Highlighted
ScottDA
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Gateway max unable to access internet

Answered
Periodically (two or three times a week for anywhere from 10 minutes to 5 hours at a time) our Telstra gateway max (running on telstra's cable service, not NBN) will cease to function properly. On inspection the lights on the modem will cycle through the WAN light flashing, The wan light and up stream light dark and the down stream light flashing and, the up stream light flashing with the wan light dark.

This has been occurring for a while now, but recently the length of and frequency of these interruptions of service have been increasing. The interruptions only ever happen between 10 am and 5 pm.

When I log into http://mygateway/ I receive a banner at the top of the page that reads;
"Your gateway cannot detect a cable signal or is having problems connecting. Check your gateway is connected to the 'Cable Modem' port on the filter/splitter."

I have confirmed that the gateway is properly connected, and re-attached the cables multiple times, and also restarted my gateway numerous times to no avail.

When I attempt to view a web page, I revive a screen telling me that my WAN connection is down, And to check my lick and connection settings. I have done so and nothing was out of the ordinary.

I live in the Sandgate area, has anyone else experienced similar interruptions?

Does anybody know what the problem could be, how to fix it, and whether it is on my end or telstra's?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway max unable to access internet

Hi ScottDA, 

You can check to see if there are any outages in your area by viewing our Service Status page and entering your postcode.  If there are no outages listed please try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Turn off your cable modem.
2. Disconnect all coaxial cables as this helps to clean the connectors
3. Leave the modem completely turned off and disconnected for at least 10 minutes. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection to the network in a way that a restart will not.
4. If you have Foxtel and a splitter, try connecting the modem directly to the outlet without the splitter. Splitters can become faulty and may need to be replaced.

5. If you have multiple outlets, try the modem connected into each one. 

If you are still experiencing issues after trying this please contact our Tech Support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat

Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi ScottDA, 

You can check to see if there are any outages in your area by viewing our Service Status page and entering your postcode.  If there are no outages listed please try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Turn off your cable modem.
2. Disconnect all coaxial cables as this helps to clean the connectors
3. Leave the modem completely turned off and disconnected for at least 10 minutes. This will force the modem to renegotiate the connection to the network in a way that a restart will not.
4. If you have Foxtel and a splitter, try connecting the modem directly to the outlet without the splitter. Splitters can become faulty and may need to be replaced.

5. If you have multiple outlets, try the modem connected into each one. 

If you are still experiencing issues after trying this please contact our Tech Support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat

Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Pppb

Hi there. How'd you go with this.

Mines doing exactly the same thing. Just called tech support and they're planning on sending someone out. I reckon the modem is cooked 😗
Kimothy

We have been having the same problem and it was suggested we need a new modem, which we have received. Still same problem. Outage page on Telstra says possible problems in our area but all our neighbours are no thaving trouble. Tried to call for assistance on Monday and put on hold for 90minutes - hung up. Tried again late on Tuesday night and on hold for over 30mins - hung up again. Not happy because when we received our new modem on Saturday they convinced us to re-sign for a two year contract. Will be trying to get out of it because we cannot get any assistance and will again have to go to Telstra shop. It is also affecting our Foxtel and working from home. NOT HAPPY!

Level 24: Supreme Being

Are you on NBN or do you have an ADSL connection? If ADSL have you entered the Bigpond user name and password into the new modem?

Default IP address http://10.0.0.138 or http://192.168.1 or http://192.168.0.1
Default user name and password
admin/admin or
admin/password or
admin/blank (no password)

Kimothy

ADSL and yes, we have installed new modem correctly. It is the same problem that we had with the previous modem so I don't think it is the modem. We are unable to access it through any device at home. As we cannot get any internet at home and no luck in speaking with anyone at customer support, I am having to send this from my work so I am not currently in front of my home computer.

Kimothy

We would just really like to be able to speak to someone when we are home in front the PC but I'm not quite sure how long Telstra expect people to wait. I think 90minutes is way too long, don't you?

Even if you don't have internet access you should still be able to access the modem. The Wi-Fi SSID and password should be on the modem usually on bottom of modem. If you can not access modem using Wi-Fi then Wi-Fi might be turned of in modem. To turn Wi-Fi on log in to modem click on the Wi-Fi link to find the settings for turning on Wi-Fi.  

Kimothy

Thank you, yes we have done all that. I was purely mentioning no WiFi cause when we are on hold for ever and ever, it gives us the message to go to website to look for possible answer.

Jman2

Exactly the same problem here! Whats the fix??
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jman2, 

Have you tried the troubleshooting listed in the solution above?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now