CrowdSupport®
Level 24: Supreme Being

Telstra Smart Modem DJA0230 manual (Unofficial)

I have previously written a manual for the Sagemcom F@st5355 and the Telstra Gateway Frontier. I recently acquired a Telstra Smart Modem and although it has a similar GUI it is sufficiently different that I have written a new manual for the device.

The document covers the following.

1. Lights and Buttons
2. Gateway Connections
3. Login and Home Screen
4. Change Gateway’s Login Password
5. Telstra’s_Internet User Name and Password
6. Parental_Control
7. Connecting Wi-Fi devices
8. Address Reservation (Static LAN IP Address)
9. Port Forwarding
10. Inbuilt Help
11. Firewall
12. Reset Gateway or Reboot Gateway
13. Turn WI-FI OFF or ON
14. Bridge Mode and Converting WAN port to LAN port
15. Dynamic DNS
16. Register and De-register a DECT handset
17. Telephony (Information, Phone Book and Call Log)
18. Remote WEB Access
19. Wi-Fi MAC Filtering
20. Management (Add extra Gateway Logins)
21. Change Wi-Fi Channel SSID and Password
22. Third Party VDSL Modem /Router
23. DLNA Server and Mass Storage
24. Traffic_Monitor
25. 4G Cellular Backup
26. Diagnostics (Fault Finding)
27. Change IP Address of Gateway
28. Gateway Firmware / Software
29. Gateway’s Time Settings
30. Specifications
31. Known Limitations and Bugs

The document can be found Here

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra Smart Modem DJA0230 manual (Unofficial)

Hey @cf4, great job as always :-)
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

lampet
Level 1: Cadet

Hi cf4, you've gone above and beyond. I want to set up port forwarding, so your a manual will be of great assistance.
SakP

You are a legend ! Spent almost an hour with Telstra Rep with no results. Using your guide, I was able to separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz names and reset my admin account. Thanks a lot !
Artstar

Nice one mate. Thanks to your documentation, it was all the homework I needed to do in knowing that I can proceed to sign up with Telstra and use my Frontier as a VoIP ATA, while I continue to use my Juniper SRX router with the supplied cable modem instead (and switch off the WiFi and other stuff I don't need the Frontier to do). Much appreciated!

immz

Great Job. 

Just a question, does this modem support static routes? Can't seem to find any setting for that.

Thanks

Highlighted

I also could not find any settings for static routing.

Tranquilo
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks @cf4 for putting these unofficial manuals together. I have recently signed up for the NBN with Telstra and received a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (with voice backup) for a fibre to the node service. Are you able to advise how best to set the modem up with an Apple Airport Time Capsule to achieve a local Wi-Fi network created by the Time Capsule (to allow Time machine backups to Time Capsule, apple file sharing etc). I'd prefer to have just this and disable the Smart Modem Wi-Fi if possible. Thanks again
GuyMacD
Level 3: Gumshoe

The link should work. The document is a PDF file and you need a PDF reader. Most browser either have a built in PDF reader. What browser and operating system are you using?

GuyMacD
Level 3: Gumshoe

iPhone 6
I will try from my MacBook Pro
buzzbuzzen
Level 8: Inspector

Thank you for your great work.
javidjs

Where can I find the serial number for this modem

There is a label on the base with the serial number (SN) printed on it. If you log into the gateway and go to Advanced > Gateway one of items displayed is the serial number
ace15

I have received a DJA0230 about a week ago and it will not connect to my computer although all the light say it's online and working, when I troubleshoot, I just get - Windows cannot communicate with the device or resource(primary DNS server). My T-voice handset doesn't work either but says looking for gateway.

I still have my old saegcom 5355 which connects straight away and my T-voice handset pairs up with the modem with no problems.

Telstra says the problem is at my end and I've given up and just continue to use my old 5355. Maybe you can tell me what I can do to get my new modem working.

