CrowdSupport®
Basa1
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gen 2 Booster setup problems

Answered

I have recently connected a Telstra Gen 2 modem to the NBN and it works great, however with a double brick house wifi was poor so I purchased a Gen 2 Booster.  I followed the included setup guide and I cannot pair the booster (red light).  If I use a LAN cable I can get a blue light, but when LAN removed, I get a red light even when the Booster is next to the modem.  I tried pairing with LAN and without LAN, no success.  However, if I connect the Booster to a LAN in another room, the light is blue, but the modem SSID is not extended,  but I can see the Booster as a seperate SSID "TelstraWIFI-xxxxxx".

I've spent hours trying to get the Gen 2 Booster to work, appreciate any tips otherwise I will return it and get a traditional wifi extender. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gen 2 Booster setup problems

Currently the Technicolor aren't compatible with the boosters, only the Arcadian variant of the smart modem is until a firmware update is applied to the technicolor modem. I'd recommend calling 137 587 to speak with Telstra Platinum who can assist with the Gen 2 booster further than what can be done via crowd support.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
41 REPLIES 41

Have you tried "Forgetting" the connection, re-booting and attempting again?
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"

Whats the model Number of your Modem? If it Starts with CP I'd recommend calling the 1800 support number that is listed in the instruction pamphlet that was included with the booster.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Basa1

Thanks for the suggestion, I gave it a try but no luck, the Booster still won't pair.
Basa1

The Booster model no is M35H-MAP, and the support number on the pamphlet is 1800870580, which has a message, "the promotion you have called about is finished, please call the general Telstra no", not having much luck with Telstra products or service today !

Model number on the modem not the booster please.

Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Hi Basa1 - I apologise in advance if you have already done this. As I understand it and just to clarify your configuration, is the Wi-Fi Booster 1 (WB1) LAN Port connected to Smart Modem LAN Port permanently. WB1 becomes your Master Booster Controller and supervises all remote WBs. The second remote Wi-Fi Booster 2 (WB2) unit is supervised by WB1 and registers its existence with WB1 (not sure if through Wi-Fi or Powerline). After pairing WB2 to WB1, you should see the Wi-Fi Booster Network - as you have indicated and then if you wish for convenience, change its SSID and password to the same as the Telstra Smart Modem so that all devices in your network can connect without reregistration.

If you have done this and not getting any synchronisation between WB1 and WB2, can you try a different power point in case communication between these units is using the electricity cables, like Ethernet Powerline Adapters do.   Hope this helps.

Highlighted

With the Gen 2 WiFi boosters the modem (Smart Modem Gen 2 Only) acts as the controller and the booster can be placed elsewhere in the house with a good WiFi connection for back-haul to the modem or via an Ethernet cable for back-haul to the modem.

Basa1

Sorry, the Modem is a technicolor DJA0231

I've also Reported 1800870580 as not functioning as it should.

Accepted Solution

Currently the Technicolor aren't compatible with the boosters, only the Arcadian variant of the smart modem is until a firmware update is applied to the technicolor modem. I'd recommend calling 137 587 to speak with Telstra Platinum who can assist with the Gen 2 booster further than what can be done via crowd support.

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

Hi 343GuiltySpark - thanks for clarifying the control functionality with the Smart Modem 2 and the Wi-Fi Boosters arrangement - learning all the time. Wi-Fi Boosters, Extenders and Repeaters seem somewhat similar - in this case it appears that the setup sets the Wi-Fi Boosters as Repeaters under control of the Smart Modem 2. A LAN interconnect therefore should be more effective and stable if feasible. Given the alternative radio inter communication between the SM2 and the WB, in some environments, would  Beamforming activated in the Smart Modem 2 misalign with the remote WB Repeaters? Cheers

The Mesh setup is part of the Wi-Fi roaming IEEE® 802.11k/v ( It's relatively new), they are designed to work in unison not as a standard repeater, hence the modem acts as the controller. For example IEEE 802.11k: enables APs and clients to exchange information about the Wi-Fi environment IEEE 802.11v: uses network information to influence client roaming decisions and facilitate overall improvement of the network

