BdB4500
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Cellular is very slow

I purchased a Telstra Smart Modem with the hope that when my ADSL failed or slows which it often does that I'd get some usable speed when switching to Cellular. Sadly in recent months it seems no faster than my ADSL landline - around 0.4Mbit/sec. At the same time when I check the speed of my iPhone on the same Cellular network -it gets around 20Mbit/sec. While I realise that the smart modem is capped to 6Mbit/sec, I really don't think that 0.4 Mbit/sec is a realistic speed against the advertised data from Telstra, particularly when I know that the cellular network is putting out much higher. Why is the cellular on the smart modem so slow - has the speed been c controlled even further.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Cellular is very slow

Your 4G backup might be throttled to 256Kbps because if the signal light is either green or orange should get close to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.. If backup is used for extended period of time it gets throttled to 256 Kbps. To have throttling removed ring support and request a web form be submitted to have throttling removed.
Level 21: Augmented

@BdB4500 wrote:

I purchased a Telstra Smart Modem with the hope that when my ADSL failed or slows which it often does that I'd get some usable speed when switching to Cellular

Without attempting to accuse you of wrongdoing, the bolded part of your message suggests the reason. Do you ever disconnect the ADSL cable on purpose? I.e. when ADSL slows down, you disconnect it and hope that backup provides better speed? If so, that's not what it was designed for and you are probably throttled down as @cf4 suggested. The backup is designed to take over your connection automatically when and only when the ADSL or NBN connection fails. Not when you wish so.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
BdB4500
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you for the responses. I recognise the issue with consciously disconnecting the modem from the fixed line but my issue continues. The modem remains connected to the fixed line and the backup light on the smart modem flashes between orange and green with it sometimes showing either orange or green for extended periods. Multiple calls have been made to Telstra without resolution. NBN is still a long way away and Telstra seem unable to grasp the problem. They acknowledge a fault and then say that it has been resolved only for it to reoccur. At times the system works as it should whilst at other times it does not.

The backup light indicates the strength of the 4G signal.

Green Good

Orange OK

Red Poor.

As long ad back light I'd on 4G should work and unless backup is throttled should receive close to 6 Mbps if led is orange or green.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now