CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Scozwozzle
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

There is definitely an issue with the modem. I was told by a technician that there is a known issue with gen 2 and it is being investigated by Telstra. They have replaced my modem because some apparently are unaffected but the new one is having the same issue. At the moment the fix seems to be replace them until you get a working one. (The cable adapter works fine with my old router and direct lan connection btw)
Scozwozzle
Scozwozzle

There is definitely an issue with the modem. I was told by a technician that there is a known issue with gen 2 and it is being investigated by Telstra. They have replaced my modem because some apparently are unaffected but the new one is having the same issue. At the moment the fix seems to be replace them until you get a working one. The cable adapter works fine with my old router and direct lan connection btw
Scozwozzle
derpster

Yes, you're right. Sadly I have found since my last post that the modem will still start dropping devices and causing headaches at the most unpredictable and inconvenient times. I will be sending this useless brick back to Telstra and they can reimburse me for the cost of the replacement I have had to buy. I have gone beyond what would be considered a reasonable amount of troubleshooting. several days trying to fix things, and a replacement modem that exhibits the exact same faults my original modem did (along with everyone else posting in here).

derpster

Just an update with this modem issue. I foolishly tried again yesterday to reason with Telstra and request that they reimburse me for the value of the replacement modem I have had to buy. They sent me on yet another wild goose chase of 'troubleshooting'. They either can't or won't send me an equivalent modem-router of a different make and model, so the only solution was to purchase a new one, which as others have mentioned in this thread, fixed everything instantly.

Level 25: The Singularity

They can't send you an equivalent modem/router of a different make and model as they don't sell them.

Note: by using a non-Telstra modem, you lose your landline phone service.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
HowsItGoing
Level 1: Cadet

We were having the same issues with wifi consistently dropping out over 6 weeks for our cable internet. I went through days of troubleshooting and tried every action Telstra recommended, had a NBN guy come over and also Telstra technician. We replaced then Gen 2 modem but still had issues with wifi dropping out. The only way I’ve been able to fix the issue was by resetting the cable adapter box, since doing this the wifi has yet to drop out. If only we tried this the first time I called. I have to say though Telstra were extremely helpful, friendly and understanding at my request for reimbursement. I do need to call up again however as we paid our first bill without the internet we had originally signed up for.
Boxercrazy0406
Level 2: Rookie

We received our smartgen 2 modem with cable adapter a few weeks ago. It is having the same issues as everyone elses. We have constant drop outs and now only some devices will connect to wifi but others will not e.g. only one of our google homes connects, the other doesnt and the ps4 refuses to connect. I have given up and just set our old modem back up. It just sucks that we are now making payments for a dead modem. Dont want to ring Telstra as I know it will take hours, if not days, and it still wont work!
Boxercrazy0406

Hi did changing the DHCP release time work in the longer term for you? We received the modem with cable adapter a few weeks back and after a fair bit of trouble shooting, resetting and calling Telstra, I've just given up and plugged our old modem back in. The best I could get the new one to do is connect some of our wifi devices but not all e.g. one of our Google Smart Homes would connect and not the other, the IPADs and phones connected but the PS4 refused to connect. Would love to know if anyone found a permanent solution. I'm too scared to call Telstra again as now that I have the old modem working I don't want to be without internet again!

Highlighted
Boxercrazy0406

My solution too! As of last night my old modem is plugged back in and the new one is back in its box. Hoping that someone in this thread finds a permanent solution so I'm not making repayments on something that is totally useless!
Kev_Broady
Level 4: Private Eye

Yes it works for me. I have nearly all my devices connecting now. The only exception is a wifi extender I use in the far end of my house. That device does not have capability to set up a fixed IP address on it. I can make it jump back on immediately however by changing the DHCP Release Time on the Gen2.

I have not reset the cable adapter but this has obviously worked for some but not others.

What worked for me was:-

- change the DHCP release time ( I use 504 hours)

- turn off Band Steering

- set up the connecting devices with a fixed IP address e.g. our android phones, tablets etc. This is done on the device not the modem.

