CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
JudyMoody
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gateway Max login

Answered

I just got a new Telstra Gateway max modem and it tells you to go to mygateway but I don't know the Username and Password.  After searching this forum I discovered it was admin and password.  Does this mean that everyone can get into my network?  I tried to change the password but then I don't know what the username is. Also after trying to change the password, the internet went off and the modem light upstream stopped working. No internet. No Foxtel as I'm using a splitter. Not sure if these are separate issues or one and same.  Ended up plugging modem into old connection and ditching the splitter. I just want a secure network that works!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Greyfox
Level 8: Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max login

Judy,

You have a username and password for your Telstra/Bigpond account, and you have a username and password for access to the gateway settings. They are two quite different things.

The username (admin) and password (default "password") for the gateway (these defaults are for the C6300BD cable gateway) have no effect on whether the gateway has access the internet, they just prevent unauthorised access to the gateway settings (providing the password is set to something only the network administrator knows).

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
petros5460

Hi Judy

I am not sure I can answer your whole question. I am not familiar with foxtel and it sounds like you have a cable connection - I am not familiar with the cable setup.

As far as the password for the router is concerned I have left my user name as admin and just changed the password.

I think the internet may stop if you changed your user name and  password for the internet connection. Don't think it should be affected by changing the username and password for the router access.

regards

Peter

Level 22: Superhuman

Good morning.    Your security for your service is your Telstra log in username you chose when ordering the service  and password was allocated by Telstra (which you can change later).    You Wifi is also uniquely password protected by the password that comes on a card with your modem, which is also printed on your modem, which you can also change, though initially unnecessary.

The admin etc log in to your modem is only to access your modem from your computer. That is completely different and of no consequence, and can be left untouched.

Once you connect a new modem, and I have the same one, your browser will take you to the log in screen where you put your previously chosen username and Telstra allocated password.  The initial lig in can take a little time at times for the initial log in to be successful, depending on the number of people doing the same process in Telstra's activation system.

You may need to reboot everything to get to this page again.

If you have any problems ring Telstra cable technical support on 132200 and say internet cable support

Kind regards

Prof Phone

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"
Greyfox

"The admin etc log in to your modem is only to access your modem from your computer. That is completely different and of no consequence, and can be left untouched."

Sorry, I beg to differ.  The default access passwords are widely known, and anyone that is on the network can access the router using the default password if it hasn't been changed, and change the router settings.

There is little point for instance setting up parental control rules, if the router can so easily be accessed and the rules over-ridden by the target users. Some routers provide the means to restrict access to their settings to a single nominated client, but not all have that function and even when it is available it usually is not the default setting.

I suggest it is always wise for who ever is in charge of the network to change the default access password to a more secure one.

JudyMoody

Thanks so now I am completed confused.  Is the Username - admin and Password - password secure??? It doesn't sound like it.  I tried to change the password and lost access to the internet for the whole day and had to contact Telstra 3 times before it was reset and I could have access again.  I think I'll do 24/7 chat with Telstra to make sure I get the right answer.

Greyfox
Accepted Solution

Judy,

You have a username and password for your Telstra/Bigpond account, and you have a username and password for access to the gateway settings. They are two quite different things.

The username (admin) and password (default "password") for the gateway (these defaults are for the C6300BD cable gateway) have no effect on whether the gateway has access the internet, they just prevent unauthorised access to the gateway settings (providing the password is set to something only the network administrator knows).

View solution in original post

Tim12
Level 4: Private Eye

I had the same problem locating the gateway passwords after typing http://gateway/ but found once you use the admin password combination it allows you to change the default passwords to a user choice. So if you are at  all concerned that it can be accessed and setting altered I would suggest a new password and login are entered. Not sure who would want to change your modem settings or even if it can be done remotely but hope this helps

euleekoon
Level 1: Cadet

How do I access the Telstra Gateway remotely from outside of the network? Thanks.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

@euleekoon not sure if it is locked down but it would be from here: http://10.0.0.138 > Services > Remote Web Access

You will need to know the current Public/WAN IP for the gateway as well 

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now