USB
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - another Arcadyan Problem - how to get it escallated

Answered

I've been assisting a friend with his new NBN install in his business premises.  He was supplied a new Arcadyan LH1000.  From looking in these forums it seems it has problems well here are some more, this unit needs a major Firmware overhaul.

We initially installed and it set up OK, but as soon as we tried to customise the settings the modems update page would freeze.  Eventually, we got to accept some changes and it worked Ok for a few minutes but started banning random websites, we found the parental controll were on by default.  So we turned it off - the modem froze again.   Several attempts and reboots Ok it works but it would randomly freeze and the net would drop, we would power cycle it and it was Ok again for about 10 mins.

Telstra support eventually agreed it must be faulty - and sent a replacement.

Unfortunately, we got another of these Lemons another Arcadyan LH1000

Yes it also has problems.

I've identified a few things that seem to cause it problems

1: any device that tried to use UPnP causes the Moden to Freeze

2: Turning off UPnP causes the Modem to Freeze

3: Turning the SAMBA Server OFF  - causes the Modem to Freeze

4: changing the WiFi SSID seems to make WiFi unstable

I spent several hours online with Telstra Support - but they just can't handle it when you have technical skills.  I wanted to report my findings so Telstra could follow it up.  I just gave up.

In the end, I had a Telstra Gateway Max (Technicolor) in my office so I went home and got it installed it and now the business is all Fine.

But we now have two Arcadyan LH1000 with no use for them, at least until a fix for them is available.

I've attempted to leave an Arcadyan LH1000 installed for a day at my house, of course, it also freezes.  I was hoping a new firmware would come down...  So will try event few days just in case Until I give up...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
USB
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - another Arcadyan Problem - how to get it escallated

I was contacted directly by support and a new firmware flash fixed the issue for me
Mkrtich
Level 9: Captain
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - another Arcadyan Problem - how to get it escallated

I don't think there is any manual way of upgrading the Router from the user end or the user forcing it to occur from the Telstra Network Control Centre.

The Router Menu - Advanced Settings/Management/System Reset/Restart Device may help to get over the issue cf4 referenced in his response to you. I assume it is the equivalent of a Power Down and Power Up scenario - not sure. If you have done a lot of custom settings, as a precaution you may wish to Save these Settings to a File from the same screen before you Reset but one would not expect a Reset to alter them. After that, if Firmware has not upgraded in Advanced Settings/Global Information, suggest you contact Telstra and ask them if they can manually activate it per USB's experience above which seemed to work for USB. If Telstra is unable to successfully do this, ask them for next step remediation and if a replacement Router would fix your issue.

Shellock's post above indicates that 5000 Routers nightly are being done automatically, so it may take some time before the existing population of Routers are covered. Given that 8 million NBN customers will exist when the network is complete and Telstra would have the significant share of these, automatic updates to the target Routers that require firmware updates may take some time to rollout.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
48 REPLIES 48
Level 24: Supreme Being

Has the modem been updated to the latest firmware 06.07r? The new firmware has just been released and fixes several issues with the modem. Can check firmware by logging into modem and going to Advanced > Info Summary
Dazzy

I need to put my hand up as well.  I spoke to someone via the chat last night and they wanted to send out a NBN tech.  Told them not to bother as it's the modem.  I've put the Gen 1 modem in and it has not had a problem.  

Mkrtich

USB and others - I had some recent experience with my son's Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 Variant of the Technicolor DJA0231 which leads me to believe it has some design issues that may be fixed by firmware updates as suggested by cf4 or are hardware related. Gen 2 details as follows - Boot Version 1.038-116.118, Firmware Version 0.05.04r and Hardware Version 1.0 came up with faulty operation after a few days - no LAN ports, no WAN port, Internet worked through 4G only, unable to alter User Log-In or SSID ( 3 Telstra Call Center Agents, who may have failed Network Security 101, advised that was not possible with this modem - I got both functions to work after Factory Defaulting the unit). Given the faulty operation, it may be difficult to update the Gen2 firmware under these circumstances and I did not try to do that. Telstra admitted the Gen2 was faulty and replaced it with the Technicolor DJA0231TLS which has not failed to date - 7 days of operation so far. Until the problem is fixed by Arcadyan, I would recommend that you ask for the Techniclor DJA0231TLS as the replacement modem. Interestingly, the box label for the Arcadyan which is shipped by Telstra's Distribution Contractor called Brightstar, states that it is a Technicolor Product , suggesting that the French company Technicolor SA has subcontracted manufacture of the modem to the Taiwanese company Arcadyan. Not sure if factual or due to printing error on box by Brightstar.
A lot of the anxiety, frustration and wasted hours with these units could be avoided if Telstra published an official User Guide for their Modems which would assist users rather than hinder them with the absence of same. I have found the Informal User Manual written by cf4 very useful and thank you for spending the time to outline its capabilities. Well done. Cheers

Mkrtich

cf4 - not sure if you automatically get notifications of responses to threads you have previously participated in, so I thought I would make you aware of my response to USB within the original thread this afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to document your experiences with the predecessor of the DJA0231, the DJA0230, your helpful advice to others and writing an Unofficial User Manual. 

