CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
marshallarts
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( ARCADYAN) blocking SMB

Thanks, thought that was the case. I've had mine for over 4 months now and it is still on the 07.05r version that it had when it arrived. So what triggers this "automatic" upgrade process is a bit beyond me. The whole thing is very frustrating.

Level 24: Supreme Being

You should have received at least one update in that time. Are you leaving modem on overnight? Is it working on the main link and not 4G backup? If you are not receiving backups and modem is left on overnight you might be a faulty modem. Telstra high level support can force a firmware update but they will only do this in exceptional circumstances.

marshallarts

The modem stays on 24/7. I have never seen it switch to the 4G backup.

I'm not sure I want to waste more of my time trying to talk to a Telstra support person in some other country, who doesn't have a clue what I am talking about.

One thing you could try is a factory reset and if you have backed up the settings don't restore the settings for at least 24 hours. The only other modem that used to have the ability to backup its settings (the Sagemcom F@st5355) sometimes wouldn't install a firmware update until it was factory reset  and left for at least 24 hours without restoring the modem's backup.\ config file.

marshallarts

Well I might try that sometime, if I can find a time when it would not be too disruptive.  Honestly, the more I hear about this device, the lower my opinion of it sinks.  It sounds like the code was written as an exercise by a first-year student in programming.  The most questionable thing to me is that even after several upgrades, we still have firmware with a zero before the decimal point - in my experience (just over 50 years in software development) that pretty much always indicates pre-release or beta level software.  I wonder when we are we going to see "real" firmware for this box?  Telstra really needs to get its (or somebody's) act together and sort this out.

Nerd123
Level 1: Cadet

I'm on 0.09.11r - SMB between wired and wireless LAN segments is still not working.

This is pathetic that since several months Telstra cannot make bridge functionality right.

MaxSophie

@cf4 wrote:

There is currently a firmware update (0.09.11r) for this modem being pushed out that includes a fix for this problem. The firmware version of the modem is displayed on LHS of modem's log in screen.

cf4, not sure if you saw/heard something specifically around the firmware upgrade fixing the SMB share block between wired/wireless networks, but my modem upgraded the other day to v0.09.11r - and the problems still exists.

I rebooted my router, NAS and laptop to ensure everything was reset - and an attempt to access a SMB share from a wireless Mac laptop to the NAS failed.  If I disable the router firewall it works.  ie same issue as before.

I'll do some more testing over the next few days, but looks like nothing's changed.

So, interested if there was a specific list of issues fixed in this firmware upgrade.

Edit: Just tested connecting the Macbook with an Ethernet cable (wifi turned off) and the SMB share works with the firewall still turned on.  So, it's still the same problem.

This was in the list of problems that was supposed to be fixed by the firmware update. There were several other things that were supposed to be fixed by the update but wefe not or were only partialy fixed. I don't think Telstra  is testing there products and updates any more. There have been several firmware updates recently that did not fix previous bugs but actualy created new bugs.

olo

For some reason, I didn't have smb problems until last week. After power surge, once all my devices came back online, smb timeouts are intermittent. Sometimes I can access the shares over WIFI sometimes the connection times out, mostly from amazon Fire TV. Direct ethernet connections are not affected at all, only WiFi.

After 2 days of trying all possible solutions, I ended up disabling the firewall on the modem. To be honest I'm not sure how bad it is to tun it the modem without it. 

Is there a way to connect the phone without telstra modem? I wanted to use my Airport Extreme but after setting the telstra modem to "bridge" it also disables the phone connection on it.

firmware version 0.09.11r

is there a list of firmware updates with release notes for them?

If your NBN connection is not FTTN or FTTB you can connect the airport directly to NBN equipment and connect Telstra modem"s WAN port to airports Ethernet port and phone should work.

The unofficial manual located at this post has a list of firmware updates.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

olo

thank you. It never crossed my mind to connect them in reverse order like that.

marshallarts

@cf4 wrote:

You should have received at least one update in that time.

