CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
D-G
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Model: LH1000) - Parental Controls

Hi All,

Recently connected to NBN. Nice connection speeds.

Trying to set up Parental Controls for Time Restrictions for connected devices. Every time I list a device's MAC Address with time restrictions into the list, the modem fails to follow the requested time restrictions. For example, if a connected device is allowed internet access between 7am & 11pm, the modem doesn't open internet access until 3pm. My first thought that this error was caused by the set TimeZone for Perth (GMT +8hrs). There was no difference after zero-ing the TimeZone to GMT +0.

When I then remove this time restriction, the device then connects without issue.

I'm now thinking of a possible firmware issue with the modem.

Does anyone else have a similar issue? Does anyone know of a solution please?

Regards to all.....

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Model: LH1000) - Parental Controls

There has been at least one other post with the same issue. There is firmware update that should be released shortly that might fix the problem.

You could try setting the restrictions in GMT time. For example to sett access between 8.00am and 11pm set to 00.00 am to 3.00 pm

mrSneezy
Level 3: Gumshoe

I too was trying to use local time since the modem HAS a setting for AU time zones, and got the wrong results (and quickly reported by my young son).
So it seems this modem (on firmware 0.05.04r) just like the previous Gateway Max uses GMT for access filtering schedules.
IE to get from 1030PM to 630AM I had to Block from 1200 to 2000 on the Gen 2 LH1000 parental control.

While I understand that a router needs to use GMT for things on the WAN side network (update schedules, error reporting etc) it's very 'last century' as a user to have to do a time conversion manually on the LAN side GUI. It's even more complicated when the GMT period you want to use crosses the new day, then the GUI reports the start time is greater than the end time...
Sneezy
mrSneezy

Addendum to my post above.
A few days ago my son complained about the internet time out again (too early) so I did some admin on his controls. I don't know why, but now it seems the controls are using local time and not GMT.
I ended up changing them all over to local I.E. Allow - 07:00 to 22:30.
So not sure about my previous post, did something change on the router or was I just confused somehow because of the way the previous router worked.
No matter now....
Sneezy

A firmware for the modem has just been released (06.07r). It might have fixed the problem of parental controls not using local time. Can check firmware at Advanced > Info Summary

mrSneezy

We're still on 0.05.04r, so will wait and see.

Sneezy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more