Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Highlighted
Geoff64
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

** POSSIBLE WORK-AROUND FOR ARCADYAN MODEM PROBLEMS **
Problems with Arcadyan's working for a short period before going unstable and not allowing web access, or sometimes serving-up incorrect pages, etc., are widespread. Like others, I had to resort to using my old modem when I had to actually get some work done, but with that we lost our phone. In desperation from not getting any real support from Telstra (and after 2nd modems which didn't work and 10+ hours on the phone to support), and not seeing anything where someone fixed my problem in Crowd Support, I turned to the Whirlpool forums for help. After a long-running exchange on Arcadyan problems, someone worked out that disabling uPnP fixed their problem. So the forum recommended I also try disabling uPnP, and it's worked brilliantly; the Arcadyan has worked flawlessly for 10 days now for me (and about 20 days now for the first person who tried it in the same Whirlpool forum thread). If anybody's having problems with their Arcadyan, I recommend you give this a go (UPnP can be disabled on the UPnP tab under Local Network in the Advanced menu). The Whirlpool forum consensus was the UPnP protocol isn't required for most users, and manual work-arounds are available.
(of course it shouldn't be necessary to disable an established protocol like UPnP, and we expect Telstra will fix this glitsch in a future firmware update; which was at version 0.05.04r as of a couple of weeks ago)
Incidentally, and disappointingly, I still haven't heard back from Telstra about my original problems since before I applied this fix, so I haven't been able to communicate what fixed it.
Good luck. This modem/ router seems like a nice unit now that it's working.
fluffy11
Level 1: Cadet

l am having exactly the same problem it is so annoying

Cannibal
Level 2: Rookie

I need uPnP for my media streamer, as it gives me by far the best sound, and, until recently, this worked fine with my Arcadyan in the study and the hifi in the living room, ethernet connected through Netgear AV500 Powerline adapters. I thought I'd upgrade these to the much higher performing TP-Link AV2000, for enhanced streaming of movies. Unfortunately, I have ended up in the same situation as you and many others, with the Arcadyan rebooting every 10 minutes or so, the streaming software hanging on my PC and SBS On-demand stopping. The Arcadyan log indicated that it was having major problems and losing connections. After days of trying various options, I went back to the old Netgear powerline adapters and everything is working fine again, with uPnP enabled. I doubt there is anything wrong with the brand new TP-Link AV2000 adapters and strongly suspect a shortcoming with the Arcadyan firmware. Not holding my breath for Telstra to address this and, in the meantime, will continue with the older Netgear technology.

Kev_Broady
Level 4: Private Eye

If you have the Smart Modem Gen 2 [Technicolor DJA0231] then it might be time to get it back out of the box and have another attempt.

Something has changed because devices are not dropping anymore. I have a cheap range extender that would always drop out but even that is connecting and staying connected! I also have a new mobile phone and that doesn't drop either. I am no longer using any static IP settings on devices. The only modem config changes I have now is - Band Steering' set to OFF and Lease time set to 500h.

I can't tell if there has been a firmware fix applied recently but it finally seems to be working properly. Happy days!

Level 24: Supreme Being

The firmware version can be checked by going to Advanced >  Gateway. The last firmware was 18.2.c.0241-950-RA

The firmware version can be checked by going to Advanced > Gateway. The last firmware was 18.2.c.0241-950-RA

Kev_Broady

Mine is still showing:
18.1.c.0241-950-RA
But I know it is running better.

@Kev_Broady

There has been a configuration file update which fixes the DHCP issue on DJA0231 modems connect to a cable connection, The configuration file gets updated when modem is rebooted. That is why devices connected to your modem are no longer loosing there connection.

Kev_Broady

That is great news @cf4. Thanks for the info.

As @cf4 has mentioned, any modems rebooted as of a couple of days ago will download the patch. It is not a full blown firmware update so the modem version wont change. It is included in the upcoming firmware update as a more permanent fix
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Kev_Broady

Thanks for confirming @Yastiandrie.

