CrowdSupport®
mforte
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gateway Pro (Netgear V7610) - New Firmware V2.2.2.21

Hi All,

This is not really a question but more of a answer to peoples issues.. 
I have seen multiple threads regarding the Telstra Gateway Pro (Netgear V7610)

I have had multiple clients with very similar issues all running different firmware releases.
Issues I have seen:
External ping turning off
Port forwards stop functioning until a reboot is done
Wireless drop outs
VPN disconnects
ADSL/NBN (FTTN/P) drop outs

The above issues do not happen on all devices, its very random with the hardware and firmware applied.

Troubled Firmware:
V2.2.1.14
V2.2.1.16
v2.2.1.22
v2.2.2.1
V2.2.2.6
Working Firmware:
V2.2.2.21

The mentioned working firmware V2.2.2.21 appears to have fixed these issues. The real troublesome ones being the external ping and port forwards stop responding. 

This firmware was randomly applied to the router after rebooting it. 
I have seen people suggest factory resetting these routers to grab the latest firmware, which has worked for some but not all. I suggest taking a backup of the router config and applying the factory reset to see if this works for you. If not, I suggest ringing Telstra to see if they can force the firmware update to your router.

You will know straight away if the firmware V2.2.2.21 and/or above has been applied. Once you browse to the WebGui you will notice the router has been renamed to "Telstra Business Smart Modem"

I hope the above helps as it certainly did help me!

Kind Regards,
Matt

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
32 REPLIES 32
ManBun888
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Telstra Gateway Pro (Netgear V7610) - New Firmware V2.2.2.21

Rang Telstra, they said we have the current firmware (2.2.2.6) Bunch of jokers!
mforte

I think it might be worth ringing them again and hopefully someone else does a proper look up.

Otherwise, you could try backing up the config and factory resetting the device to see if this pulls in the update file?
I have attached 2 photos, 1 which shows the new WebGUI login page and 1 showing the current working firmware V2.2.2.21

INew WebGUI.JPGNew Firmware.JPG

ManBun888

Spoke to Telstra today, they said that 2.2.2.21 was "recalled" due to issues and 2.2.2.6 is the latest. I said, "well, nothing works... I can only create port forwards that dont even work, and I can't delete them either" He then gave me the Netgear support number... what a joke... Why do they do this? I've tried to factory reset twice... nothing.....
uksa007

So I just signed up for DOT over ADSL, are they going to send me this modem with issues or have they replaced it with something that works?

I'm going to need port forwarding and stability or bridge mode with my own router.

Whats the options, can I replace the modem all together and use my own?

What model 4G Backup dongle are they sending these days seems some are E8372D and some are E8372h?

Can I use either of these with my own modem for 4G backup?

Advice?

Thanks.

Soar like an eagle, avoid pigeon poop!
ManBun888

In short, yes... they will be sending out a modem that is a disaster. There is also no official "bridge mode" It's a shame Telstra don't monitor these posts and reply...
Level 25: The Singularity

A couple of Telstra staff do monitor Crowdsupport (not always in an official capacity), problem is that there are so many posts, sometimes they aren't noticed straight away.

@Yastiandrie maybe you could provide a quick comment on it to clear up what the current firmware situation is?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

It began redeployment as of the start of this week.

Slow rollout Monday and Tuesday but would of started ramping up as of yesterday.

On holidays at the moment doing a lot of fishing and pretending I don't have a phone so bit slow off the mark Smiley Happy
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Cheers, was wondering why I hadn't seen many posts from you.
Enjoy the fishing.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ManBun888

So in short, they are pushing out the new firmware again???

Yep.
V2.2.2.21 has been redeployed and approx 75% of all v7610's are on it currently
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

ManBun888

Hi Yastiandrie,

My device still has the old firmware... whats the best way to "trigger" the update? Also, I'm hoping I will be able to port fw and have it actually work?

I'm trying to Port FW to by Synology which also runs my VPN server..

You should get it automatically if its left connected and online (They usually get pushed in the early hours of the morning)

90% of all v7610's now have it so if you haven't received it yet it shouldn't be far away

ManBun888

Hi Yastiandrie,

I'm still in the 10% Smiley Sad Ours is only connected via 4G - does this affect the rollout? Can I share my serial number and WANIP - is there a manual way to push it out? I'm desperate to get these Port Fws working.....

