Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Visitor
0 Kudos

Re: Telstra Gateway Max - Static IP issue

Having very similar problems and wanting to avoid bridging with separate router.  Please, what is the firmware version for the update so that I know if I have it?  Can I force an update?  What is the end date for all routers to be udpated?

thanks

Contributor
0 Kudos

You can avoid the bridging part by turning off the DHCP server and using your other router to serve DHCP requests. However that solution still requires 2 devices. The advantage is you don't lose your AC1900 WIFI.

Regular Visitor
0 Kudos

Two weeks and still no further response.  (Firmware still at 5510_V10410.)

Has everyone just given up on this router?  I can't believe that's Telstra's solution to this problem...?

Contributor
0 Kudos

With DHCP turned off mine has been working fine. So yes personally I have given up and am using another device as the DHCP server on my network. The trouble is that even if Telstra does eventually fix the firmware there's no guarantee they wouldn't break it on a subsequent release and as you can see Telstra's response when a problem does occur is slow and inadequate. I just hope they don't break anything else.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Well that was a frustrating weekend.  Signed up last week and got modem installed on Thursday. Everything was fine as far as internet goes, speed was great going from a pitiful 3Mbps ADSL to 35Mbps cable. But on the weekend wanted to see what I could set up as far as limiting devices and times that devices could actually connect to internet - so wanted to see if any options for

* MAC filtering

* Scheduling based on MAC or IP filtering/rules

* some static IPs (nas, appletv, wireless speaker).

* DNS server for US Netflix and Hulu

Well that was the beginning of a frustrating weekend.

Found the section for MAC filtering, great added some devices to Allow List. Hmm, didn't seem to work very reliably.  Figured I get back to it. No scheduling as far as I could tell, oh well.

So next DHCP. Set up a number of devices to see I could assigned static IPs.  Hmm, might be working. Left it overnight during which at some point an update seemed to have been pushed out (maybe due to Telstra Air activation I guessed).  Devices having issues connecting to internet (ie router) and looking at router, there was a new section "Smart Mesh" and no MAC filtering section. What!! Finally found a forum which said you can turn off  Smart Mesh to bring back the MAC filtering section - so was able to clean up that and turn Smart Mesh back on.  That seemed to fix that problem.  But now no MAC filtering.

Next DHCP seemed to start playing up, ie nas not accessible.  It had a different IP.  Lost count how long clearing the table, adding an entry. And despite the entry, devices were still getting allocated totally random IPs.  So symptons are exactly as described in this thread, set static entries for wired/wireless devices, but to no avail seemingly.  Currently PCs, and NAS all have static IPs hardcoded.  But this is a ridulous workaround, I mean surely DHCP is a bread and butter function for a router.  Not seemingly the Telstra Gateway Max.

Didn't even get to look at DNS, but as I needed to set IP configuration on each device may as well just put the DNS entries in there as well.

Hmm, I think I regret saying goodbye to iiNet.  ADSL speed was not good, but at least had no issues with LAN setup - it all just worked, devices which required static DHCP entries didn't fall off the network, kids devices had set times for internet access. This Telstra router...what a piece of crap.  I guess I can be thankful I still have my router/modem for ADSL - will have to plug that in as a second device.  Though turning off DHCP and Wifi for the Telstra router likely isn't an option if I want keep Telstra Air - as soon as DHCP is off, Telstra Air is not longer available and obviously turning of the the wifi on the router you would think would stop Telstra Air.

Thankfully I found this thread so at least I know I'm not losing my mind. Just have to accept I paid over $200 for something that doesn't work.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually found that there is built-in functionality in Parental Control called Time of Day Access. With that said it doesn't actually work just like everything about this piece of garbage router. Going into the Telstra shop tomorrow, hopefully I can get my money back.
Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PeterCee you could try doing a full reset of the modem settings and starting again. I don't believe the settings retained after the firmware upgrade work properly until you do this. I had trouble with dropouts every few minutes and the full reset fixed it. I either had retained settings or restored from a config prior to the Telstra pushed upgrade and I believe that was the problem regarding the dropouts.