There are some minor differences in Menu structures between these devices and I assume that these differences may be due to product improvements and development. All the best. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Mkrtich - The current firmware 06.07r is being rolled out for the Arcadyan modem, so if modems are left connected over night, they should receive the update over the coming days. Currently, approximately 5 thousand modems are getting the update each night.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mkrtich

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the scope of the task, admire the automated technology and the effort Telstra has to undertake to maintain the integrity of their network. Just curious - Is the TR-069 based auto firmware update effective on fully operational modems via cable WAN port only or can it be conducted via the 4G WAN link if the modem is faulty but the 4G function is still functioning. Cheers

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

While it is possible for the updates to be sent via the 4G connection, I am not sure if the automated roll out will push to modems running on the back-up or if the modems connected via their fixed network connections will be prioritised over the ones using 4G.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

JM6
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I'm having problems with the FTTN Arcadyan LH 1000 Gen 2 Smart Modem as well.
Last week I moved to a new home within the same postcode.
At the old place I had FTTN, 46 mbps download speed pretty much all day every day, no dropouts.

I wasn't expecting a new modem when I moved, as I was currently happily using a Technicolor Gen 1 Smart Modem, but Telstra sent out a new Acradyan anyway.
Yes, it worked straight out of the box, but has been plagued by reboots, dropouts and pathetic speeds and sometimes,no connectivity despite all LED's being in the green.
4G backup took several minutes to kick in and was very slow.
Download speeds are sometimes as low as 1mb and uploads often don't even register, whilst doing a speed check.
Have spoken to 3 different Telstra support techs in the last few days. They do try, but really aren't very sharp or innovative when it comes to thinking outside the box.
Only one help tech has deviated from the standard helpdesk script: "is your modem plugged in ?" "what color are the lights" etc.
They did their line checks etc, but could offer no solution other than putting a "stability" option on the line, which seems to have slowed the modem even more. Other option is replacing the modem.

After the second Tech call, I replaced the new Arcadyan with my old Technicolor Gen 1.
Speeds magically went to about 24 mbps DL / 8 mbps UL and have remained stable, with no reboots or downtime.
But I am still not getting the speed I am paying for 50 mbps standard plus plan.
The Telstra help tech guy agreed today to send out a new modem, but I have my doubts it will be any good. Arcadyan modem is crap.
There are numerous threads on the web about the failings of this Arcadyan Smart Modem.
Why do Telstra persist in sending out a sub-standard product like this modem to its customers ?

A further annoyance was that the first 2 techs I spoke top assured me they were sending me a SMS/Email link to get directly in touch with them again if the modem issue persisted.
Surprise surprise, no contact links ever came through to me, except for the Tech today, who ensured that the link was actually sent to my phone.

I groan out loud in frustration when faced with dealing with Telstra, I know it will be a long slog and I will probably end up bashing my head against the wall, losing hours and hours on the phone, repeating the same info to different operators.
I imagine the other Telcos are no better at dealing with customers.

It really shouldn't be this hard, honestly. Should it ??????

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @JM6

Apologies for any inconvenience you're experiencing with your service.

The first thing to do if you or anyone you know has issues with our service is to check the location here

Is your address affected by a disruption?

If no disruptions are listed, my advice would be to login here & complete the troubleshooting as it may help fix any issues you're currently experiencing, but also helps speed up the fault process if you need to call our fault team on 1800 834 273. 

receive a reference number that can be quoted to our tech staff if the troubleshooting doesn't resolve. If they're unable to resolve over the phone, they may monitor the connection or arrange a tech appointment. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

JM6

Hi Shannon,
Every step you noted, I did sequentially.
I have spoken to 3 techs and am now waiting on a new Modem.
If it is another Arcadyan modem I don't hold high hopes of it working properly.

