pmc2
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 configure LAN IP address

I have just had a new modem installed by Telstra as part of switching to NBN service. I need to configure the new modem with the LAN IP address ranges I use on the LAN. When I go to the advanced Local LAN setup tab on the UI (192.168.0.1) and attempt to change it to the new internal numbering it says "Invalid IP address" and won't accept the change. My previous routers have all done this change no problem. And no it is not acceptable to say well you need to change your internal network numbering to the 192.168.0.xxx range.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 configure LAN IP address

Did you change the DHCP address range at the same time as trying to change the LAN IP address of the modem?

There are a couple of address ranges reserved for Telstra Air and the guest network. What address range are you trying to use?

pmc2

Yes I tried doing one at a time (first the local device ip address - then the DHCP range) and vis versa. Same error - it does not seem to accept a change to either or both. The range I am trying to use is 203.15.10.xxx (using 203.15.10.1 as the local address of the router).

I don't think that is one of the reserved address so I don't know why the gateway is preventing you using it. Depending on what type of internet connection you have and the capabilities of your old modem you might be able to use your old modem with Telstra modem used as VOIP adapter with WAN port of Telstra Modem connected to LAN port of your old modem.
pmc2

Yes, some further research reveals that it appears to be an Arcadyan modem (the default Telstra modem) issue preventing you from using ANY public address range regardless of the fact you are using it on the internal LAN. I just tried changing to 10.0.0.1 and it worked. Still won't allow the 203.15.10.xxx..

I surprised your old modem lets you us that address range and you could end up with a external site having the same address one of the devices connected to the LAN.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more