It has been a step by step process so it is possible that not all 3 actions are needed but now I have it stable I am leaving well enough alone.

Boxercrazy0406

At this stage I changed my DCHP release time to 500 hours and then we had about 10 mini blackouts in our area and the modem has worked perfectly single last night so fingers crossed either the change in release time or the blackouts fixed it!
Jono81

Sorry for the extremely late response, was looking through this thread to see if there is a fix yet.
Yes i'm also on Telstra's Cable service, in East Brisbane. I haven't tried to use the smart modem again since i put it back in it's box, but it is interesting that it only seems to be cable customers.
Let's hope there's a fix soon for my fancy white cupboard ornament!
kyles79

So, as @343GuiltySpark solution didn't hold, i'm trialling @Kev_Broady suggestion of changing the DHCP release time.  Will update if ok.  I haven't changed band steering as I don't think I need to?  I just use for course work, research, minor social media and the odd tv/movie streaming...

Boxercrazy0406

I changed the release time to 500 hours about 2.5 days ago and the service hasn't gone down once. It was going down every 1 hour dead on the release time before i changed it. Hoping it stays up for atleast the 500 hours!!

TW27

Hello
I had an issue today where I lost wifi access. After resetting the Gen 2 modem I received a no internet access was available. My solution was to turn off wifi on all devices and PC, reset the modem, wait for 30 minutes and then turn on wifi. All devices and PC worked on wifi again.
Support Team
Support Team

I'm glad to hear that @TW27, is there anything else you need help with?

Please let us know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DDB61

Hi There, i also had the same problem with 2 separate modems. Certain devices cant see the connections when on ADSL but all devices could see it when on mobile (backup) mode. Telstra said a firmware update was coming. I've shelved them for now and have reverted to borrowing an older modem. Does anyone know if a firmware release has occurred for the Gen2?
Kev_Broady

Nothing yet. How would we be advised I wonder?

Level 24: Supreme Being

Normal you don't get advised when a new firmware is available.The firmware gets automatically downloaded to modem.
Level 22: Superhuman

@cf4 is 100% correct
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Kev_Borady, 

Was there still an outstanding matter I can assist you with today? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Kev_Broady

I have a Case Manager who I have been dealing with. The modem and cable adapter were replaced but the dropout problem is the same with the replacement Gen 2 modem.

Nothing concrete yet but I know they are working on it.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting me know @Kev_Broady

Please keep us updated on this and if you need any further assistance we are here on social media 24x7. 

DDB61

Hey TanashaM,  i think we'd all like an update on timing re the long promised firmware update.

Also as some of us (i certainly have) have put these back in the box, how will we even know its avail.

When i just power it on to work in mobile (backup) mode, i get nasty text messages from Telstra saying they are going to restrict the connection.

Determinedxx

Hi
Another unhappy Gen 2 user (being a user would be an improvement on what I can do!)
New House - FTTP - signed up for Telstra NBN. Smart Modem Gen 2 turned on last Thursday - only to find that it will only run in Backup 4G mode (Phone works OK though). Spent many hours testing for Telstra over several days. House next door also FTTP started this process 3 days before - same issues. Proved that the NBN was fine and fast by connecting directly to it - so Telstra agreed to replace modem. This is worse - now the phone doesn't work and still running 4G.

Neighbours have an old Telstra modem so they have put that on and get good performance and a Phone (just not the 4G failover I presume). I don't have such a modem but had a couple of old Optus modems so thought I would try. The one used for NBN is twice as fast as the one that had been used for ADSL but both a heck of a lot better than what I have with a 4G service. Perhaps there would be some configuring tweaks to increase speed further. However of course no failover and no phone - so this is not what I signed up for. I can't face further endless troubleshooting with Telstra support when the modem is clearly not fit for purpose. Not just 1 modem but both - and add the 2 next door that is 4. I think I'll stick with the Wireless Broadband I was using before NBN was installed as we had no copper to the new house. Don't need this hassle.

