CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan) - URL filter not working

Hi Guys,

Another one to add to the list of complaints about the Arcadyan LH1000 (firmware rev: 0.09.11r). I'm trying to set up URL filtering, (as I had with my previous Netgear Cable modem), but thinks don't work as expected.

I'm trying to block Youtube - mainly to stop the kids from wasting time watching vacuous clowns and their pointless vids - but when I add "youtube.com" and "youtu.be" to the list of URL filters, youtube is still accessible.

Unless a user actually types in the EXACT urls as added to the filters, they can still get in - for example, if they follow a link to a specific video, it will get through to youtube.

Perhaps this is the way it's supposed to work - but logically (to me at least) it should block access attempts that contain "youtube.com" or "youtu.be" anywhere in the url. That's the way my lovely old Netgear used to work.

There's no manual, or documentation that I can find to describe the way the url filtering works, so if anyone can make any suggestions, that would be great.

The current firmware needs a good kick up the pants imo. If I had any coding ability, I'd

offer my services, but unfortunately you'd be better off asking the cat...

Cheers,

Mike.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan) - URL filter not working

I agree the URL filtering on the Smart modem is not working. I can't get it to block any sites.

You could use the online parental controls in Telstra my account. The only problem with using the online parental controls is that they can be bypassed by using a custom DNS on the device or in the modem.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan) - URL filter not working

How do we go about escalating this to Telstra?

I know (from personal experience) actually calling tech support about issues like this, is pretty much a waste of time...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more