really fast speeds and Wi-Fi signalis very strong through out the house for a day or two before it needs to be reset again. I was with IINET for 3 years in my current address and never once did i have to reset my Netgear modem.When tech came to install I asked him would I be better off with the NETGEAR modem but he said no this telstra modem is much better.

Now with telstra for 4 weeks I have reset the modem more times in 4 weeks then in my entire life.

I have changed cables , filters Plugged modem direct into socket without phone and still have the same problem.

Telstra support have been no help as they have just mentioned to do everything I had already done and when that didnt work they just said ring back in a few days if you still have a problem.

Of course I am still going to have the problem you never fixed it in the first place.

I am thinking after reading this forum that I will just go back to my netgear modem.

So far very disappointed.

MissLadyPug

Just purchased this new gateway 799 and noticed that it drops out everynight at the same time.

I tend to put a playlist on through apple TV at night and since installing the new modem, the signal has been lost to appletv at roughly the same time every night.

AT first I thought it was an automatic restart by default but can't find any settings in the gateway to turn it off.

Now after reading all the problems everyone seems to have.... wondering now if I've made a mistake getting it.

The old modem I had went on the blink and had tech support out here when the new one arrived.

My line is isolated (no phone attached) new wires and whatever's replace in the wall. I shouldn't have any problems right? Wrong....

Might just wait till after the holidays and go buy a NON-telstra modem.

northernangler1

Another vote for netgear, "simply the best"

Ericomalley
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Problem is not the modems technicolour TG799 it the maintence being carried out on the lines by the NBN team and the dam telstra technicians at the the main servers.

I have replace my modem and still getting the same issues been on going now for 7 months recently had a conversation with a telstra women who admitted it is Maintence that has been carried out nation wide with NBN team since 2012 as you get closer to the nbn being available the problem gets worst.

Just 2 days ago i had a technician come to my house and he tried to tell me the telstra techicians do not work out night but when i said yes they do i have seen them when i was working as a taxi driver he changed his story and said he him self does not work after 7pm.

Again tonight 11 times had my modem internet service drop out when in and check the modem and it show connection to the DHCP  server was the issue that is telstra end i then check the server line and my phone line was down meaning maintenace was under way once more near us.

I am due to be hooked up tot eh NBN on 28th December 2015 was told last months to expect lots of disruptions as the telstra and other phone companies hook people up tot he new service.

Ericomalley

To Add further most of the telphonist we talk to are not even in Australia and would not know what they are on about i was left dismayed by the last support person i spoke to,

Straight away he wanted to replace my modem and that it was going to cost me $216 dollars but when i said it only just been replaced he then said you can pay for support team to get you hooked up properly, 

i just thought this guy was a idiot and he was talking to  person who has cert 4 information technogoly in network engineer and succesfully knows how to connect to the modem both wirelessly and by cable using ethernet cat 6e as well as via a usb cable,

Can network through another person computer or phone why would i need support person to tell me this.

What i wanted was to know is the DHCP server was disconnecting from my service line and get feed this rubbish.

I think telstra should just come clean and admit their is high volume of maintence going on and stop cashing on internet drop outs due to the maintence.

Wonder what media and radio disc jockey's would make of this if we all started to ring them.

Time NBN rollout Co. too told people in letter drops how long the disruptions are likely to last and telstra inform users via a pop saying were going to carry out maintenance in your area and their will be drop outs and constant restarts of the modems DHCP Server connection.

then we would understand.

Stop cashing in on a NBN roll out Telstra support cause the modems are not the issue.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi EricOmalley, 

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you when they are next in the office.

Please be aware, this team only work Monday to Friday's and as this weekend is a long weekend, the earliest you can expect to hear from them is Tuesday. 

-    Kind Regards 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Ericomalley,

While the NBN rollout can cause a few disruptions, it's not standard across the board. Was your service successfully changed across the NBN? Hopefully you're connected and the service is working Smiley Happy

Brodie

northernangler1

I had the same problem and went back to my Netgear. If you know anyone who fishes, give them the telstra modem as a sinker.
Flynny15

I have the technicolour TG799vac that came with my Telstra bundle. Try playing XBOX live and it continually drops out. Contacted Telstra and they agreed there was a problem with the line and/or modem. Put me through to Platinum service who wanted to charge me $120 for their assistance. When I suggested that this type of help should come with the $300 bill i pay each month the bloke on the other end said I should get a local tech in and sort it out myself.

