Highlighted
Calllmejulia
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 problems

Answered
I recently received the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 from Telstra free of charge with a because my old modem was so out of date. For the first few days it was really good getting crazy speeds. Although after those first few days it started to constantly drop out. Today and Yesterday was the worst. It is now barely working. To load up a normal website takes about ten minutes (more or less) and don’t get me started with videos. About six(ish) hours ago I got a text from Telstra saying they have made my internet faster “free of charge” and to restart my systems. I did that and nothing seemed to change. I still couldn’t do anything. I was wondering if anyone knows what’s going on and how to potentially fix it. On the main system the light at the front is solid blue. On the back all the lights are solid green expect for “phone” which is completely off. The system next to it the power light is solid green, the downstream light is flashing green, the upstream light is completely off, the internet light is completely off and the network light is solid blue. If you need anymore info I’ll get back to you. Thanks in advance it really means a lot to me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 problems

The modem is in 4G backup mode as indicated by front light being blue and mobile mode light being green. The 4G backup is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up but gets throttled to 256 Kbps if used for extended period of time. The modem is in 4G backup due to fault with your main link indicated by upstream light being off and downstream light flashing.

Suggest you contact support to have main link fixed. You should also request that a WEB form be submitted to remove the throttling on the 4 G backup.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 problems

The modem is in 4G backup mode as indicated by front light being blue and mobile mode light being green. The 4G backup is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up but gets throttled to 256 Kbps if used for extended period of time. The modem is in 4G backup due to fault with your main link indicated by upstream light being off and downstream light flashing.

Suggest you contact support to have main link fixed. You should also request that a WEB form be submitted to remove the throttling on the 4 G backup.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now