I haven't been game to explore saving the current configuration and restoring it again to see if that breaks it again since what I have working at the moment is usable (with DHCP switched off and another device performing that function). After the reset DHCP static leases still do not work. I don't use Telstra Air, MAC address filtering, or time of day access controls so I can't tell you which if any of these will work correctly once you do that. Such a pity that such capable hardware is ruined by such broken firmware.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks SammyY,

That's a factory reset?  Yeah, I've done that - still no joy. Or was there something else?

Contributor
0 Kudos

Nope that was all I had for you. All it fixed for me were dropouts every few minutes that made web browsing a nightmare.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Went to the Telstra store in the Queen Street Mall in Brisbane last Friday. Explained to the guy on the Tech Bar. He agreed it sounded liked like a problem with the router. He made some notes on my account and then he said I'd still need to call the support number to organise a replacement router.  Did that on Monday, lady was very helpful, no issue get a replacement. New router arrived Thursday.  So that side of things fantastic.

So following the instructions by Greyfox earlier in the thread, turned off all devices and set DHCP reserverations for about 10 devices. Initially the devices seemed to pick up the correct IP.  That lasted about a day, by Friday evening (now) it has all gone to the dogs.  Devices changed IP addresses.

So without doubt this is router is a piece of the proverbial.  Thanks Telstra, this router is a complete waste of $216 as it doesn't work as it should when it comes to LAN configuration.

Regular Visitor
0 Kudos

Hi Telstra,

I have Thompson T799 router and recently purchased the static IP . I contacted your customer service couple of times to get the solution for this but I am being told to spend 120 Dollers to get technical help for My IP address to be accessed remotely . I tried assigning the IP direct to machine and using port forwarding through router but none worked. Also done the factory reset of router but still did not help. I believe port forwarding does not work on this modem (though I can see on the forums that it works). Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Technical Support
0 Kudos

Hi Kadian,

If you have purchased a Static IP for your ADSL service, that is a separate thing to the topic of this thread which refers to assigning set IP within the gateway for the devices connected to it.

If you go to My Account and the Static IP that has been provided to you doesn't match the IP provided when you use a site such as http://whatismyip.com then that would be a separate issue that needs to be investigated.

Any advanced configurations such as Port Forwarding are not supported by BigPond Tech Support which is why they referred you to Telstra Platinum or a private computer tech.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

0 Kudos

Like the others in the thread, I have a C6300BD Gateway Max, 5510_V10413, and my network printer no longer works from the network.

I plug it into the back of the router, and runs printer setup on Mac OSX 10.11.1. 

The printer is able to be setup to the point of me being able to see the printer ink capacity and other information. That is, the printer IS connected and the driver can read the settings from the printer. 

When I try to print, I get a fault message 'the printer is not responding'.

So the computer can read the message from the printer, but the printer cannot load the data from the computer. 

The printer works fine when connected by USB to the computer. 

I have set the IP address of the printer in DHCP Reservation Lease.

I have restarted the printer, reset the printers LAN settings

Restarted the router

I am really reluctent to simply run it in bridge mode as I will lose all those ethernet ports and the strong wifi signal. I'm getting 110mbps download all over the house on the 5G setting with Telstra Cable.  

In order to get my printer going, I will have to set it to bridge and connect the Dell laser 3110cn printer to the Apple AirPort Extreme. 

this is very disappointing.

Tim

Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I gave up on DHCP months ago. I have another device serving DHCP on the network.

The modem updated itself to firmware 5510_V10413 on Sep 29 and has been up without incident for 28 days.

I was having trouble keeping a Skype connection up for more than a minute prior to the update. That issue seems to have resolved but I don't know if it was fixed by firmware update.

We shouldn't have to put up with this, but if you can find another device to serve DHCP the modem doesn't have to be put in bridge mode. (However I don't know what's causing the printer issue reported by the last poster, so that may be a specific case.)

0 Kudos

To add to the mystery of the lack of printing, this evening I found printing:
- Mac OSX 10.7.5 via ethernet to C6300BD Gateway Max to Dell 3110cn printer WOULD print
- Mac OSX 10.11.1 via ethernet to C6300BD Gateway Max to Dell 3110cn printer WOULD NOT print
- Mac OSX 10.11.1 via ethernet to C6300BD Gateway Max to Dell 3110cn printer using the network shared printer driver on the machine running OSX10.7.5 WOULD print.
- Mac OSX 10.11.1 to Dell 3110cn printer via USB, WOULD print.