Another thought on firmware upgrades, or in my case the lack of them:  I run several home automation devices, which means there are always some devices connected to the network.  Could this be a reason why it doesn't do firmware upgrades?  Mine still hasn't, after being in service for nearly 6 months.  I'm a bit reluctant to return it to factory settings as has been suggested, but it might be feasible to disconnect all devices for a night or two.

I have several devices connected to my modem and that hasn't prevented the modem updating.

Suggest you check the log for any TR069 errors (Go to Advanced > log). To show only TR069 events untick all and then remove all the ticks from all the columns except TR069. Save the file and open in notepad and do search for "Start agent software check"

Below is the events during a software update. First event is at the bottom.

10.12.2019 13:33:57 TR069: Agent software is up-to-date.
10.12.2019 13:33:57 TR069: Start agent software check
10.12.2019 13:33:56 TR069: Session end.
10.12.2019 13:33:56 TR069: Sending SetParameterValuesResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:56 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_THOR.Platform.Enabled success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received SetParameterValues 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Sending GetParameterValuesResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received GetParameterValues 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received GetParameterValues 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Sending DownloadResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received Download 
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Sending SetParameterValuesResponse
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Got DeploySoftwareNow
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Got agent software settings. Model:WE410443B-TA SWVersion:2.02.58_01 EligibleSWVersion: URL:http://fwstore.bdms.telstra.net/Arcadyan_LH1000_Boosters_2.02.58_01/WE410443B-TA_2.02.58_01_aldk_uImage_web
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.URL success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.EligibleSoftwareVersion success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.EligibleModel success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.Controller.DeploySoftwareNow success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.EligibleHardwareVersion success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.FileSize success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Set Device.Services.X_TELSTRA_MultiAP.AgentSoftwareImages.1.SoftwareVersion success.
10.12.2019 13:33:55 TR069: Received SetParameterValues 

marshallarts

Thanks for the suggestion.  My log seems to contain more or less the same sequence of events every day - about 30 of them.  But I saved the contents to a text file and did some searches, and the word "software" does not occur anywhere, and neither does the word "download".  My log goes back to late October 2019.  This suggests to me that no software check is ever being done.  So it's interesting, but I am still none the wiser.

Suggest you contact support and request they push a firmware update to your modem. There was a bug in the very early firmware versions that stopped modems automatically updateing. Support might refer you to platinum support but the fee should be waived as the fault is due to faulty Telstra equipment.

marshallarts

OK, I might do that when I have a couple of hours of my life to waste.  I'm definitely not prepared to pay for anything, for the reason you state.  I did try an online chat a week or so ago, but it was fairly clear that the person I was dealing with didn't really have a clue about this.  That's the real problem - finding someone in Telstra who DOES have a clue!  And it would be nice to find someone who was prepared to own this problem, and see it through to resolution, but that just doesn't seem to happen.  Thanks for your help with this.

marshallarts

Well I tried this, initiated via online chat.  As you suggested they might, they said I needed to talk to platinum support, and booked a callback for 1:30pm today.  But surprise surprise, the call never came - or it hasn't yet, at 4pm.  So much for "Platinum Support".  What a joke.  It would be funny if it wasn't so utterly infuriating.  It's pretty obvious that Telstra couldn't care less.  I'm out of contract, so I think it's time to start the search for another provider.

Highlighted
Nerd123

I made a claim, asking Telstra to take this router back at their expense + complaining that I needed to buy my own router, to be able to use their service, as their router is clearly broken and not fully usable. Telstra router comes free of charge, but if you would terminate the service you need to pay $216 for it. What I got is exactly this, so $216 credit on my account. So worst case scenario, if I will be terminating the service, I do not need to pay for this crap. If I will use the service, I'm $216 on plus. You should do the same, maybe if they start paying $216 credit to few customers, some dummy developer will get a kick to finally implement this super complex functionality like network bridge between LAN segments.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now