Reffraff

I'm on to my second TG799 after receiving one free when I changed bundles.  The original unit worked well for a couple of weeks and then one day out of the blue the wi-fi connection to my PC started dropping out and on the rare occasions it would connect, had no internet.  Other devices (iPads, Apple TV, etc) were less affected but still dropped out regularly.  After the best part of a whole Saturday spent troubleshooting via chat with a Telstra tech we got absolutely nowhere and I was sent a new modem.  Which worked for about a day and then started having the same problems as the original unit, but worse.  With the new unit even the Telstra TV that came with my bundle won't reliably connect.

The TG799 would appear to be a dog.  I've gone back to my old modem but as it's a bit slow I'll probably fork out the cash and buy a new modem independently.

northernangler1

I heard telstra sometimes send a Net Gear C6300 instead of the 799 garbage. Check with them to see if this a a possible fix for the problems and demand anothet new one.

Dazzle1

I'm having the same drop out issues, both with Ethernet and wifi devices. When I call Telstra I get the same run around and no solutions. Should I demand a replacement on warranty? I have found that Telstra won't admit that there may be a problem with the modem, they insist that the connection is fine and that my devices are the problem, all 6 of them? Frustrated.

northernangler1

My son had similar problems like I did. I still use my netgear, the 799 is in a box doing nothing. Anyway my son managed to get a different modem from telstra. A new 779, same manufacturer but it seems to work OK.

When you ask for another modem ask for this one on lieu of the faulty 799's

MapleDropbear

I am having this same intermittant drop out on my apple devices with this modem

it is extremely frustraiting. I am looking forward to this being fixed some time really soon :/

crazyed66

OK Guys, I have suffered dropouts constantly while online where online games will crash with the "unable to reach server check your internet" hooha and recently even with general Internet uses, browser saying no connection. All the connected devices also suffered the drops. it could happen once an hour or once every few minutes and everything in between. The baffling thing was that the lights would all stay green and in nearly all cases access to the web would reoccur within 15 to 30 seconds. Well I have a reason, an answer of sorts.

This will help some but not all, this will highlight a limitation with the TG799vac that considering it is promoted as the "go to media hub" for the "connected home" is very surprising.

After many many months of researching and interacting with mmo developers and Telstra help staff I have discovered that the Tg 799vac has a low threshold when it comes to its firewall DoS protection. Putting it simply if a hacker tries to flood your network with connection attempts in order to cripple your system the DoS part of the firewall protects you. It is this part of the device that is causing problems. If you check the modems log straight after suffering one of these micro dropouts (you may need to scroll down) you will notice multiple lines like this 'nf_conntrack: table full, dropping packet'

Since my 4 teenage kids started to stream more (damn youtube Smiley Happy ) and all our devices and Telstra TV and Foxtel all being connected many at the same time and with online games running I have suffered the 'nf_conntrack: table full, dropping packet' in greater number.

The fix requires that the limits are raised significantly in the modem's OS (with the ability to turn the modem firewall OFF would be good to). This fix IS EASY for a dev to do. NOTE: The Tg799vn which is the Technicolor branded version of this exact modem has the firewall off option already and appears to be more configurable.

The other option is to buy a third party modem. If you have a highly connected home like mine or heavy streaming or torrent client (the latter is notorious as it causes so many simultaneous connection requests) I recommend the Tp-link AC1900 Archer D9 or similar until Telstra fix this problem.

crazyed66

I went and bought a TP link Archer D9 and not surprisingly ALL the drop outs stopped. Telstra you need to fix the Gateway max because as the NBN kicks in more and more families will utilise the faster net and more will suffer these drop outs.

vkbear68

Have to fully agree, the 799 seems to be a dud!

I was sent a TG799 due to ADSL2+ speed issues (they believed my TP-Link brand new modem was an issue so sent this paper-weight.. err, TG799 "modem").