Basa1

Hi 343GuiltySpark, thanks for the update, I called Telstra Platinum and initially they told me that I needed 2 Gen 2 Boosters, however on checking further agreed that the pairing problem was associated with the Technicolor modems. Hopefully the firmware update will arrive soon.
Mkrtich

Thanks for the additional information. I think its clearer now and hopefully I have understood the status quo properly. I got confused with the previous generation of Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Boosters ( assume Disks) which were always shipped in pairs, one WB had to be LAN cable connected to the Modem. The same condition applies with the Smart Wi-Fi Boosters Gen 2 (rectangular) if they are connected to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen1 or Telstra Frontier Modem only.

As you say in your post and reading the Telstra web pages, it appears that the Smart Wi-Fi Boosters Gen 2 don't require one WB dedicated to LAN connection and work in unison under the control of the Smart Modem 2 (Arcadyan only at this stage with Technicolor to follow with firmware update) in mesh architecture.

If current Telstra web information is accurate, it seems customers will receive two new Smart Wi-Fi Boosters Gen 2 units for $192 even if they only need one and Telstra is happy for the customer to have both. Good to have as spare or expansion. Thanks again for your feedback. Appreciated. 

They will only receive 1 booster - if they have a non gen 2 smart modem they will get 2 boosters. One will be plugged into the modem and act as the controller. Same was as the gen 1 boosters (disks) currently function.

It should be soon, I personally have a Technicolor Gen 2 Smart Modem and the Test firmware has been installed on my modem and is working well with the Gen 2 boosters.

Mkrtich

Got it now. Thanks - that fine print always get me! Cheers
abthomp
Level 11: Detective

So Telstra are selling a product to customers knowing it will not work?????

Glad I saw this. I was about to order one of these WIFI extenders. Now I know it won't work with my Technicolour Gen 2 I'll get something from Officeworks that I know will work.

Mkrtich

Hello abthomp - I think it is good to have a look around the market for offerings so that you can make an informed decision for your specific requirements. Apologies in advance for two reasons - firstly, I am notoriously known amongst my friends of being incapable of saying anything in less than 25 words or less and secondly, if you are already aware of the following suggestion and information, in case it helps you with your final decision. There are many Wi-Fi extension technologies on the market, each with their respective sweet spots depending on your specific home layout, devices requirements and budget considerations. The Telstra Gen 2 Wi-Fi Booster presents as an impressive competent carrier supplied product as it one of the few newly certified 'Wi-Fi EasyNesh' products available on the market. Some of the retail products using the word 'Mesh' in their marketing don't meet this new Wi-Fi Alliance Standard and use their proprietary technologies to create their own Wi-Fi Mesh independent of the Router. To support this new Open Standard, the Router also has to be certified under the Global W-Fi Alliance Specification alleviating the need to have a dedicated Master Booster, so some Routers may not be capable of future migration. From the previous post by 343GuiltySpark, it appears that the Gen 2 Technicolor variant of the Smart Modem Gen 2 will be upgraded for compliance and is undergoing final certification tests in Australia prior to its firmware update release. The Telstra Smart Modem Arcadyan Gen 2 version is already compliant. 1. If you have a spare or redundant Wi-Fi Router from your pre-NBN days, and you can run a LAN cable from the Gen 2 Smart Modem LAN port to the remote location, it is possible to connect it to the LAN port of the spare Router making it Wi-Fi Access Point thereby extending a transparent Home Wi-Fi Network. This requires pre-setting the spare Router into Bridge Mode (disengages the DHCP function - the Gen 2 Router assigns the IP addresses for all devices and the SSID can be changed to same name and password to provide transparency to the users). Works well and an affordable quick solution where LAN inter-connect cabling is feasible; unopened new Telstra Gateway or used Telstra Frontier Routers sell from $10 to $20 on Gumtree. Telstra CrowdSupport postings also exist on the configuration process for reference. 2. If you see Wi-Fi Extenders that are on the budget end of the market, be aware that these single unit devices are generally Repeaters - incoming signal is received and regenerated at half the throughput, so performance can be below expectations and vary depending on your environment particularly for 5.0 Ghz devices if building penetration is an issue. They may work OK in your environment and devices; refer to section 3 below re speeds. As you move up the scale into higher technical platforms and budgets, other solutions may require a permanent LAN connection to a Master Booster which wirelessly communicates to the Remote Booster/s; these are sold in two or three unit packages. 3. I have only recently become familiar with the new Wi-Fi EasyMesh Architecture and I am impressed for a few reasons. Communication channels between the remote Wi-Fi Access Points and the embedded Software in the Router are set by the Router which not only maintains continual supervision of signal, handover and management but also does this at higher speed throughputs by using later generation Wi-Fi technologies. The Telstra Gen 2 Booster is Wi-Fi EasyMesh compliant, rated at 802.11 AC, 4 x 4 Antennae running at MAX AC2533 ( no slouch - that is maximum 1733 Mbps on 5.0 Ghz and 800 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz). All Wi-Fi speeds are specified in half duplex and have a reasonable element of marketing science fiction in them as the real world of homes and premises is not kind to radio waves, meaning they will be lower than maximum ratings. However having said that , I would expect the Gen 2 Booster to provide a robust connection given its nominal AC2533 rating and look after many people quiet comfortably into the future. In time we will know if the Telstra Gen 2 Booster is stable and works well in the field. If it lives up to its stated performance capabilities and you don't have a spare redundant Wi-Fi Router or wish to experiment with an acquired used router, not in a hurry and it's within budget, I think its a good pick. Cheers.
Mkrtich

