CrowdSupport®
DJI1
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Arcadyan LH1000 with Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster

I was going to use the Google's Wifi router (to improve/expand our wifi network) connected to Telstra's provided Arcadyan LH1000.  This is until i read that I will need to forgo some functionality eg: VOIP and/or 4G Backup.

Just wondering if anyone have experience with the latest Telstra Smart Wifi Booster

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/wifi-extender

with the Arcadyan LH1000?

I tried to search for answers here but with no success.

My other questions are once the Arcadyan LH1000 and the Smart Wifi Booster are connected;

1) Does the LH1000 still acts as an access point?

2) Are we still able to access VOIP and 4G Backup

3) Double NAT will be avoided

TIA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Arcadyan LH1000 with Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster

If you wish to use Telstra modem in normal mode and google router both as access points one will have double NAT.

If you have to put the Telstra modem in Bridge mode to avoid double NAT you will loose the VOIP phone and 4G backup. And if you Bridge the Telstra modem I not sure if you will still be able to use the Gen 2 WiFi extender.

If you don’t have a FFTN/B NBN connection the Google router can be connected directly to the NBN NTD and the Telstra modem connect to the LAN port on the Google router. If you don’t want the Telstra modem to act as an access point the WiFi of Telstra modem can be turned off. If the Telstra modem is used as a WiFi access point in this configuration devices connected to it will have double NAT.

To avoid double NAT you could Bridge the Telstra modem but then you will lose both the phone and 4G backup.

DJI1

Thanks. So using Telstra’s Smart Wi-Fi booster with the LH1000 will avoid this ie double NAT?  

Yes if you use the Telstra WiFi booster their is no double NAT.

DJI1

@cf4 wrote:

Yes if you use the Telstra WiFi booster their is no double NAT.

Does the LH1000 acts as a AP with the Wi-Fi booster as another AP?  So all functionality will be preserved with this combo?

Yes the Telstra smart modem will still function as a router and access point and the WiFi booster functions as an access point only.

DJI1

@cf4 wrote:

Yes the Telstra smart modem will still function as a router and access point and the WiFi booster functions as an access point only.

Is band steering a default ie: can it be turn off with the wifi booster?  I have smart devices that only works with 2.4ghz bands during setup. At the moment with the LH 1000, I m able to select the 2.4ghz band for this to work.

DJI1

Bump, Anyone? Will appreciate it if you can share your experience(s). Surely by now there are plenty of Smart Wi_Fi Bosster Gen 2 being used?
With only the Telstra Arcadyan LH1000, I have disabled band steering. I find with band steering activated/selected, it switches from 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz frantically as one moves around so much so I will lose the Wifi connection until I reset the device.

So just wondering if it's the same if I add the Smart Wi_Fi Booster Gen 2?  I m also assuming with the Smart Wi_Fi Booster Gen 2 added VOIP and 4G backup will still work?

VOIP and 4G backup should still work.

There is no Technical reason why the GEN 2 WiFi booster should not work with band steering disabled but I can not definitely say that it will. @Yastiandrie  or @343GuiltySpark might be able to answer this question.

Guilty did some testing with this and I believe it was mimicked the modems settings. He'll know for sure

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Band Steering is disabled on my modem and my booster is broadcasting the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi with different SSID's
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now