CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Steve881977
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gateway Max 2 (5G connection not showing on PC)

Answered

Hi there,

Need help with the gateway max 2. Upto a few day ago when it looks like the modem did some sort of update to allow NFC my 5G was working fine. SInce then I have only been able to connect to 2.4g and the 5g no longer shows up.

I have 3 Android devices in the house which pick up the 5g signal. So I can clearly see that the 5g network is active. But out of the 3 PCs in the house all 3 use to pick up the 5g network but now all 3 dont pick it up. 2 of the PCs run PCE-AC68 Asus network adapters the other runs a Netgear A6200 by the looks. 

I have tried rebooting the modem through the UI. I have tried shutting it down at the power source with no luck. I have tried disabling and re-enabling all wifi connections. But at least the Android phones pick it. Only variable I can see thats changed in the last few days is a gateway update.

Any help or ideas from here would be great. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mixedbeanz
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max 2 (5G connection not showing on PC)

OK, so with some help via Telstra Crowdsupport I have managed to get my IQ3 connected to my 5GHZ SSID. Apparently the IQ3 doesn't like something called DFS.

Changing the channel of my 5GHZ SSID to a non DFS channel (in my case, 149) resulted in the SSID-5G appearing on my IQ3 and I was able to connect.

Go figure. I wonder what changed on the Telstra Gateway in the last two weeks to cause this???

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 23: Superhero

I am still on the older firmware so haven't seen it as yet.

However, I wonder if perhaps they have combined the wireless access types into a single system. This then allows the device to select whether to connect at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz without having a separate -5G SSID.

EDIT: I believe the technical term is band steering.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Level 24: Supreme Being

I have the NFC update on my Max2 and still getting both bands on all our devices.

Maybe try resetting the device if you haven't? Honestly it sounds like you have done most other thing you can.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Have you checked to see if the 5 G Wi-Fi Band is set to broadcast the SSID? There should be a setting to make SSID visible as shown below or to setting to Broadcast SSID or Hide SSID. You might need to go into advanced settings to find the setting.

Wi-Fi_SSID_Visible.JPG

If the SSID is not being broadcast it will shown up as a Hidden Network on Wi-Fi list. To connect to it click on the Hidden network enter the SSID and password of the 5G Band Wi-Fi Network and click on connect

Steve881977

Hi there,

thanks for all the replies.

I checked the band steering and it is not enabled

I checked to see if its visible and it is.

Gave it a hard reset and no luck. I find it strange (maybe pure coincidence) that this NFC has popped up on the modem firmware (it has something to do with Android phones/tablets) and the only items in the house that can pick up the 5g now is Android devices. Not even the one apple phone we have in the house will pick up 5g any longer.

FYI NFC = Near Field Communication and what I understand it is so you can wave your phone in front of the modem/router and the phone will automatically get all connection info.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Steve881977,

Has the iPhone been updated to the latest version of software? Not sure if this will make a difference but worth checking. I would also go into the settings of the iPhone and Reset Network Settings to see if this will pick up the details via NFC as it does seem odd that the Android devices are picking it up and the iPhone isn't.

Give this a try and let me know if there is any progress. 

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mixedbeanz

@Georgie and all,

I'm am pretty much having this issue with my TG800VAC where my Foxtel IQ3 is the only device that can't see my SSID-5G. The IQ 3 can see other 5GHZ SSID's and all my other devices can see my SSID-5G. This issue only started within the last 14 days.

Please see the following threads I have created as between the both they detail all the trouble shooting steps I have followed so far. Desperately after a resolution for this.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Foxtel-IQ3-unable-to-see-5GHZ-SSID-on-Telstra...

https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Foxtel-iQ3/Foxtel-IQ3-unable-to-see-5GHZ-SSID-on-Telstra-Gateway-...

Mixed

mixedbeanz
Accepted Solution

OK, so with some help via Telstra Crowdsupport I have managed to get my IQ3 connected to my 5GHZ SSID. Apparently the IQ3 doesn't like something called DFS.

Changing the channel of my 5GHZ SSID to a non DFS channel (in my case, 149) resulted in the SSID-5G appearing on my IQ3 and I was able to connect.

Go figure. I wonder what changed on the Telstra Gateway in the last two weeks to cause this???

View solution in original post

@Steve881977

As Mixedbeanz has stated in his post it could be DFS issue so log into gateway go to Wi-Fi, disable auto channel selection on 5G Wi-Fi band and choose a non DFS channel from the list below.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-763.html

Steve881977

Hey All,

Thanks again for all the replies, I had completely forgot about this during my web searching and frustration. Anyways changing the auto channel to a non dfs worked so awesome work and thanks heaps Mixedbeans. 

Its odd so many devices in my house didnt like these (DFS channels) and yet a few did. Anyways credit to you Mixedbeans and much appreciated.

Steve

Schlep

Hi. My 5GHz connection started dropping a few weeks ago for my devices. Rebooting Gateway Max would solve it for a few mins, but then would drop again. Followed your advice, setting channel manually to 149, and this has fixed my issue. Thanks.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now