Thank you.

ace15

Please disregard my reply to you on Saturday as I watched a youtube video and finally fixed up my problem. Thanks for your manual. Anybody else having DNS connection problems please watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6HlAv0GYs&app=desktop
FCW

Your previous contribution (https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/NBN-Smart-modem/td-p/789277) shows pictures of what appear to be two different gateway boxes, one has two analogue phone ports whilst the other has only a single analogue phone port, are these the two different manufacturers of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 product, Technicolor & Arcadyan?

Can you confirm that the 4G fail over backup now supports the Telstra VOIP service?

In your unofficial version of the manual you describe 2 x FXS (analogue phone) ports and that a FXS port now supports 3 REN. Is this the case and does this apply to each FXS port separately

I have posted these questions here as replies to your (https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/NBN-Smart-modem/td-p/789277) article are not allowed.

Both the Arcadyan and the Technicolor Gen two only have one FXS phone port. The pictures compare the Gen 1 which has two FXS ports with the Gen 2 which only has one FXS port.

I am not sure if the Gen 1 supports 3 REN per port or a total of 3 Ren. @Guilty Sparks might know the answer.

The Gen 2 modem support VOIP over backup the Telstra Smart modem Gen one will support VOIP with a firmware update which is currently being deployed.

Each port should be capable of 3 REN (standard Telstra modem/gateway specification requirement)
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
FCW

Thank you cf4 for the very prompt response, as a matter of interest where did you obtain the technical info for your unofficial handbook, I have approached Technicolor/Thomson in the past and they informed me that the products they supply to Telstra are peculiar to Telstra and they cannot provide any information and that I would have to seek that info from Telstra. I have apporached Telstra on several occassions only to have my request knocked back each time.
FCW

Thanks Yastiandrie for the info. After being in the telephone business for over 90 years I expected the Telstra Gateways/Modems to at least support the AXE exchange staus quo being typically 4 REN for the average length 0.4mm cable line of 1.6km but no the early Gateways from Sagemcom & Technicolor only supported 1 REN phone load for ring. At last someone at Telstra has done something about this but I can't imagine how many elderly Australians with typically 3 phones have suffered when cut over to NBN and told they would have to now buy a cordless phone system as the gateway only supported a single standard phone load. The question now is who is responsible for removing the exisiting Telstra phone line to the premises once a user cuts over to NBN? It would be unwise to connect the Smart Modem Gen 1 or 2 to the exisiting house phone wiring without first ensuring that the external telephone line is disconnected.

Secondly sockets are considered customer property and fall under the home owners responsibly. However NBN techs who attend the premise or Telstra techs as part of a professional install can disconnect the secondary sockets.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

metrolex

I have connected a Lacie d2 quadra with replacement 2Tb Seagate NTFS-formatted HDD to my DJA230's front USB port.

In Windows and File Manager the size is pretty much showing up as 0 (2 volumes) but when I look at the HDD through the Gateway management page it can see all ~1.8Gb.

I have enabled SMB 1.0 and did find a VFAT-formatted 8Gb Scandisk could be read by the Mac and PC when connected to the DJA0230 the same way.

I understand that earlier Gateway's had a 2Tb HDD limit so presume capacity is not the issue although the Scandisk has me wondering.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I obtained the specification information from a Telstra employ.

The Modem's USB ports support drives up to 3 TB. I have got a 2 Terabyte NTFS formatted HDD connected to my smart modem. I have never actually checked if the drive space on my PC but I am able to transfer files to and from the hard drive using Windows File explorer. Will check disk size when I get home.
RodentIan

Great work. Thanks. It looks like I can use this document for the Technecolor DJA0231TLS. Any comment on the differences that I should be aware of?
Thanks again

I haven't been able to lay my hands on the a DJA0231 so I don't know if there are any differences in the GUI, but judging from previous versions of Telstra Technicolor modems there is little difference in the GUI between the different models, Telstra T Gateway (TG797), Telstra Max (TG799), Telstra Max II (TG800), Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130) and the Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230).

There is a difference in physical layout and what the lights mean on some of the models. For description of what the lights mean on the Smart Modem Gen 2 see link below.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/News-Feed/What-do-the-lights-on-your-Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now