yesterdayman
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Answered

So I now have a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with cable adaptor. All connected and working fine. Does anyone know what is supported by the USB 3 port in the modem? Does it support a shared disk drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

The USB 30 port supports DLNA and SMB V1.0 so it does support a network drive using SMB V1.0. There are two different GEN2 modems, one manufactured by Technicolor and a Arcadyan. The Technicolor also supports a network USB printer.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The USB 30 port supports DLNA and SMB V1.0 so it does support a network drive using SMB V1.0. There are two different GEN2 modems, one manufactured by Technicolor and a Arcadyan. The Technicolor also supports a network USB printer.

Houlie58

Hi - just wondering if you know if it is possible to get an upgrade of some sort so the modem supports SMB V2? as SMB V1 support has been removed from recent Win 10 updates as being too insecure.

It is unlikely that Gen 2 will be updated to SMB V2 or V3 in the near future. Even though Windows has stopped enabling SMB V2 by default you can still enable it by opening services (Click start and type Services, then click on Services Desk top app) and placing tick next to SMBV 1

File_Sharing_Support.JPG

Houlie58

Thanks for the help. Works OK. What's the risk with enabling SMB 1.0

I am not an IT expert but I can't see any risk if you have the PC connected to your home network. I can see a risk if it is left on when connected to a public network.
Houlie58

Thanks so much for your help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now