Something about the printer driver on OSX 10.11.1 not being compatible with the C6300BD Gateway Max, or vice versa.

Weird.....
Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you sure your Mac 10.11.1's firewall is off? I found a few references to printing not working with it on.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1282102?start=0&tstart=0

I'm not a Mac user so that's as much help as I can give.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

Would you please advise me how to change the Telstra Gateway Max CB6300 into a bridge mode?

Contributor
0 Kudos

Note I haven't done this myself, but the theory is the same with every router. If anything below is incorrect I trust someone will correct me.

To put the Telstra Gateway MAX into bridge mode:

1. Log into the management interface usually at http://192.168.0.1 connected using a wired ethernet cable (very important!)

2. Click advanced

3. Disable the Wi-Fi. Under Wi-Fi->Wi-Fi Settings disable each of the WIFI networks by chosing each one under Wi-Fi Interface, selecting disable under Security Options and clicking apply

4. Disable NAT. Under WAN Setup->NAT Mode select NAT - Disable (Bridge Mode)  and click Apply

Each time you click apply you may be forced to reboot and go back in. Once you've applied all the settings verify that

After step 4 note that the modem is directly connected to the Telstra network. At that point you should unplug the PC and plug in your own router's WAN port to the modem, then connect your PC to on of the LAN ports on your router. WiFi should be served from your own router.

I don't bother with any of this. I just turned off the DHCP on the Gateway MAX and have another router serving DHCP requests. My router is still in NAT and I still use it's WiFi.

GKY
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Can anyone please help with a guide on turning off the DHCP server (gateway) and using your other router to serve DHCP requests so  you don't lose your AC1900 WIFI

Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Also see my post on this thread on page 2 at ‎28-07-2015 09:12 AM

There must only be one DHCP server on any local area network at any time. Otherwise you'll have multiple devices assigned the same address and that mean the computers can't talk to or reach each other. (To get out of that mess is a bit fiddly requiring that you restart only one DHCP server and all the machines that have had conflicts. Best to avoid it).

The other router needs to be connected to one of the LAN ports on your Telstra Gateway Max (or indirectly through a switch). Your other router must specify the Telstra Gateway Max's LAN IP address as it's gateway.

To turn off DHCP on the Telstra Gateway Max go to Local Area Network->LAN and set DHCP Server to No then apply. Note that if you do this without setting up your PC with a static IP address, or setting up another DHCP server, your computer won't be able to communicate with the Telstra Gateway max once it loses it's network connection (or is restarted) because it won't be served an IP address on the local area network.

So you will then need to set up the DHCP server on the other router. I can't give you detailed instructions on that. You need to look them up for your specific model. Look up how to do it first and have it ready to go before you turn off DHCP on your Gateway Max. Once you have switched DHCP servers you'll want to restart all your devices to refresh their IPs or refresh them manually (for example with ipconfig /renew at the command line on Windows machines). Because I'm not sure if the Telstra upstream gateway uses the same DNS servers, I've also configured Google DNS on my other router. 

You really need to understand what an IP address is, what a DHCP server, what a gateway is, what DNS is and how your local network works. Look up a good LAN setup primer on your favourite search engine and read it. This might help but I don't have time to look for a good one and evaluate it for you.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/tcpip.htm

If isn't hard once you do know it but if you can find someone who knows what they're doing to help you, I'd definitely do that.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Jamie Wright and I am a software developer as well as a hardware technician.

I recently purchased the Telstra Gateway Max (Netgear C6300) and would like to advise that the port forward, DMZ and UPNP features do not work even though they are present in the modem routers settings.

After hours of trial and error and research I have found that this particular router has bugs and requires a firmware fix in order to allow ports to open. I run a full time business and have a server as well as cameras I need to access externally and need to open ports to be able to get into my internal network.

If you don’t believe that there is a serious issue with this router, here are some links from a simple search result "netgear c6300 port forwarding not working" or "telstra gateway max port forwarding" and you will see there are a lot of other people having this issue. Here are some links:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/C6300-port-forwarding-is-there-a-hard-fix-yet/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Port-Forward-Not-Working-C6300-AC1750/td-p/511...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Port-Forwarding-Gateway-Max-Cable-Modem/td-p/...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Max-Static-IP-issue/td-p/3435...

I would like to know when this issue will be fixed as this is critical to my business and needs to be resolved because netgear and Telstra are selling modem routers that are broken. 

