CrowdSupport®
MaxSophie
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( ARCADYAN) blocking SMB

My Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( ARCADYAN) Firewall appears to be blocking internal SMB (port 445) packets between the WiFi and Wired networks.

Gateway is Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 Firmware 0.07.05r

I have a new Synology NAS connected to the gateway via Ethernet. There is also a Windows 10 (Pro 1903) laptop connected via ethernet.
These 2 boxes happily connect for SMB access to the NAS.

I have another 2 Wireless laptops (Win 10 as well) but they cannot connect via SMB (SMB1 is disabled on Win10, NAS set for SMB2/3) and port 445 is blocked to the NAS (Windows firewall disabled, port tested via Powershell ' test-netconnection <NAS IP address> -port 445' )

If I connect the non-working laptops via ethernet – SMB and the port test work!

If I disable the Gateway Firewall and stay on the wireless network – SMB and the port test also work.

The Gateway Firewall is normally set to 'Defense Strength' Normal.

It's as if the Gateway firewall is isolating SMB traffic between the Wifi and Wired networks (I've confirmed I'm on the normal 5GHz wireless network, not the guest network).

(The wireless laptops however can happily SMB connect to the wired laptop – it's just the wired Synology NAS they can't connect to via SMB)

• Anyone seen any similar?
  • Is there anyway to view the Gateway Firewall log files to confirm this is where the SMB traffic/packets are being dropped?

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
33 REPLIES 33
wally231
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( ARCADYAN) blocking SMB

MaxSophie

Coming back to test this further after being away...

If I attempt a SMB connection from a wireless MAC to a wired NAS:

With Gateway Firewall ON at either Normal or Low setting: SMB connection fails.

With Gateway Firewall OFF: SMB connection success

If I then disconnect SMB share, turn Firewall ON and try SMB connection again - it works, but then disconnects after several minutes, and can't be reconnected.

It's as if Firewall initially allows SMB wireless/wired connection, but then over time determines it shouldn't be allowed and drops/blocks the connection.

There's nothing in the normal Gateway log display - hence I'm trying to see the actual Firewall logs to see why it's dropping/blocking the connection.

Anyone figured out how to view the firewall log files?

Thanks.

dauser
Level 8: Inspector

Have you tried turning off band steering? If you see a 2.4 and 5 network, then steering is off. If you only see the one network for your home (not guest), then steering is on.

Have you tried turning off IPV6?

I had issues with some MAC O/S devices and SMB which was related to Link-local only (TCP/IP).

Also, 445 was used for WannaCry, so there might be some element of security you have already installed but maybe overlooked it running interference.

https://www.backup-utility.com/anti-ransomware/how-to-block-port-445-in-windows-3889.html

MaxSophie

Thanks for the suggestions.

Same issue with band-steering turned off or on, and same issue with IPV6 turned off or on at the router level.

I'm aware of the WannaCry issues with 445 and SMB1.  The Windows machines are using SMB2/3 and the issue goes away on both the Mac and Windows machines if I either:

a) connect them via a wired connection (same network as the NAS) or

b) turn gateway firewall off

It keeps pointing to the Gateway Firewall isolating SMB traffic between wired and wireless networks after a certain time.

I'm hesitant to ring Telstra support to discuss/log this issue, as it's not related to Internet access specifically, so I feel like I'm going to spend lots of time getting nowhere - hence looking for crowd-support for someone who may have figured out how to get the firewall logs.

pmax9999

I just wanted to let you know that I have the same issue.  When my laptop is connected via ethernet I can connect to the NAS, but not via WiFi UNLESS I disable the Router's firewall first.

While it is not a solution, my workaround is to re-purpose an old router as an alternative WiFi access point to the network, allowing me WiFi access to the NAS without issue.

I too am reluctant to contact Telstra support.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If enough people contact Telstra support the problem might get fixed in a future firmware update. You will probably get redirected to platinum support but because it is a Telstra equipment fault the fee should be waived. This problem should have been picked up in testing before modem was released but now the only way Telstra will becomes aware off  this type of fault is through customers reporting a fault.

john_99
Level 2: Rookie

I received my Arcadyan LH1000 during the weekend.

I used ftp to transfer files between two linux boxes, one wired, the other wifi.  I was impressed by the file transfer jumping from 11MBps to 28MBps but then noticed that after a transfer I lost ftp & ssh access to the box on wifi.

Hours later I realized it was the new Modem.  It was doing some sort of internal dos protection. Some time later I had proved that only by switching the firewall off could stop it so I came here and read the two threads on the blocking.