As far as the Telstra fault check site goes, it never ever shows anything, even when there are obvious connection issues in my area.
The old Telstra fault checking site was much better, it showed proposed as well as real time outages.
I suspect the new fault check web-site deliberately does not show the Telstra network outages, call me cynical.
My speed is still sitting on 22-24mbps download and seems to be throttled, as it never goes above those numbers. I am supposed to be on the boosted 50mbps plan.
The Techs I speak to in Manila or India are pretty useless to be honest.
Support Team
Support Team

Ok I understand, thank you for your reply. Please let me know how this goes when you receive the new modem.

Thank you.
- Ryan

The maximum speed a FTTN connection is capable off is dependent on distance from Node and the condition of the cable. If you are over 1 Km from the Node in cable distance then 24 Mbps is all your link is capable off. A line fault would also reduce the speed. The stability profile that has been applied would further reduce the maximum speed. Now that you know the new modem was causing the fault I would request that the stability profile be removed.

Could you post your line stats which are located here in the DJA0230 modem Advanced > Broadband? Thee will show the maximum and actual speed of the link. If actual speed is much lower than maximum speed it would indicate speed boost has not been applied to your connection.

JM6

Thanks for your reply cf4.
The first Telstra tech I spoke to did apply a stability profile, which did indeed drop the speed to almost nothing, when I was first using the new Gen 2 Arcadyan modem.
Speeds now remain the same whether using both channels of wifi or Ethernet connections.
I switched back to my older Gen 1 Technicolor modem a few days ago and am getting these stats:

Maximum Line rate
8.48 Mbps 23.17 Mbps
Line Rate
8.48 Mbps 21.56 Mbps
Data Transferred
2733.48 MBytes 1623.53 MBytes
Output Power
6.6 dBm 14.5 dBm
Line Attenuation
8.1, 42.0, 65.0 dB 20.6, 53.6, 78.5 dB
Noise Margin
12.4 dB 13.1 dB
DSL Standard
VDSL2
Max Bandwidth Down
23.2Mbps
Max Bandwidth Up
8.48Mbps

I have logged in to Telstra and used the Telstra self diagnostic web page which eventually prompts with a message:
"You are not receiving the speed the line is capable of": or something to that effect ....

I have called the 1800 number listed on that message, but all three techs ran the same tests and seem nonplussed.
The line is capable of higher speeds, as there was one single day when using the new modem that download speeds ran at about 36 mbps all day/night.

With those attenuation figures your link maximum speed should be much greater. My link has a attenuation of 87db compared to your 78 db and my maximum link speed is 37 Mbps. The stability profile has increased the SNR margin from a normal 6 db to 13 db which account for some of the reduced speed. Getting stability profile removed would increase the speed. Probably best to wait until you receive new modem before requesting removal of stability profile.

JM6

Thanks cf4.
When I speak to the Techs again I will ask about the current stability profile being removed.
I'm waiting now to receive a replacement Gen 2 modem and then send the faulty one back.
Not sure where the nearest NBN node is located, but I will attempt to find it to see how far my copper is running till it gets to the node street box.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Cannibal

My Arcadyan has the latest firmware but it shows no improvement and still drops out when streaming  via UPNp. There appears to be no solution.

When you say streaming via UPNP do you mean streaming from a local network drive? If streaming from the internet there might be a problem with the internet connection. Do any of the lights on modem change state when the drop outs occur?
Highlighted
Cannibal

I'm streaming Tidal via Audirvana into my HiFi. Difficult to answer your last question as the modem reboots when there is a problem, thereby changing all of the lights. I've only ever looked at it once the problem has occurred.

The modem should not be frequently rebooting. You might have a faulty modem. Have you contacted support.
Cannibal

Not as yet. I read on another thread that this particular model of modem had problems with UPNP and that it was expected that a firmware update would fix this. That was with Ver 5.04 and 6.07 has not fixed this. It's clear that I am not alone in experiencing this particular problem but whether it is a faulty batch or firmware is unclear. I will contact Support next week. As to frequency of rebooting, last night I streamed for about 3 hours, during which the modem rebooted twice.

That's two reboots to many over a three hour period. I have seen plenty of post were device have not been able to maintain a connection with the modems running the old software but not many were the modem keeps rebooting. Keep a record of reboots for when you contact support.
Cannibal

Thanks, will do.
USB
Accepted Solution

I was contacted directly by support and a new firmware flash fixed the issue for me
Mkrtich

For the record only - Correction to previous incorrect statement below regarding manufacturers of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 -- " Interestingly, the box label for the Arcadyan which is shipped by Telstra's Distribution Contractor called Brightstar, states that it is a Technicolor Product , suggesting that the French company Technicolor SA has subcontracted manufacture of the modem to the Taiwanese company Arcadyan. Not sure if factual or due to printing error on box by Brightstar."