FYI, I have an old G3100 Telstra modem here that I tried and port forwarding works a treat however I have purposely upgraded to this C6300 for better wireless capabilities and now I’m running into this serious issue. I also tried to set the C6300 in DMZ mode and it doesn’t allow any ports to function through this mode therefore all access to my internal network are blocked.

Please advise if there a fix in place or when there will be a fix so this can be sorted. If it can’t be sorted then I will need to seek advice from the ACCC or I will need to cancel my cable connection.

Regards,

Jamie Wright.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Mate,

There is not solution and Telstra have no intetion to fix it, otherwise it would done long time ago.

Just ditch it. Send it back to Telstra andd get your money back. I did that.

Then I've setup the old modem in bridge mode and bogught decent WiFi router.

I'm excatly in the same situation as you. I work from home too.

Good luck,

eljot

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming none of this was ever fixed? I don't see any follow-up from Telstra after the post saying a new firmware would be released to help address DHCP issues...

I've just had by cable connection fixed finally after switching to Telstra and then having no Internet for over three weeks. Then I find out the the DHCP server on the router is completely bonkers and wasted better part of the day tearing my hair out as Quickbooks would not work with the router constantly assigning a new IP address every half hour.

The DHCP reservation table randomly deletes entries if I try to add more than four or five reservations.

DHCP reservations don't work and get thrown out after a while.

DHCP reservations seem to want to renew every hour or randomly before that.

Releasing leases doesn't fix reservations being ignored.

Renewing leases doesn't fix reservations being ignored.

The lease table does not show every IP address that has been assigned.

I ended up having to set static IP addresses as it was the only way to fix the DHCP server's problems and make Quickbooks work properly. Seems to be working with that workaround. Failing this, I'd have had to put the damn thing in bridge mode and hook up my Apple router. I don't know if putting the router on bridge mode will disable Telstra Air though?

I remember in the old days, both Telstra and Optus would supply a trusty Motorola modem. Those were rock solid. You supply your own router, and my Apple routers have always been great at doing their job. Seriously, what's the point of these modem/router combos if they're completely useless at being a router?

I appreciate having 802.11ac Wi-Fi out of the box, and Telstra wants the router to have Telstra Air working, but none of that really matters if the router is garbage and I have to disable all of that to have things on my network actually work!!

Contributor

You don't need to put it in bridge mode. You just need to turn off the broken DHCP server and use a second router with the DHCP server turned on to supply the addresses. If you have an old router you can use that. You can even turn off the WIFI on it if you choose. Set the old device's gateway to the Telstra Max. If you're using Tomato or DDWRT or other open firmware that uses dnsmasq, make sure you set the option for the gateway point to your Gateway Max so that all your traffic doesn't go through the old device to get to the Gateway Max. Been running this config for about 6 months now quite happily.

It's a real pity the firmware support is so poor. The hardware is pretty good.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

The last post says this is resolved 

NO SUCH THING HAS HAPPENED

TWO YEARS THIS THREAD WHAT A JOKE

I can't believe we 'upgraded' a couple of months ago without knowing this was a lemon

Firmware update nonexistent - Shelley you seem friendly and quick to respond but not sure you actually achieve anything

Static IP doesn't work

DLNA doesn't work

At the moment I'm receiving wifi from a range extender serviced via Ethernet with its own wifi network

2 MacBook Pros and 1 Macmini DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET ATM

From the Gateway Max we've got 2.4ghz, 5ghz, FON and Telstra Air networks streaming out into the world but NOT ONE OF THE FOUR NETWORKS CAN BE USED BY ANY OF THE THREE COMPUTERS

I do not want to pay any more for this rubbish, over charging, lies, stories, smiles, fakes, frauds with confusing bills

We've been waiting since before Chrsitmas to have Caller ID working on our home line

Even got a month of credits because of the poor service.

that was two months ago - hahahahahahahahahaha

Our speeds have fallen from 10-11mps to 6-7mps since changing from Internode to Telstra on Telstra DSLAM

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

Running a fancy modem/router in bridge mode or requiring a second router to supply the DHCP lease is also a joke

That's not a fix, that a one-legged duck work around, round in circles like dealing with Telstra
Contributor
0 Kudos

I REALLY resent that my workaround has been marked as a solution. 

