CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
cm13
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Gateway Max blocking NAS outbound

Answered

Was just upgraded from old Motorola Cable modem to Telstra Gateway Max. I have managed to get all working fine (some drama resetting some old devices that had been given fixed IP addresses) except my Synology NAS is no longer remotely accessible and also appears that it can't 'call home' to check fro software upgrades (which it does daily). I presume this is a firewall setting in the router but can't find where. Any advice? Thx.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max blocking NAS outbound

The old motorola probably will not work on your service anymore as I would assume they upgraded you to DOCSIS 3.0 which the motorola is incompatible with. If port forwarding is not an option (the port suggested to forward are here: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=51979) then you may have to buy a seperate router and bridge the modem

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
cm13
Accepted Solution

After several hours on this site, Netgear site and Synolgy site still couldn't get the internet connectivity for the Synolgy NAS through the Cable Gateway Max.

Declared failure and put the Gateway into bridge mode, ahead of my Netgear N600 Router.  Had to reset that to factory settings to get it to talk to the Gateway Max but now have everything back as before.  NAS has connectivity, all outbound mail working.  

Basicaly wasted probably 8 hours trying to accomodate the Gateway Max but ultimately failed.  All of my other network equipment is Netgear but somehow Telstra's mods to the C6300 seemed to have removed basic functionality/compatibility with Synolgy.  Effectivley it has now become a (bigger) replacement for the previous Motorola cable modem.  No uplift in speed that i can see.  Once you install it, you cannot revert to the old modem.  

Avoid if you can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15

You may need to setup port forwarding to the NAS

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

cm13

Thx.  Was just looking on the Netgear forum where i saw a similar report for non-Telstra model.  The suggestion there is that problem arises because the modem/router only supports, in this case, three DNS providers (dyn, noip and dt).  as such, will not engage with synolgy provided dns.  sounds similar to my experience.  the advice there was to get another router!  maybe i'll need to go back to the old motorola cable modem.

Accepted Solution

The old motorola probably will not work on your service anymore as I would assume they upgraded you to DOCSIS 3.0 which the motorola is incompatible with. If port forwarding is not an option (the port suggested to forward are here: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=51979) then you may have to buy a seperate router and bridge the modem

cm13

Thx.  I'm wondering if the NAS is just highlighting some other problem.  When i run diagnostics on my network adapter i get message 'your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding'.  Also refuses to give me a network map.  Tells me there is a problem with the router.

Could be the modem and could also be the computer..

Try the fixes listed here and see how that goes: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2779064

cm13

Yastiandrie,  thx for the advice.  had some time to work on this tonight.

1. discoverd that router is also blocking outbound email on a gamail account i have.  i guess this might be using a port that the router has blocked.
  2. network mapping fine if i run ethernet directly from the gateway max to pc but somebnody get confused as i start to attach switches and nas below that
  3. tried to revert to the motorola modem that i had been previously been using but as you predicted this no longer works.  this is an unfriendly act by telstra!
  4. guess i will need to set the gateway max up as modem only; is this is simple as selecting no for DHCP Server setting in admin panel?  then plug my (netgear) router below that and let it run the DHCP as previoulsy?

Hmm seems strange as bigpond email addresses use the same ports gmail does.

Cant remember specifically but I'm pretty sure the option has bridge mode written next to it in brackets. Also disable wifi on the modem before bridging it.

cm13

OK, one problem solved, albeit in strange way.  

reset TGM to factory settings and put PC (W7/64 bit) with direct connection to it. restatrted all.  could send and receive via Outlook 2010 on my bigpond a/c but couldnt send on a gmail acccount.  the gmail a/c isnt a standard @gmail.com account; it is a gmail for business a/c with own domain operating on google servers.  

in outlook checked ports that the two accounts were using for in/out.  for  bigpond they were 995/25.  for the other a/c they were 993/587.  set the other a/c to the same as bigpond.  no progress.  restored them to previous settings and now could send.  i dont understand that but guess i must have cleared some cache somewhere.  

now trying to get the synolgy box talking with outside world.  is being blocked somewhere.  not even allowed to contact the sysnolgy sites to check for updates.

cm13
Accepted Solution

After several hours on this site, Netgear site and Synolgy site still couldn't get the internet connectivity for the Synolgy NAS through the Cable Gateway Max.

Declared failure and put the Gateway into bridge mode, ahead of my Netgear N600 Router.  Had to reset that to factory settings to get it to talk to the Gateway Max but now have everything back as before.  NAS has connectivity, all outbound mail working.  

Basicaly wasted probably 8 hours trying to accomodate the Gateway Max but ultimately failed.  All of my other network equipment is Netgear but somehow Telstra's mods to the C6300 seemed to have removed basic functionality/compatibility with Synolgy.  Effectivley it has now become a (bigger) replacement for the previous Motorola cable modem.  No uplift in speed that i can see.  Once you install it, you cannot revert to the old modem.  

Avoid if you can.

Bluessonny
Level 2: Rookie

Did you have any luck solving this?  I have "upgraded" from TPG adsl to Telstra cable and now cant use my Synology.  Have spent hours trawling support pages with no luck...

cm13

Not really.  Had to revert to using the TGM as cable modem only.  Once i did that everything worked as normal.  

Is strange because the TGM is a Netgear box so it should play nicely.  Presumably something in Telstra's local mods are interfering.

Bluessonny

Solved this by using Google dons server 8.8.8.8. You may also need something like no-ip to deal with dynamic ip.

Bluessonny

Apologies that should say DNS not Dons (damn auto correct)- Google DNS server 8.8.8.8

Gillottine
Level 1: Cadet

Hi guys, I am having the same issue with my Telstra Gateway Max modem. Not running in bridge mode as it's the only router I have.

I have port 80 forwarded on the Gateway Max, although it's a string of mac address after my NAS ip as below, so not sure if this have been setup correctly.

Please help! I am unable to acess file on my NAS when off my home network which defeats one key purpose of my NAS

HTTP serverTCP808010.0.0.98 2001:8003:2435:600:211:32ff:fe5e:f5d4 fe80::211:32ff:fe5e:f5d4
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Gillottine,

Have you tried the solutions provided by Yastiandre and cm13?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now