Determinedxx

3 or 4 weeks ago I posted about our problem with Gen-2 Modem and FTTP in a new property - after about 20 seconds would fail over to 4G so we had no NBN - apart from the phone. After hours and hours of repetitive testing and talking and chatting, and trying second modem - no difference. Finally today Telstra sent out a technician. He happened to have a Technicolor modem (ours had both been Arcaydian) - and we now have NBN speeds. So far so good. It was just good luck he didn't have the Arcaydian one as I don't think he was aware of differences.
davids45

G'day,
What is the range of address numbers for static IPs (the others in range 2-255 presumably being available for DHCP)? Gen 2 Modem model number is DJA0231, (eventual) connection via cable adapter.
Main issue will be to set static IP for Epson wifi network printer, but maybe we should do for all household computers, etc., once switched over to Telstra?

You can set up the static address in modem and use any address within the DHCP range of the modem or you can limit the DHVP range of the modem to example 192.168.0.2 to 126 and use address above this for setting up static IP on the devices.

To set up static IP for device in the modem go to Advanced 》 Local Network 》 static Lease.

To limit DHCP range of modem go to Advanced 》Local Network 》 DHCP and change the end IP address.
davids45

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - now a splitter query

G'day cf4,

Thanks for the reply - I'll use this information once we get connected via our Foxtel cable.

Changing the topic a bit, but while I've got your attention Smiley Happy , I'd value your opinion on how many splitters in a line do you think is OK in using cable?  We are having a connection issue which I wonder now could be, in part, having more than 1 splitter in the line to the cable adapter.

David S.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@davids45 Ideally zero would be the number of splitters, each one you add reduces the signal strength and introduces the possibility of interference.

You connection issues could however be caused by interference between the Foxtel signal and the NBN internet signals. There have been a couple of people who have had this issue, and there were two possible solutions.

One was adding a high pass filter to the line, but the best option is to get your Foxtel switched to Satellite delivery as this eliminates the problem completely (and Foxtel is going to migrate everyone by 2023 anyway).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Off the top of my head Telstra would install an amplifier if more then 2 wall plates were going to be installed in a house to combat signal degradation.

As Jupiter has mentioned, the more times its split and there's nothing to boost it, the more chance everything loses out
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
davids45

G'day,
Thanks for the replies.
We've just tried our unused Foxtel line (we've two, with a single splitter assuming Foxtel used a splitter when we were connected years ago with two connections in the house from the one grey box at the front of the house).
Unfortunately, we still had the same un-connection, with the same flashing light sequences as when we split the already used line with a new splitter (guessing it has two splitters in this case).
No internet connection but the LAN works fine (e.g. for file transfer between logged-on computers).
The Netgear cable modem/adapter has four lit yellow leds and a violently flashing blue led ('networking'). There seems no variation in the fast rate of flashing of this led.
The router/modem Gen2 has a green front led for about 30 seconds then goes white/orange for about 3 seconds then green again. At the back, the Wifi, Online and WAN/DSL leds are lit and green.

We've been told there is a 'back-end' problem and it's Telstra's problem to fix as our adapter and modem are working as they should.
Maybe after Easter ..................

David S.

If your connection is  Telstra cable the problem could be caused by the cable adapter’s MAC address not being recorded against your connection. There is a label on adapter with the adaptors MAC address. Telstra cable activation should be able to record the adaptor’s MAC  address.

davids45

G'day cf4,
When we got a call from Telstra some days ago (pre-Easter), we told the caller the MAC address and while he seemed OK with the address values (he could not see any hardware issues at our end), he couldn't get us on-line but suggested they'd fix it in a day or two.
We will try re-contacting Telstra after Easter (shop-front and/or phone support).
Luckily still have internet with our old adsl provider - so I can still post to this site.
David S.
Troglokev

Try refreshing the DHCP lease for your device(s). You'll find it in the system settings for the device (exactly where will depend annoyingly on the device of course. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now