The DHCP issue is just one problem with this firmware.

For months I had the modem running smoothly, using a second device for DHCP reservations. I did not need to put it in bridge mode so I could still use the WIFI on the Gateway.

Then one day my family told me they'd been experiencing issues with dropouts. I kept track of them and saw that often I was getting dropouts every few minutes, and whenever I was using the web console on the Gateway. 2 technicians came out and checked and renewed various bits and pieces of the cable connections. That didn't help. I have no idea what started my issues. I had not changed settings or added new devices to the network for months! 

I isolated one device directly connected to the Gateway and I tried a LOT of different configurations. Bridge mode worked fine. Then I moved it back to NAT and slowly added back my IP and WIFI settings. What I found was

- Instability occurred when the guest network was on the same subnet as the main (non-guest) WIFI network. It seems that this was the main thing that caused dropouts

I also found other bugs such as:

- It seems FON and AIR are broadcast even when showing they are off I'm unsure of the circumstances that cause this but when it does occur switching off WIFI and switching it back on using the button on the front of the modem on makes them disappear until the next time the modem is rebooted.

- Disabling then re-enabling the network from the web interface, the old WIFI password is preserved but security goes back to Open. So if you're not very careful you end up making the network completely open and insecure just by turning the WIFI off in the Interface then turning it back on.

- DHCP reservations only sometimes are allocated correctly, making the DHCP server useless.

- The latest firmware has removed the ability to manually configure which DNS server is assigned by the built in DHCP server.

Those last 2 mean the DHCP server is just about completely broken. Anyone that needs to set a static DHCP lease or assign their own DNS servers has no choice but to turn it off and use another device as I have.

I haven't confirmed this one myself as I have no use for it but I have read that 

- The advertised feature printed right on the box "Built DLNA allows for media sharing via an external hard drive, connected to the USB ports" is disabled by the Telstra firmware

Speaking of what's printed on the box: "Reliable dual band capability" and "reliable Wi-FI" connection and "share the Internet connection with your family at home" and "Customised User Interface to make managing the services within your gatewway as easy as possible"... This may be what's intended but it's not the true experience you get.

I have a complaint open that Telstra is attempting to close in a similar way. The complaints manager I spoke to thanked me and assures me the information will be passed on to "Telstra management" but is unable to advise which department will receive the feedback I am giving, and the complaints manager cannot arrange to for themselves or for me to be informed if and when something is done. This is the equivalent of filing my complaint in the recycling bin. The thanks is disingenuous. I've wasted many hours of my life on this issue and workarounds for the instability. I have the complaint's manager's manager ringing me in the next day or two but am told they will tell me exactly the same thing. I suspect I will be putting in a complaint with the TIO shortly.

Not good enough Telstra. Your modem does not meet your own advertising and the broken firmware makes it not fit for purpose!!!

Contributor
0 Kudos

You need a Telstra cable modem if you want to have Bigpond Cable internet.

Another router is need if IP reservation is required.

The only solution is to use the cheaper Telstra cable modem (if it is still available), set it in bridge mode and use good, modern wireless router. New family of wireless routers a packed with features and have good WiFi range.

That works for me and I have no issues, besides cable internet speed.

The speed drops to just between 1 - 3 Mbps in the evening. I can't ever reach 100 Mbps.

But the speed issue is not related to the modem, but Telstra infrastructure outside my house. This is proven by Telstra. I’m dealing with Telstra regarding this issue. I don’t that I have much change to resolve it, as Telstra would have to upgrade something, and it is not going to happen as NBN is being rolled out.

Cheers,

Eljot

Contributor
0 Kudos

I had been using the Gateway Max in NAT mode and using 5GHz WIFI for months before the instability occured. And now it's stable again, just with a lot of workarounds that shouldn't be needed. The only thing it isn't doing for me is DHCP and my many years old WRT54GL does that just fine. Why should I fork out $200+ on another device? This device is not advertised or sold as a dumb modem. Insisting that we should use it as one is not right. It should do what it is advertised to do.

Frequent Visitor
0 Kudos

sorry to revive an old thread, are we the unlucky ones or has the DHCP issues been fixed?

I've been running the gateway max in bridge mode, but I really want to declutter the setup

Contributor
0 Kudos

Not fixed to my knowledge. Personally my device hasn't received an update in months.