dot_V7610_user
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Business Smart Modem - Netgear V7610 Port Forwarding failure

Answered

Hi,

The router is on the current V2.2.2.28 firmware. We used to be able to do port forwarding however after adding a new router downstream of the Telstra business device it consistently fails to port forward after 30 minutes. I have seen a significant number of posts about the issues with this device. Did Telstra just give up as a business router that can't port forward just isn't fit for purpose.

btw we only use the thing as a gateway though the NBN into Telstra's network with pretty much everything turned off and its generally been pretty stable.

What we see now is that after a full reboot the port forwarding works for 30 minutes and then reliably fails.

Should I just go down the Draytek path and replace the Netgear device as its not fit for purpose?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin_at_work
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Business Smart Modem - Netgear V7610 Port Forwarding failure

Hello,

I believe that we were having same or similar problem that has now been fixed.

Problem we were having was that VPN and other inbound connections would stop working. Whilst the VPN and other connections were not working we were able to surf the net plus send and receive emails. (How do you tell Telstra there is an internet problem when you can surf the net?)

I called Telstra support and got the right solution. The solution was to turn off IPv6.

Log into the Modem, go to Advanced->Advanced Settings, IPv6, you should find that the setting is Auto WAN, change this to IPv6 Disabled and apply the change, you may need to reboot the modem.

Once it is up, hopefully all your problems are sorted.

Apparently Telstra is now supporting IPv6 on NBN, the modem when it starts, starts in IPv4, after a while will change over to IPv6 and then your problems begin. VPN and port forwards I believe only use IPv4. (Certainly the ones we use are anyhow.)

Hopefully a simple fix to a PITA problem.

Regards,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Martin_at_work
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Hello,

I believe that we were having same or similar problem that has now been fixed.

Problem we were having was that VPN and other inbound connections would stop working. Whilst the VPN and other connections were not working we were able to surf the net plus send and receive emails. (How do you tell Telstra there is an internet problem when you can surf the net?)

I called Telstra support and got the right solution. The solution was to turn off IPv6.

Log into the Modem, go to Advanced->Advanced Settings, IPv6, you should find that the setting is Auto WAN, change this to IPv6 Disabled and apply the change, you may need to reboot the modem.

Once it is up, hopefully all your problems are sorted.

Apparently Telstra is now supporting IPv6 on NBN, the modem when it starts, starts in IPv4, after a while will change over to IPv6 and then your problems begin. VPN and port forwards I believe only use IPv4. (Certainly the ones we use are anyhow.)

Hopefully a simple fix to a PITA problem.

Regards,

dot_V7610_user
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Martin,

You were correct. Disabling the IPv6 capability on the V7610 router has fixed the stability issue with port forwarding.   

Many Thanks

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now