CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Mikey_Mike
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem DJA0230 Site Blocking not working (still)

Answered

As per a previous but now locked post.

Firmware: 17.2.0406-820-RC
Blocks 1st item only - I (and my impressionable son) can get to the rest:controls.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem DJA0230 Site Blocking not working (still)

I know that https:// circumvents the URL blocking within modems because the packets are encrypted and cannot be inspected by the modem to identify that they should be blocking.

However ... 

Every Telstra service comes with Telstra Broadband Protect which can easily be enabled and disabled via My Account

I did a test on my home internet service and found that setting the Parental Controls to Medium blocked all of those sites but allowed them when set to Low. 

Alternatively, if you are wanting to block specific sites, there is another option for allowing and blocking specific sites. I found I had to retype one a couple of times, but after I saved and logged out, those sites were able to be blocked. 

However ... 

Be aware that if your child is able to configure the DNS on their device/s, they can bypass this by using alternate DNS settings such as Google DNS. 

To prevent this, you will need to look at adjusting your admin privileges on those devices so that the DNS cannot be altered.

I hope this helps.  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem DJA0230 Site Blocking not working (still)

I know that https:// circumvents the URL blocking within modems because the packets are encrypted and cannot be inspected by the modem to identify that they should be blocking.

However ... 

Every Telstra service comes with Telstra Broadband Protect which can easily be enabled and disabled via My Account

I did a test on my home internet service and found that setting the Parental Controls to Medium blocked all of those sites but allowed them when set to Low. 

Alternatively, if you are wanting to block specific sites, there is another option for allowing and blocking specific sites. I found I had to retype one a couple of times, but after I saved and logged out, those sites were able to be blocked. 

However ... 

Be aware that if your child is able to configure the DNS on their device/s, they can bypass this by using alternate DNS settings such as Google DNS. 

To prevent this, you will need to look at adjusting your admin privileges on those devices so that the DNS cannot be altered.

I hope this helps.  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now