We had the box bottoms mixed up - the Telstra Gen 2 DJA0231 is manufactured by Technicolor and the Telstra Gen 2 LH1000 is manufactured by Arcadyan.
Johnny_B
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Guys I recently received my Telstra Gen 2 LH1000 is manufactured by Arcadyan and reading your feed my modem is still on firmware Ver 5.04, not 6.07. My experience with previous modem routers is you can upgrade the firmware yourself however this Telstra modem there doesn't seem to be a function to do this. Do you have to contact Telstra? I seem to be having the problem usually every 2 or 3 days first thing in the morning there is no Internet, I check the lights and they are all on and flashing correctly. I have to reboot the smart modem and all comes good again. So I'm hoping the new firmware will fix this. Another question on the content sharing previous modem routers I could use the connected USB HD as a network drive but this doesn't seem to be available on this so-called smart modem and as there is no documentation for this model I was hoping someone could confirm my assumptions.

You do not need to contact Telstra to update the firmware it should occur automatically. There is a problem with some modems and they require an manual reboot to install the software.

The modems do support sharing drives connected to USB port using SMBA 1.0

Johnny_B
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for getting back to me. Apart from turning off and back on this Arcadyan device how do you manually re-boot it to get it to do the firmware upgrade?
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

I don't think there is any manual way of upgrading the Router from the user end or the user forcing it to occur from the Telstra Network Control Centre.

The Router Menu - Advanced Settings/Management/System Reset/Restart Device may help to get over the issue cf4 referenced in his response to you. I assume it is the equivalent of a Power Down and Power Up scenario - not sure. If you have done a lot of custom settings, as a precaution you may wish to Save these Settings to a File from the same screen before you Reset but one would not expect a Reset to alter them. After that, if Firmware has not upgraded in Advanced Settings/Global Information, suggest you contact Telstra and ask them if they can manually activate it per USB's experience above which seemed to work for USB. If Telstra is unable to successfully do this, ask them for next step remediation and if a replacement Router would fix your issue.

Shellock's post above indicates that 5000 Routers nightly are being done automatically, so it may take some time before the existing population of Routers are covered. Given that 8 million NBN customers will exist when the network is complete and Telstra would have the significant share of these, automatic updates to the target Routers that require firmware updates may take some time to rollout.  

JM6

Hi Ryan, and anyone else interested...
I received a replacement modem last Friday 12 April and installed it over the weekend.
(Arcadyan LH 1000)
I am paying for the NBN 50 mbps on a Telstra Plus plan.
For the first few days the Modem was happily running at about 22 mbps down and about 8 mbps up.
No crashes or reboots, like my previous Arcadyan.
This morning at about 2:30 am the modem rebooted about 3 times and installed new firmware.
Firmware is now: 0.06.07r

Coincidentally !!! ??? :
my download speed has now dropped to a pathetic 5.5 Mbps and upload is now 0.8
Mbps.
This is what happened to the previous Arcadyan, the firmware update seems to have adversely affected my internet speeds drastically.
I will monitor the speed for the next 24 hours, then I guess I will be back on to Support to go through the Telstra circus routine again.
Has anyone seen the movie "Groundhog Day" ? I feel like the character played by Bill Murray: every day is a repeat of the previous day, ad infinitum.

*The Links to direct Tech support for these modem issues, sent to my phone by SMS have mysteriously disappeared (again).
*A return post satchel was supposed to be sent out to me to enable me to post back the first dud modem, but no return satchel was enclosed with the new modem.

It sounds like the new modem is working on 4G backup. Is the front light blue and the mobile mode light on back green?

There is now another firmware update for this modem 07.05r

JM6

Hi cf4,
That was the first thing I checked.
Front light is green, the modem is definitely not running on the 4G backup.

DL is 4.3 mbps and UL is 1.8 mbps Ping is 19 ms using the Telstra speed check over an Ethernet cabled device.
I suspect the "newest" firmware has done something to the modem speeds.
JM6

"There is now another firmware update for this modem 07.05r"
Really ?
My modem updated just last night to 0 06 07r
Why would it not have updated to 07 05r ?
Very odd.