After the setup, reset, re-setup process I noticed that the 2.4GHz WiFi didn't like running faster than 65Mbps when you connected to it (sits at 130Mbps with no connections!). Even with one device connected it drops down to 65Mbps.. Setting it to "Auto 20/40MHz" bandwidth doesn't help as the signal never extends to 40MHz, so it is limited in its rate.

When "Technical Support" rang I tried to explain that it wasn't connected because I really wanted to run my laptop WiFi faster than a snail (runs happily at 150Mbps on the TP-Link), but I found myself having to explain to tech support the difference between ADSL speeds, Wireless internet speeds, and WiFi network speeds (alas she still couldn't understand...) I was eventually told I should connect all my wireless devices to the 2.4GHz WiFi and not the 5GHz as using the 5 could slow down my connection... Smiley Surprised

So far tonight it has reset itself around 5 times in the space of an hour (I gave up counting), and yes both WiFi and LAN computers lose connection and the status light turns red (all other lights go out). Eventually if I wait long enough it will reboot.

At present I am less than 2 metres from the TG799 and the laptop has a 4/5 signal quality at 65Mbps, and it is the only wireless device connected.It is giving me a -23/26dBm signal (closest nearby signal is -80dBm) and yes, I changed the WiFi channel so many times the laptop thinks it's a yo-yo... I have also disabled the 5GHz channel, so I assume it is currently only trying to transmit/receive a single 2.4GHz signal, but it still refuses to switch to a 40MHz bandwidth and therefore higher data rate.

If it reboots once more, it is back in the box and bound for Telstra!!! Please Tel$tra, get your act together!!

bunyanut1

New TG799vac modem, installed by telstra tech. Worked ok for a few hrs then unable to connect to it by 10.0.0.138 from my desktop by ethernet or wifi. It connects with our laptops by wifi but not the key desktop machine. Tech has been back and got it going via wifi only but it only lasted a few hrs, now nothing!

I am posied to cancel my expensive telstra bundle (ADSL 1 plus home phone) as it just doesn't deliver on the adsl side.

Going....

Going....

bunyanut1

Brand new TG799vac modem, installed by telstra tech. Worked ok for a few hrs then unable to connect to it by 10.0.0.138 from my desktop by ethernet or wifi. It connects with our laptops by wifi but not the key desktop machine. Tried all resets imaginable.  Tech has been back and got it going via wifi only but it only lasted a few hrs, now nothing!

I am posied to cancel my expensive telstra bundle (ADSL 1 plus home phone) as it just doesn't deliver on the adsl side.

Going....

Going....

jbns

I'm seeing an extraordinary number of people impacted by this clearly defective product.  We received and installed ours yesterday, it produced slower speeds than our 6 year old Thompson Gateway (both on 2.4 and 5Ghz).  As soon as the fourth device was connected it failed and could not be restarted.  We received it 'free' as part of a 2 year contract extension.  Lucky we kept old faithful.  Now for the unfulfilled, void contract........Anyone have CAV or VCATs number by chance?

northernangler1

Welcome to the club, The 799 is a flop and the problem is telstra purchased too many to just dump the lot and start again.

Unfortunately they don't want it back and you can't get a refund.

Go and get yourself another modem, any brand will porobably do. I use a netgear and it works fine. 

I managed to get a bundle plan that is only marginally more than TPG so I am fairy happy with the bundle. Speeed has not changed from my previous SIP thankfully. Would have loved to get ADSL2 but my RIM can't handle it.

It has taken telstra billing some four or five months to get the account right and the last couple have been correct. 

The only funny bit is they seem to count the MB's a bit different to others as my usage jumped dramatically from my previous ISP. Somethoing like four times the usage.

Thats OK as I did get ample data download as you normally do these days.

northernangler1

CAV number is1300 55 81 81 however the modem does work albeit occassionally so a claim would take forever though there is plenty of backup complaints here to validate a claim.
David868

I have had the modem for not even a dayand so far this has happened 3 times.