There should be an a firmware update to fix the Gen 2 modems problems. In the mean time while waiting for the release of  of the firmwarei you could connecti the WAN port of the GEN 2 modem to a LAN port of the Optus modem to provide a phone service using GEN 2 modem as a VOIP adaptor.

@cf4 is correct. There are updates coming soon
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Kev_Broady

Determinedxx

Hi cf4 - that would be an interesting technical thing to try if I can find the free time after spending another 2 hours on the phone to Telstra today - not much progress. They want to see if the new modem will connect to Telstra if we leave it sitting there for 24 hours. We don't really need a landline - it was just part of the deal and I could use it to find my mobile when I mislay it!
cart1

I have had the exact problem everyone here is describing with the Telstra gen 2 smart modem / cable adapter. I received a second replacement set and set it up over the weekend and the same problem of device wifi dropping off is still occurring. They are sending me yet another one now - third time lucky I hope? I have been on the phone to them over this issue for a collective of at least 12 hours I would say - over many many days / weeks and never spoken to the same person twice. It's disappointing that this known issue isn't being resolved in a more timely manner. 

I doubt that third time lucky will apply in this case unless modem is one of the older GEN 1 modems. There is a firmware update that is currently being tested. This will automatically be pushed out to modems once it has been fully tested. It takes time time to develop an update. First the cause of problem has to be discovered, then a fix developed and finally the new firmware fully tested to see that it doesn’t create further problems.
samantharose

Can confirm I have the same problem, both on wired devices and Wi-Fi devices

Our house is cabled so all TV's are ethernet connected to a port, even watching Stan/Netflix on an NBN FTTP 100/40 with 98mbps down speed tests, we still experience these "drops". However the lights on the modem all suggest the service is connected and workable. All testing also shows no network drops, and no "no data flow" events.

So again this isnt just "Wi-Fi" affecting, this also affects wired connections.

I should also add - mine is an arcadyan Smart Gen 2

Scozwozzle

What is Telstra wanting everyone to do in the meantime? I’ve had this issue for over a month and am finally in the queue to hear from the office of the ceo however there doesn’t seem to be any temporary solution other than use your own modem or keep getting replacements that don’t work. There’s also nothing official from Telstra accepting there actually is an issue (which is obvious) and tech support just go through the same steps over and over with every replacement modem. There are rumours about firmware updates in the works but no one knows when or if this will work. Something needs to be done!
There is a massive ad campaign around these modems and it’s obvious they don’t work. Under the Australian Consumer Law, when you buy products and services they come with automatic guarantees that they will work and do what you asked for. If you buy something that isn't right, you have consumer rights.
Please escalate this. I’m sure you and your colleagues want to stop offering solutions you know most likely won’t work.
Scozwozzle

Well, the only fix is a firmware update, so what more do you expect to be done?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Scozwozzle

It hasn’t even been confirmed an update is coming. If that’s what’s wrong with these modems that’s fine just tell us instead of wasting everyone’s time with tech support, on site technicians, and a constant stream of replacement devices.
Scozwozzle

It has been confirmed in the post above by @Yastiandrie
If he says one is coming, then one is coming.
Kev_Broady

Hey Jupiter, you are a Supreme Being so will be able to explain why @Yastiandrie should be believed when he says a firmware update is being worked on. I replied to his post where he mentioned an update and I asked how he knows but I did not get a reply.

I have a Case Manager in the CEO's office and I have not had that assurance.

@Yastiandrie has more of an idea about the firmware release schedules than the CEO's office as he works in Platinum Support and communicates with the team that looks after the modems quite regularly, passing on feedback about issues that crop up.

There is a firmware update coming. @Yastiandrie is very much in the know on these things.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Scozwozzle

In the know or not, not a single person on this site, or any other, officially representing Telstra has confirmed this or reassured hundreds of customers without internet that a fix to the issue is coming, let alone admitted there is in fact an issue. The whole thing is a joke and I think everyone with this issue should lodge a complaint until they are forced to sort it out. Not everyone has a spare modem or can go out and buy a new one when they were promised a smart advanced and reliable modem in a massive media campaign.
Scozwozzle
Kev_Broady

I too have been down the replacement route like most others with the same outcome. I share your frustration.