Then I tried something stupid.  I disabled the firewall, proved again that everything worked with it off.   Then back on with Normal, DoS protection, and Answer Internet ping ticked and a DMZ set up for 10.0.0.9 (I use the old 10 addressing from my previous modem).

NO BLOCKING !!!!

Since then I've isolated it down to two surprising ticks.  Here's the process (do both steps please):

1.  Turn the firewall off & prove that everything works in that mode

2.  Enable the firewall but with DoS protection and Answer Internet ping ticked

That's it - setting DoS protection on seems to cause the firewall between wired and wifi to correctly deal with local traffic.

Hope it works for others.

john_99

No.  Don't waste your time.  This and another experiment failed after a while.

It seems that the only option is to wait for a fix.

john_99

Just a little more information.

I have reported this as a fault.  My report was that
- there appears to be a (mistaken) rate limiting / dos protection effect between the physical ports & the wifi network on the modem's lan.
- for me the rate limiting cuts in when I run an ftp transfer from a device on phy0 to a device on wifi

- that transfer is fine but after it I can't ping, ssh, or ftp from that physical port to the wifi device

- but if i move my cable to one of the other 3 phy ports I can immediately start again (so its physical port linked (not mac or ip linked))
- it shuts me out on that port for about 5 minutes then it works again.

- the only way to stop this happening seems to be to switch the modem's firewall to disabled but I'm not comfortable doing that for an nbn connection.

If tech support doesn't call me in a few days I'll switch back to the old ugly router because it affects me often enough to be frustrating.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for these details john_99. We would need a technician to check the modem and line with you. Please let us know if you have not received a call in regards to this. They can also be contacted on 133 933 if you wish to see if this can be resolved now.

Sorry for any frustration caused. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MaxSophie

John_99 - thanks heaps for doing the extract diagnosis work.

For kicks I tried the DOS and Answer Internet Ping anyone, and same issue - didn't fix it.

I've been looking for work-arounds, and I've found another device (Raspberry Pi) has issues with SMB, but it works ok if I use NFS to access the NAS.  I haven't found an alternative to SMB for the Windows based devices.

Unfortunately I don't have another router to fall back to.

MaxSophie

Iain,

I haven't gone through and logged a call on this - but I have a repeatable scenario which shows it is related to the Arcadyan firewall and it's handling of particular traffic between Ethernet and Wifi internal networks.

For me the use of SMB file shares activates the issue.  'Resolved' by switching off the firewall, or plugging into Ethernet.

Is there a way to bypass the usual help-desk which are mainly focused on helping us restore Internet connectivity - this issue is purely internal networks and related to the Arcadyan internal functions.

Thanks.

Level 22: Superhuman

From memory this is a know but that will be fixed in a future firmware update. There isn't a team you can directly call to speak to about these issues.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

MaxSophie

Thanks 343GS - I assume there's not a public list of known-issues we can refer to?

There isn't unfortunately.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
From memory this is a know but that will be fixed in a future firmware update. There isn't a team you can directly call to speak to about these issues.

Update to my previous post, this wasn't known issue. I've reported the issue and its been sent off to be tested and evaluated. Once its been confirmed as an issue a fix will be applied in a future firmware update.

MaxSophie

Many thanks for taking the time to do that.

Obviously if they need any further tech details re scenarios, I'm happy to assist.

Rossgo

I'm having the same issue - Can't transfer large files from my Laptop to my NAS .

I don't want to turn my firewall off. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-0x8003003B-Error-Large-Fi...

So looking at this there are no solutions .

Would it be better to get Telsta to swap out the modem with a Technicolor DJA0231?

MaxSophie

I can't say if a Technicolour would help/work.

I'm just hoping Telstra have been able to replicate and working on a fix.

Though we don't get to see much visibility as to what's being worked on or 'known defects'.

MaxSophie

FYI, my Gateway was updated to firmware 0.08.06r the other day.

Unfortunately the issue still exists.

Hopefully it has been replicated by whoever is responsible for firmware updates and will be on the update list soon, because it's making the gateway unusable within the home network.

marshallarts

Hello all.  Very interested to find this thread.  I am also seeing this problem, but only on a Windows 7 laptop, and it seems to be only intermittent.  Another laptop running Windows 10 is fine.  But it is still very irritating.  My modem/router is on firmware 07.05r.  I tried the DoS and Internet Ping settings as above, but it is not yet clear if they have fixed the problem.