It is not just the WiFi droping out the modem seems to just fail.

the log is conttinually showing the following message:

May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.526000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.522000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.516000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.512000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.506000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.502000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.497000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.493000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.488000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.484000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.476000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.471000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed: 
May 4 23:12:39kern.noticekernel[ 1906.466000] ufsd:uni2char (iso8859-1) failed:

Regards,

David

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi David,

Is this modem being used for an ADSL, Velocity or NBN service?

- Shelly

paulfedup

Hi all yes the 799 is a pain in the butt I have had the usual wifi and eathernet dropout and telstra sent a new one and it did the same thing.

In desperation I went and bought a linksys zac1200 and the problems go away.

Is there anyway I can use my home phone now it wont work in the phone port on the linksys,I have an NBN connection.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Paulfedup,

If you set the TG799 into bridged mode, you will be able to connect the phone service and your Linksys to it.

- Shelly

Raytek

WELL I have read all the posts in this forum and I must say "Telstra Youve gone and done it again" , I have just received this exact same modem . It works fine over Wifi but when its connected over ethernet it continually drops its connection on and off. It would be nice if a telstra representative had a quick fix for this.

Raytek
Accepted Solution

This guy deserves a big pat on the back modem still woking fine over ethernet no drop outs

Hi guys;

I have found the fix for the ethernet dropout proplem between TG799 vac and windows 8.1 .

Do the following;

* Enter  ' view network connections ' in the search tab

* Right click the ethernet logo 

* Left click ' properties '

* Left click ' configure '

* Left click ' advanced ''

* Choose and disable ' energy efficient ethernet ''

* Click ' ok '

* Shut down the computer and switch back on to make sure changes take place - after that , it is a permanent fix.

I hope this will save you a lot of headache and frustration , and I have passed the fix onto Telstra as well.

Chris

Syc1

I have had a bad experience with this modem.  I switched from another carrier to Bigpond ADSL and with it I got the Telstra Gateway Max (Techicolor TG799vac).

The first one constantly dropped all connections ethernet, wifi, ADSL and the internet connection.  It then fails to come back until about 3-6+ resets and it can take 4 to 6+ minutes to completely reset.

I called up tech support and ordered a new one.  This failed to arrive after over a week and a half.  Finally I had to physically go to a Telstra shop to get a replacement.  They confirmed that the order to raise a new one was cancelled hence why it never arrived.  They were good enough to supply a replacement device (I handed them my old one) and hoped for the best.  However this 'replacement' modem also suffered the same issue so I swapped back to my trusty Netgear ADSL modem.  The connection was rock solid for the days up to when I converted to NBN FTTN.

The whole reason I went to Telstra was for the NBN FTTN (VSDL) that was now ready for service in my area and my old carrier did not support FTTN.  Unfortunately my trusty Netgear did not support VDSL so I have now had to switch back to the TG799vac and I am still seeing the DHCP dropout intermittently a few times a day then I may have a good days then issues again.  During this time VSDL Connection is rock solid at 145MB / 43MB and rate is 26-28/5-6 which is to be expected as the node is less than 50 meters away.  It is not a line issue it appears the Modem is having issues maintaining this connection.

This issue of the DHCP failing to connect then working is extremely frustrating.  I tried to call Telstra support tonight and was on hold for other 45 minutes when suddenly it started working again so I ended the call.  As I am typing this post the DCHP is once again showing "DHCP connecting" with an orange indicator.  This modem is a poor excuse for a consumer device.  I will not even be able to post this without a connection and may have to resort to my phones hotspot to even post.  After waiting another 10-15 minutes it has connected again.

I would not recommend the TG799vac device to anyone and will likely be buying my own VDSL gateway router ASAP if Telstra can not offer an alternate solution.

Garry46

Have had the same problem as everyone else. The first faulty 799 was replaced and guess what?. Same problem with the replacement. Have gone back to using T-Gateway TG797n V3 and have had no problems. So much for new technology.

BadModems

I have had the same problems with my 2 new TG799 modems. My old TG797 still works fine but I loaned to a friend for a while and bought a 799 from Telstra, which they have replacedm once due to this fault of dropping out. These modems must have an inherent design fault and it's time Telstra did something about it. I fixed my problem by buying a Belkin wifi modem from JB Hi Fi for my ADSL 2 network and I have no problems.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now