@ManBun888

Its possible that's the cause. I don't believe FW updates get pushed unless its on fixed line so the update is probably queued. Any reason why you're on the backup at the moment

If you on backup then Port Forwarding would not work even with the latest software as with mobile broadband your connection will not have a public IP address

The backup dongle for DOT v7610 services should be getting a public IP

uksa007

@Yastiandrie wrote:
The backup dongle for DOT v7610 services should be getting a public IP

Nope, Mine gets a 10 address, using the settings  the wizard configured in the Netgear 7610, it seems to use the APN: telstra.internet

Whats everyone else getting?

ManBun888

PW will work, I don't care what the WANIP is, I have DDNS setup.. @Yastiandrie We are on 4G because the adsl is shocking.. apparently we wont be charged excess data... anyway, so you suggest, plug the adsl line back in...?

DDNS requires a public IP to work. Your DDNS URL gets update with the public IP of your router. If there is no public IP the DDNS want work.
uksa007

@ManBun888 wrote:
so you suggest, plug the adsl line back in...?

Yep if you want the firmware to update it will need to be using a fixed connection (ADSL, NBN) NOT wireless.

uksa007

Can anyone confirm that this newish firmware fixes the outstanding issues, or is it too early to tell?

The following thread seems to suggest the port forwarding is still an issue.
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/No-incoming-emails-until-router-is-rebooted/m...

ManBun888

When the modem is on Wireless/Fixed/Whatever.. you will get a WANIP, DDNS will update the host record to match..

I hope the new firmware fixes the port fw issues... what a joke!
uksa007

@ManBun888 wrote:
When the modem is on Wireless/Fixed/Whatever.. you will get a WANIP, DDNS will update the host record to match..

Yes but if the WAN IP is a 10.X.X.X address it is a private address, which means it can NOT be routed over the internet. So you can update your DDNS record with it, but it won't work as it wont be routed on internet.

I suggest your check what IP address your 4G adapter is getting allocated.

ManBun888

I'm getting a public IP
mforte

Funny enough, I now have another client who has had their firmware updated to the re-released .21 firmware and they are also having port forwarding and ICMP (External Ping) errors.

The catch.. 10+ other clients whi have no issues with port forwarding or ICMP (External Ping)
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There is a new firmware update being released for this modem soon. Once those customers have received it, let us know how it goes.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mforte

Can you provide more details than that?
What will it fix?
When will it be released?
mforte

Hi All,

The Gateway now has a newer firmware out - V2.2.2.28. This still appears to have external ping issues.

Not aware of other issues at the moment. Will keep you posted

LickitySplit
Level 1: Cadet

We were upgraded to v2.2.2.28 on the 15th of November. All incoming ports have now been blocked which also means our VPN connections no-longer work.

Telstra solution is to downgrade and lock the firmware at v2.2.2.21 but it means we can no-longer access the modem to make any changes or to install a third-party modem that they will then not support.

Might try a reset, but really don't have the time to then troubleshoot any issues we may have with stuff we can't access.

ManBun888

yeh, still massive problems here too... I hate this... these problems where solved 10 years ago... what is wrong this Telstra....
Phil35

Just been bitten by this & now lock out of a site 650km away with little support.

Last week I finally got the VPN active & tested it over a few days; all fine.

Then I atempted to change the VPN password & it will now no longer connect.

Port forward is the same; have had a staff member reinstate it, but it's simply not working.

Have check all the settings via a reverse connection initiated by staff & all OK.

Seem pretty ordinary that these simple services are so unreliable.

Platinum support has been suggested, but from what I've read on here, there are still no rock solid solutions for the issues with this router.

One I'm dealing with is on Firmware V 2.2.2.28.

mforte

Yep

Appears V2.2.2.28 is just as bad (for some routers, others work a treat)

I have a few clients he still have the following issues:

- External Ping ICMP

- Port Forwards stop passing traffic

- Outbound traffics stops passing through

It's a shame, really. These router seem pretty powerful and have some nice features.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now