Another known problem with the LH1000 is that it does not support a thing called NAT Loopback - doesn't even have a setting for it.  No NAT Loopback means that if a computer on the local network tries to connect to a domain name that gets resolved back to the router's own public IP address, connection will fail.  This affects some home automation software.  I have a few home automation devices, and some of the software is 3rd party and some written by me.  I have been able to tweak my own software but cannot do it with the 3rd-party stuff of course.  There are ways around it, but again, it's just very irritating when our old cable modem/router just worked.  I have seen posts somewhere suggesting this one may be fixed in a future firmware upgrade, so we can but hope I guess.  I too think it would be a complete waste of time trying to talk to Telstra about any of this.

MaxSophie

@343GuiltySpark wrote:

@343GuiltySpark wrote:

Update to my previous post, this wasn't known issue. I've reported the issue and its been sent off to be tested and evaluated. Once its been confirmed as an issue a fix will be applied in a future firmware update.

@343GuiltySpark  you seem to be "in-the-know" more than us.  Are you able to check if they've replicated the issue and if it's on the path for resolution ?

Thanks.

From what I can tell its on the path to resolution in a future firmware update.

marshallarts

I've just observed another peculiarity with this device - after doing a reboot in the hope that it might encourage it to update its firmware (it didn't), the home page for the router now shows that WiFi is OFF!  It is definitely well and truly ON, so I don't know what that is about.  When I log in and go to the WiFi pages, both radio bands have green indicators, but on the network map page, the line to the WiFi device list is a dotted line (see below), which also seems to suggest it thinks something is not right at some level.  I would expect a solid line, because all my devices are connected and working just fine.  Not very impressed with this device at all.screenshot.png

rjsy2k

Hi all,

same issue for me just migrated to NBN & now have this modem.

I'm unable to connect to my Diskstation DS110j from two Windows 10 Laptops via WIFI.

Trie enabling the two options below:

DoS protection
Answer Internet ping
Seemed to work for a while but ha s stopped working now.

Only option I have is disabling the Firewall which isn't ideal.Smiley Sad

Support Team
Support Team

Hi rjsy2K, in this instance and to discuss what may be the best option to resolve this, our NBN Assurance Team can be contacted directly via 1800 834 273 - Option -4 and this team will be able to discuss this in more detail and look at an alternative for you to connect as wanted.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

rjsy2k

I've tried changing the Firewall setting to "Low".

This seems to be working for me as I am now able to map to the Disk Station via WIFI.

Not sure is "low" is much  better than "off", but it's something.

Can anyone else confirm it works for them?

MaxSophie

Previously when I've been doing debug work a "Low" firewall setting still didn't allow wireless SMB connectivity to my NAS.

However, if I turned the router firewall "off", and then switched it back to "Low" (or Normal) it would work for a small amount of time before it started blocking the wireless SMB traffic to the NAS again.

This leads me to think the router is treating the wireless SMB traffic as something bad and starts to block it.  Wired SMB traffic still goes through.

Highlighted
MaxSophie

FYI - the dotted line from the router to the Wi-Fi devices is normal behaviour.  I guess it's meant to represent it's a wireless connection.

keano159

Is there any progress/updates on this? I'm experiencing the same issue described with the only workaround being to disable the firewall which is not ideal. I have been checking the router logs for a firmware update but seems the latest was pushed on 23/08/2019 (Firmware LH1000_0.08.06)

jasonfly

Wow - been struggling with this myself also for the last few months after switching to NBN and the Telstra Arcadyan LH1000 that came along with it. Have a WD Mycloud device Ethernet attached and it's been driving me crazy - my Xbox and other Ethernet devices see it fine - and even the mobile phone app WD provide could see it, but no WiFi connected PC's could connect. Been spinning my wheels on it, and gave up. Essentially copying files via USB dongle to my phone, then from the phone app, uploading to the WD device. A painful workaround.

Now, strangely - it's started working about 2 days ago, without any interaction from me. I was away for about 3 weeks and came back and it's working. The firmware is: 0.08.06r - though I hadn't noted its version in the past, so I don't know if there has been a recent update. Hopefully if you have this firmware version it might now be working?

jasonfly

Urgh - scratch that - stopped working.. i have no idea why it was fine for a few days, drive mapped successfully, and now it's stopped again. aarrrghhhhh.

MaxSophie

@jasonfly wrote:

Urgh - scratch that - stopped working.. i have no idea why it was fine for a few days, drive mapped successfully, and now it's stopped again. aarrrghhhhh.

It is still a strange one.  It's almost as if there needs to be a certain amount of traffic before the Gateway FIrewall decides to start to block the wifi traffic.

My firmware has been 0.08.06r for awhile and still a problem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now