CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with additional router options.

Answered

Hi all,

I've recently changed over from Telstra HFC direct to NBN HFC from Telstra. I previously had the old Netgear CG3100D in bridge mode into the WAN port of an Asus RT-AC88U. I'm trying to work out how best to get the new internet to my home network with-out having to change a whole bunch of stuff on my end. Another reason is the wireless on the Asus is a much stronger signal than the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, and the security on it is better too (plus more option for VPN support, etc).

Option one:
Set the Telstra router up in bridge mode and connect it as per my old setup. Downside is I think the Telstra Air feature would stop working and I couldn't use it as a secondary WiFi for stuff I don't care about (old 2.4 stuff).

Option two:
Set my Asus router to 10.0.0.100, I would like it still as the wireless router. Set the Telstra modem to my Asus routers previous IP, 10.0.0.1. Again if I turn off the WiFi for the Telstra I'm assuming Telstra Air dies so I'll just limit it to 2.4. The Telstra router will also hence be doing all DHCP.

My main question is there an option three where I can use the the Telstra router as a P2P WAN (so bridge mode) but keeping the WiFi on, so I can use the better features on the Asus router for firewalls, primary WiFi, and VPN support?

Diagram is the basic layout of everything.

SNE
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with additional router options.

Your best option is just to use the Telstra modem as a VOIP ATA. The only disadvantage with this is that you loose the 4G backup.

1. Connect Asus WAN port directly to NBN HFC modem.
  2. Connect Telstra modems WAN port to one of ASUS LAN ports..
  3. Set ASUS WiFi channel to a fixed WiFi channel.
  4. Change WiFi channel in Telstra modem so that there is at least three channels separation between the ASUS and the Telstra modem.
  5. Connect phone to Telstra modem.
  6. You don't need to change any settings in Telstra modem.
  7. If you have trouble with incoming calls change SIP ALG settings in ASUS router..

NBN HFC modem ----------WAN ASUS LAN -------------WAN Telstra modem-----Phone

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

Just to confirm, everything is now working as shown below.  Thanks for your assistance cf4, not sure why it didn't work the first time I plugged the HFC NBN modem directly into the WAN port of my Asus router, possibly I just wasn't patient enough for it to connect right.

SNE

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Your best option is just to use the Telstra modem as a VOIP ATA. The only disadvantage with this is that you loose the 4G backup.

1. Connect Asus WAN port directly to NBN HFC modem.
  2. Connect Telstra modems WAN port to one of ASUS LAN ports..
  3. Set ASUS WiFi channel to a fixed WiFi channel.
  4. Change WiFi channel in Telstra modem so that there is at least three channels separation between the ASUS and the Telstra modem.
  5. Connect phone to Telstra modem.
  6. You don't need to change any settings in Telstra modem.
  7. If you have trouble with incoming calls change SIP ALG settings in ASUS router..

NBN HFC modem ----------WAN ASUS LAN -------------WAN Telstra modem-----Phone

Highlighted

When I tried the NBN HFC modem directly into the WAN of the Asus I wasn't getting an IP address, are they MAC locked and I need to call up to change it?

SNE
Highlighted

The connection is not MAC locked. Set the ASUS internet settings to IPOE (ISP does not require log in). I think the setting is DHCP  in the ASUS.

Highlighted

OK thanks, I'll give that a go this afternoon and come back with a corrected diagram if it worked.  Just to confirm, that means that anything connecting via the Telstra WifI would be double NATed so I'll also confirm that the Telstra Air still works afterwards.

Additionally, I will be setting the Telstra Router to 10.0.1.1/24

SNE
Highlighted

The Telstra WiFi and LAN will be double Nated.

Can change IP address range, as long as you don't set Telstra router to 10.0.0.xx it should work. 

Accepted Solution

Just to confirm, everything is now working as shown below.  Thanks for your assistance cf4, not sure why it didn't work the first time I plugged the HFC NBN modem directly into the WAN port of my Asus router, possibly I just wasn't patient enough for it to connect right.

SNE

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more