KatieBrown
Level 11: Detective

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Answered

Attempted to use chat today to report a problem with the modem. The Smart Modem has a sim card in it which is no longer working thus cannot connect to the 4g network in an emergency.

After about 1 hour and 34 minutes later, the person had me unplug, reset, reboot etc and remove the cable connection and finally said I should have the sim card checked at the nearest Telstra Shop which I will attempt tomorrow.

I was concerned that this person didn't know what they were talking about when she asked me to disconnect the DSL cord which I don't have.

She tried to tell me the lights for the 4g backup system only come on when in use and therefore I told her that I must have been on 4g backup for the last 3 months.

See how I go tomorrow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KatieBrown
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

This matter has been resolved by Yastiandrie. The problem required a replacement SIM.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Level 25: The Singularity

If you've been on the 4G backup service for 3 months, it has probably either been limited to 256kbps or disabled. It's only meant to be used for short periods of time when your main service fails.

What type of broadband connection do you have? It sounds like it has a fault.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
KatieBrown

Dear sir. You have missed the point entirely. I have not been on 4g back up but according to the person I chatted with, the light only comes on when in back up mode which is incorrect. Disconnection of cable did not start the back up. The sim card is faulty and thus backup not available.

My apologies. The way you wrote the last paragraph of your original post made it sound like you had been on the backup service.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is the signal light on?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
KatieBrown

Hi Jupiter, I was actually having a big whinge.

Update, took modem to Telstra shop as requested, then told that I had to ring Telstra as they couldn't do anything. Rang Telstra who advised that the dead sim would only be fixed when there was a problem remotely. Told by Telstra Shop I should have been given a Gen 2 and not a Gen 1, told by billing, that I got a compatible modem and that was it.

Basically I wasted several hours. So anyone having a problem with the sim card in a Gen 1, Telstra apparently fix it remotely if it is needed, how I don't know. No use ringing Telstra unless the back up is needed and by magic they will engage the 4g signal remotely and fix the sim card.

KatieBrown

No, the sim card is dead. There is no automatic backup on the modem and advised by Telstra, that they would fix it remotely if it was needed.

There is no profile for the backup and no device detected and Telstra won't fix the issue.

Yeah besides a factory reset of the modem and potentially re-seating the SIM (underside) of modem underneath white sticker, there's not much else that can be done.

Also you can't remotely activate the SIM of its not detected.

These SIM's are preactivated when they hit the warehouse. Generally an un-activated SIM will be detected by the modem just fine but will get a registration denied error which you can see in Advanced > Mobile.

Replacement SIM's can be mailed out and as far as I know standard assurance teams should be able to do this provided the modem is on your account.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
KatieBrown

I was assured (yeah I know) that the sim would be fixed via remote if the internet went down. I did ask how they could do that if there was no internet and was advised that "they have tools to do this".

In other words, Telstra will no fix the issue. If I was a new customer and not a recontracted customer I may have had something done.

All I got was the runaround, told to go to Telstra Store, told by Telstra Store that I had to Ring Telstra, told by Telstra this was not an issue and would be fixed when required remotely.

Half a day later and no satisfaction because I am a "recontracted" user and not a "new user".

for those following this, if you 4g backup don't work because the sim card is faulty or not detected (when originally it was), don't bother ring Telstra, they will tell you it will be fixed when required remotely. How, I don't know. 

Ring support again and if they don't provide a solution make a complain. You can make complaint by ringing g 132200 and when asked for reason for call say complaint. The person you spoke to when you first rang gave you the wrong information. It does not matter whether you are new or an existing customer if Telstra supplied the modem Telstra will fix a problem with 4G backup by either sending new modem or SIM.
KatieBrown

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 1

I'm just getting the runaround. If the internet goes down they will fix the modem remotely so they say.

I did ask for a new modem as I was given only the Gen 1 and was advised "compatible modem" was all I was entitled to.

I went through several departments and was told that I was not entitled to a new modem as the one I have is not faulty. The matter regarding the 4g connection will be fixed when required.

I'm tired of going around in circles with everyone telling me different things.

Bottom line, regardless, according to Telstra the fact that the sim card is not recognised (and was previously) is not a fault and will be fixed remotely when required and not to concern myself with it. I asked how if the internet is down and was advised that Telstra have tools to do this.

If the problem can be fixed remotely then why don't they fix it now ? 

the answer was "when the internet goes down they'll fix it".

This is why people get frustrated and each department states a different thing and customers are just given the runaround.

When the modem becomes a problem, I'll deal with it then.

I've already wasted about 6 hours on this matter and don't wish to waste any further time. The bottom line is, Telstra won't fix the sim card for the 4g.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If the SIM is faulty or not detected then the faults team should be able to look into a replacement modem. They will not be able to swap the Smart Modem Gen 1 with a Gen 2 though.

If the issue is the modems backup function has been disabled due to ongoing use then this is something they will be able to escalate and have fixed remotely. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

KatieBrown

@AlistairQWA wrote:

If the SIM is faulty or not detected then the faults team should be able to look into a replacement modem. They will not be able to swap the Smart Modem Gen 1 with a Gen 2 though.

If the issue is the modems backup function has been disabled due to ongoing use then this is something they will be able to escalate and have fixed remotely. 

- AlistairQWA

The signal lights suddenly went out. Checked Modem page and the "no device is detected" also there is no profile. Apparently you have to have a hybrid profile for the backup to work.The 4g backup has never been used as it has not been necessary. Telstra will not replace the modem. Spoke to faults and explained the situation and was advised that there would not be a replacement modem and the sim card will be fixed remotely when needed. 

The backup function has not been disabled. It simply doesn't exist. 

My question is, if the backup profile/sim card or whatever can be fixed remotely, why didn't faults fix it and then all my signal lights would be there and I would be happy knowing I had a backup if necessary. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you unplug the WAN connection from the modem and the 4g backup does not activate automatically within around 10 minutes then there will be an issue that tech support can investigate. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

KatieBrown

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 1

@AlistairQWA wrote:

If you unplug the WAN connection from the modem and the 4g backup does not activate automatically within around 10 minutes then there will be an issue that tech support can investigate. 

- AlistairQWA

Of course I did all that when on the chat page originally and then told to go to the Telstra Shop to have it investigated. Took modem to Telstra Shop and they told me to ring Faults. Rang Faults and advised of the situation and noted in the properties: Under mobile, it is Enabled but "no device connected".

Short story, I was then advised that the modem was not faulty so no replacement and that the sim card would be fixed remotely when required. End of call.

So if I need the backup, I am to call Telstra and they will fix modem remotely.

So at least when people are searching Crowd Support, they will see that if the modem 4g lights are not on and the backup is not detected, they merely have to ring Telstra and Telstra will fix it remotely when required.

It is time just to give up trying to get this attended to and just be grateful I have internet connection.

KatieBrown
Accepted Solution

This matter has been resolved by Yastiandrie. The problem required a replacement SIM.
Kazzaroonieb
Level 1: Cadet

The modem is faulty
KatieBrown

@Kazzaroonieb wrote:
The modem is faulty

The matter was resolved. It was the SIM.

Inny27
Level 1: Cadet

Wow it's interesting to see how many times I also call and they keep giving wrong information... Always escalate to their supervisor, their call centre can't help at all. I've wasted hours with different people.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now