CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
BeardRoid
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 Firmware Updates

Answered

Does anyone know what exactly Telstra have updated in my Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 in the latest Firmware update?

It has dropped off one of my Wi-Fi devices and now I can't get it to even see the network.

There's been a change to the Wi-Fi settings in some way, but I'm unsure what. 
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 Firmware Updates

Good pickup.

That modem has always had 13 channels and some WiFi devices are not compatible with channels beyond 11
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5

What type and firmware version do you have?

I had an issue with my first Arcadyan where the 2.4ghz network died and i had one device in the house that could only connect to that frequency. The replacement one is working fine though

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

BeardRoid

Hi,
I'm running the Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (technicolor dja0230tls) and the Firmware is the latest one which has just been updated (17.2.0406-820-RC I think)

It's funny you mention the 2.4Ghz network, because I know for sure this device only connects to b/g 2.4Ghz at 54Mbps. It was running fine on the 2.4Ghz network until this recent Firmware Update and now my device can't see the Wi-Fi Network.

I want to know if there is a way to a) revert the update, or b) adjust the Wi-Fi settings back to how they were?

Cheers

a) No
b) Only WiFi change was in relation to the guest networks not working properly on mobile backup

I'd turn band steering off first to split the 2.4 and 5ghz up and also check and see if the 2.4ghz band is enabled in Advanced WiFi. IF you don't see the 2.4ghz network in the WiFi Network list on any device it's gone kaput and you'll probably need a replacement

BeardRoid

Thanks @Yastiandrie 

I turned band steering off and the 2.4Ghz band is visible from other devices, so I have established that the modem is fine.

I was able to get my device connected to the 2.4 network in the end, by changing the Channel selection from Auto to 11. 
I have noticed that my Modem now has 13 Channels available? Did this happen in the Update?

My device may have a FCC compliant Wi-Fi Chip (American Chip) with only 1-11 being available. As soon as the Channel goes to 12-13 it disappears.

Thanks again for your help   

Accepted Solution

Good pickup.

That modem has always had 13 channels and some WiFi devices are not compatible with channels beyond 11

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now