I am not exactly sure how the updates work but modem has to update to 0.06.07r before it updates to .07.05r
Mkrtich

Hi - sorry to see the stress that this is causing. In case this helps - per chance , do you have a spare working router that can be substituted for the Arcadyan LH1000. The Telstra service is pre-activated by the Arcadyan, so maybe another router could substitute for it now just for testing purposes. If so and that works, another speedtest will validate if it is the router or the NBN Network causing issues and to see if any improvement occurs. This way you know if it is the LH1000 that was causing the problem or not. Also, how is the NBN being delivered to your residence - HFC Coax or VDSL Copper - FTTC or FFTN? I am not saying that the following could be an issue - just a side comment- on my non-NBN HFC broadband 100 Mbps service, the best my HP Netbook does is 35 Mbps , however the Mini-Mac does over 100 Mbps, so the CPU does also contribute to the result.
JM6

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I actually did what you suggested when Telstra first sent my a new Arcadyan Gen 2 modem. I am on FTTN.
I had an older Technicolor Gen 1 smart modem that I connected, which delivered improved speeds of about 24 Mbps, compared to the disgracefully low Arcadyan modem which was delivering about 3 or 4 Mbps.
This proved to the Techs at telstra that it was the Arcadyan modem at issue.
So, they sent me a replacement modem which was working fine until this morning, when the modem auto updated to firmware 0.06.07r and now the speeds have dropped from mid twenties downloads to about 7/8. So, a new firmware problem may be the cause of the new low speeds.

Looks like I will be getting out the older Technicolor modem again.......sigh.
Would Optus or another provider be any better, I'm really tempted to contact the TIO, cancel my Telstra services altogether and churn to another provider......

JM6

I just discovered a big gem of information.
Telstra has certainly not related this info to me, regarding my ongoing internet problems.
I did an NBN availability search with another Telco, and it turns out my FTTN area is in "co-existence", which is NBN double-speak and means my area has not gone full NBN FTTN and is running old adsl services in tandem with newer FTTN services.
Which means..SLOWWWWWWWWWWW internet.

Imagine a street cable of say 300 pairs of wires all pulsing away at the frequency of ADSL.
Now insert one pair at the different NBN frequency and it is typically subjected to cross-talk interference, which in turn may mean the need to constantly re-transmit corrupted data, hence slowing down the effective data rate.
As the numbers of NBN services overtake ADSL on that cable, the interference is reduced and effective speed is increased for all NBN users........eventually by year 2099.

So, as well as having a crappy junky Telco supplied Arcadyan modem, the area is in NBN "co-existence", so the net speeds will be slower than a drunken snail on a Sunday picnic.

What chance do we consumers stand ?

I think the main problem is the Arcadyan modem and the fact that a stability profile has been applied to your line.

Co-existence does result in a slower connection but it should not result in a speed of 22 Mbps down and 9 Mbps, with Technicolor modem and 6 bps down and 0.8 Mbps up when using Arcadyan modem.

The pairs are twisted and if terminated in the correct impedance there should be very little cross talk from one pair to another. If there was cross talk (signal from one pair inducing a signal in another pair) this would also cause problems if the two pairs were used for ADSL

I noticed no change in speed from when my area was in coexistence and when the coexistence period had ended.

Mkrtich

Yes, it's difficult to understand what is going on here - is it the NBN or Telstra causing the problem .
I am inclined to agree with cf4's comments regarding the state of your Arcadyan LH1000 and suggest you see if Telstra can force upgrade it to V0.07.05r to see if any improvement occurs.

Your FTTN in your area is being delivered by NBN on either the earlier adopted VDSL deployments or its later replacement, Vectored VDSL2 (Profile 8 series tested at maximum 50 Mbps in a laboratory, not the real world). I am assuming you have been recently connected to the FTTN , so you may be on VDSL2. It is now favoured due to its significant reduction in cross-talk interference from co-existing ADSL services, so your service may or may not be connected via Vectored VDSL2. For FTTN users, the real world operating speeds will vary according to the distance from your home to the neighbourhood Fibre Node and other factors related to the wholesale links purchased by RSPs to cater for their customers bandwidth allocations.
Aidan2

@USB wrote:

Who did you speak to i've called platinum team 5 times i think and had 4 webchats nobody can update the firmware manually its automatic and nobody could tell me when its going to happen. In fact Telstra seem to know less about this issue then the general public.

I'm still on 0.05 and port forwarding is totally broken. My modem is not updating and I need port fowarding 4 times a week its not an option to go without it so I have to revert back to my old F@ST 5355 modem. I've tried factory resets, reboots etc... none of them made a difference the only thing I've noticed is during midday one day when nobody was using internet it upgraded itself from 0.04 to 0.05.