My apology to anyone who had the misfortune of stumbling across reading my above response. It seems that the formatting of my paragraphs was lost in the pasting of the text into the web page. Sorry. 

abthomp

Yes it may become a great bit of kit but currently it's like buying a car without a gearbox. If you buy this piece of kit on line you have to specify which modem you have. Surely that could trigger a warning to potential purchasers that it will not currently work with the Technicolour Gen 2.

Liking your suggestion of using my Technicolour Gen 1 in bridge mode. Sound like it will work fine for me and also means yet another piece of redundant Telstra tech doesn't go in the bin.
Mkrtich

Yes - I agree with you. The web site should be dynamically adjusted to currently limit you to the Arcadyan Modem and then introduce the Technicolor version when it passes testing. One never knows if the Technicolor version originally worked, then became a recent victim of an undocumented firmware upgrade conflict or feature - these things happen with software. I also like to re-use kit and think that the majority of simple home Wi-Fi networks can be extended with existing redundant routers people have in their homes. Everyone will have different requirements. As we transition to the NBN, I shudder to think of the millions of ADSL and HFC routers that are being displaced all around Australia.There will be 15 M Modem/Routers in service on completion of the NBN; some people have also received multiple new units from carriers for various reasons. Where spare equipment is not employed as Wi-Fi Access Points or LAN Switching, these unrequired redundant ones should, by Government policy, be recycled by carriers for overseas underdeveloped countries as the majority of them have no fault and work fine. Otherwise most of them will end up in land fill. All the best.

hwka
Level 3: Gumshoe

The Gen 2 Booster is compatible ONLY with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000.
It will not pair with the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 DJA0231 Technicolor.
Exactly the same modem box , same name , same colour - different manufacturer.

I have both the (same?) modems and the booster and exactly the same experience you describe.
Apparently we have to wait until an update is available for it to work on both (same?) modems..which you can not initiate - it is done automatically so make sure your modem is left on.
I have been advised that it then "should" work.

Monty Python script:
You: Oh, this expensive car I just bought - looks great - but ummm, it doesn't work.
I think it is dead.
Monty: It is NOT dead. It is resting. Actually it is waiting for an update. - which happens to be an engine.
Should be OK then.
hwka

I posted below prior to reading your responses - which are very comprehensive and much needed.
The use of an old modem as a wireless access point is especially relevant.
The problem is there is far too little informed - and honest - comment in this field.
Your comment is the exception and I thank you for it.
This particular problem is a PR disaster and Telstra should be aware that thoroughly annoying their own customer base might (will?) ensure that they if they get annoyed enough to leave that they will never return.
abthomp

Python and Telstra = Gold!
Although I'd have to say Telstra more like Basil Fawlty.
DAN_DA_MAN

This is not really good enough is it?