I have found there are two workarounds that have made the modem stable with minimal dropouts. You need to be comfortable with navigating the Modem configuration though. I have explained this in more detail earlier in this thread.

The problem seems to be in the DHCP handling.
- Change the DHCP Lease time to *[504h]* this forces the modem to immediately renew the IP Address for dropped devices, and
- For each device you wish to connect to the wifi (android phone, Mac, tablet, PC etc), on the device itself set up a Static IP address.

I have a Wifi repeater which doesn't have the smarts to allow a Static IP but I can make that hop straight back onto the wifi when I need it by changing the DHCP Lease time.

I am keen to keep using the Gen 2 with these workarounds in place rather than reverting to my own Router because of the Cellular backup.

I agree that we shouldn't have to do this. Hope this helps.
Scozwozzle

Yeah thanks I know those can work for people. Still a bit annoying for a plug and play modem. Hopefully they fix it soon so we can all stop wasting so much time
Scozwozzle
Boxercrazy0406

I did the same thing and still going but worried what will happen once that 500 hours is up!
Kev_Broady

Just go in and change the Lease Time before it expires 500 hrs is about 3 weeks. 504h is the max so alternate between 500 and 504.

I have put a static IP on all my devices now and they *never* drop off.

dabsy

Everything that scozwozzle said. What a **bleep**ing joke. How has not a single official Telstra support account commented here with an understanding of the known issue or saying anything about this firmware update. Since NOVEMBER, or even later than November, Telstra has sold new customers a product that DOES NOT **bleep**ing WORK.
dabsy

We have a 56 Mbps cable line connected to a **bleep**ing brick of plastic. What was wrong with the Gen 1? Why not just keep selling that modem until you've actually made sure the product you are selling works?

You have engineers who can detect a swear word on a website and turn it onto "bleeps" but you can't simply address an issue that affects SO many customers. Epic.
DMRBSN

WiFi to computer with Telstra Smart Modenm NBN 2  OK BUT ...............  WiFi to TV episodic connection and rapid drop out

Kev_Broady

Have you tried setting the IP Settings on the TV manually?

The static IP settings that worked for me were:
- device: nnn.nnn.0.[a number in the range 2-255] eg. 192.168.0.100 - (allocate a different IP for each device you configure manually)
- subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
- router / gateway: 192.168.0.1
- DNS: 1.1.1.1

This might be helpful:

[Smart TV]

nbnisgrate

I suffer from 100% packet loss on xbox for multiplayer , tried every thing
I have the arcadian model
PissedCustomer1

Hey Tabion,

I've had this exact issue as well (along with having 3 unnecessary replacements sent out). I'm on cable and my suspicion is that what they call the "Cable Adaptor" acts as the modem and as such the "Smart Modem" just acts as a wireless router with a 4G backup. I figured this out by hanging my old Optus Modem/Wifi Router off the cable modem instead and it worked fine (embarrassing right?).

Anyway, I believe the "Failed to Obtain I.P. address" message I was getting was down to a firmware issue on the Smart Modem trying to switch to 4G (when it shouldn't) and getting stuck.

To combat this, I powered down my "Smart" Modem, removed the sim from the slot in the back (you'll need some tweezers) and powered the device back on and it hasn't failed in over 24 hours.

Although I'm fairly confident I've fixed my issue, I'd still highly recommend taking the device(s) into Telstra and stating that they’re "Not fit for purpose". Consumer law states that vendors (ISPs or otherwise) are obligated to repair, replace or refund at your discretion and get your money back.

With that cash you can buy a kickass wireless router that'll absolutely cream whatever Telstra will ship AND you'll probably get better diagnostics data too, so you'll be better able to troubleshoot yourself.

Cheers,

Another customer unwillingly drafted into Telstra’s customer support team.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now