Apparently even in 0.06 port forwarding is broken so this means i'm swapping out modems/waiting weeks for an update that wont even fix it. Then who knows how long it will take for the correct version to come down 0.07 where my modem will function correctly. 

This modem is not fit for purpose and we shouldnt have to wait weeks and weeks for it to update to become fit for purpose.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Aidan2, our NBN Assurance Team via 1800 834 273 Opt 4 shall be able to assist you in relation to any new updates which may be available at this time. 

Aidan2

@MammaB wrote:

Hi Aidan2, our NBN Assurance Team via 1800 834 273 Opt 4 shall be able to assist you in relation to any new updates which may be available at this time. 

No offence but I've already wasted my time making 4 calls speaking to NBN Assurance Team and 1 call to NBN Platinum specialist in all 5 calls plus many live chats I was told the following:

1. There is no updates even when I stated what I've seen on CrowdSupport/Whirlpool has a 30 page thread on this issue - Not true

2. No idea if you can update at all - Not true

2. Only NBN Platinum specialists can make updates - Not true they had no idea what I was even talking about

3. Updates are all automatic there is no way to manually update - I'm assuming this the case but not good enough as modem is faulty on 0.04, 0.05 and 0.06 firmware versions.

I'm at the stage where I have an active complaint and waiting to hear back. I've wasted around 2-3 hours on phone already.

Support Team
Support Team

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm sure the firmware developers will be working on bug fixes in future updates, I do appreciate the concerns and difficulties there in the meantime however. Your case manager will be in touch to discuss this with you further I am sure. 

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Your modem will generally receive updates over night, I'd recommend leaving in plugged in to your old F@st5355 with the WiFi turned off, if you haven't done so already. So that the modem is given the opportunity to phone home and get the update while you're waiting for a response from the complaints team or when you do get a response the update can be pushed to the modem. I would also take a picture of the serial number or write it down so that if complaints does call and you aren't home you can provide them the serial number so that the firmware can be pushed to the modem instead of your having to wait till you're home to provide it. However, if you do use your home phone I would not recommend connecting it to your F@st 5355 as this will cause issues with your landline.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

JM6

Thanks Mkrtich,
I finally found the NBN node hidden behind some trees in a Street nearby.
It is 930 metres from my home. So, 930 metres of old copper.
I spoke for the 4th time to a Telstra help line tech yesterday.
He ran some more line tests and said that the best speed I can expect on my 50 mbps plan is 29 mbps download and about 10 up.
Several days of doing my own speed tests at varying times will only give me a maximum of 24 mbps, usually it's about 19/20 for download, 7 or 8 up.
I am quite disappointed. The Tech said he will lodge a complaint about the line speed with NBN, but I don't expect the NBN will give two hoots.
I see in the news that Australia is 62nd in the world now for internet speeds, what a joke.
NBN is a farce. I would get better internet in Kazakhstan.
Thanks Malcolm Turnbull, (not) for your dogs breakfast of an NBN.

In any case, I don't understand why the first Tech at Telstra I spoke to didn't tell me my area was in co existence and my best line speed was about 29 mbps.
hwka
Level 3: Gumshoe

The following is interesting..

The Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem is NOT a single brand modem although they share the same name and come in identical cases.
The Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem LH1000 Arcadyan is made in China.
The Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem Technicolor DJA0231 is made in Vietnam from a European design.
Does this matter?
Well yes , it certainly does.
Especially if you are considering buying a Telstra Smart WiFi Booster 2 (M35H-MAP) for $192.
It will pair with and work with the LH1000 Arcadyan - not surprisingly as the manufacturer is Arcadyn.
It will not pair with the Technicolor DJA0231 - as has been noted on other forums.
The front of the box the Telstra WiFi Booster Gen2 arrives in says:
"Works best with the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2"
The back of the box says: Manufacturer Arcadyan
Is this just my opinion or based on fact?
Well the other forums say so - but unfortunately for me I have all 3 items on my desk to prove it.

The next firmware update for the DJA0231 should allow the modem to work with the Telstra WiFi booster Gen 2

hwka
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thank you for the quick response.
That is certainly welcome news.
But surely..
If I buy a Telstra product I should be entitled to assume that it will work with the other Telstra product it was designed and marketed for especially as I queried the reports from several forums as to whether it would actually work as advertised.
Mix and match products from competing manufacturers - not so much.
dauser
Level 8: Inspector

What version did they flash?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now