I bought one of these last week and jut thought I had a faulty one until I found this thread.

The only advertised qualifier is the requirement for a Gen 2 Smart Modem, not a particular brand of Gen 2 Smart Modem. This product should not have been released until it was fit for purpose.

A situation best described as ordinary. 

Big_Will

I have the same issue. has this been rectified??

hwka

Advice direct from the office of ....never mind.

A firmware update to enable compatibility of the Telstra Smart WiFi Booster 2 (M35H-MAP) with the Technicolor DJA0231TLS Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with Voice Backup will be available on Tuesday 11 June 2019.

To ensure an automatic update make sure your modem is left on overnight.

Big_Will

Thanks for the info.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Started getting deployed on Friday. Update will be 18.1.c.0347-950-RC

Rebooting the modem may automatically trigger the update

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Big_Will

I'm still on 18.1.c.0283-950-RA

Big_Will

Firmware Number

18.1.c.0347-950-RC

Updated and connected

Toomuchit

I'm still waiting on this update for my Techicolor DJA0231 version Gen 2 modem. Have power cycled the modem last three evenings and checked the following morning but still on 18.1.c.0241-950-RA I read somewhere (maybe higher up in this thread) that the update is being rolled out overnight 5000 modems at a time. So it should eventually come to me. But is there any way it can be forced to my modem from the Telstra end? I haven't had much joy calling Platinum support about other issues and keen to be armed with some info before I try again.

I turned mine off for a full minute and it received the update. You could also try a factory reset. The update is currently triggered by a modem restart not the standard roll-out procedure that you are referring to.

Toomuchit

Have been powering down for a few minutes on each occasion. Just tried factory reset. No firmware update as yet... but it's only been 20 minutes and maybe it will happen later - though I note that you're saying restart is the trigger (others are saying it happens overnight - or maybe that's something I read in old posts) Can I go ahead and re-establish the handful of fixed IP addresses I had set up? Or will the firmware update wipe these, in which case I will wait?

At the moment the firmware upgrade is triggered by a restart. One colleague restarted his modem twice in succession and that triggered it. You should be fine to set your static IPs back upm

Toomuchit

No luck with double restart Smiley Sad As you know GuiltySpark... from your excellent help on another thread, I started out wanting the new firmware to fix another issue with this modem - though it probably won't help. But I now have the Smart Gen 2 Booster and it's most frustrating that I now have two problems with the modem not working as intended/advertised - and apparently no way to fix the problem. Can you give me some guidance about how to go about getting the firmware update pushed to me... or installed via remote control from the Telstra end? Or should I seek a replacement - hopefully with up to date firmware or maybe the Arcadyan version of the modem? From repeated experience, I have no confidence that a call to platinum support will result in anything other than being told to go through all the steps already taken and/or being told that I'm imagining things.

Generally speaking Platinum doesn't modify firmware on modems.

Toomuchit

I'm guessing the brevity of your response reflects the fact that you have to be careful what you say... and that's fair enough! Will take a deep breath and ring platinum support. Otherwise I have an unusable Wifi Booster and a modem that doesn't work as it should.

Firmware update for the Technicolor gen 2 is primarily for the Wi-Fi booster and won't affect Telstra air

Toomuchit

Just in case it helps others... problem is now fixed. I must have struck it lucky because finally I got on to someone on the phone at Platinum support who understood my issue straight away... didn't make me go back through all the troubleshooting already done. She had to seek advice from a colleague/supervisor... but was back within a couple of minutes and, as I watched, the firmware was pushed to my modem. A couple of reboots later (with no intervention from me) I had the latest firmware and my Gen 2 Boosters are paired. As an aside, she was also very helpful wrt to my other less important problem... and I may now have that one sorted... but will post on the other thread.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now