CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Wifi Signal - nbn FTTN

Last week we were connected to the nbn via FTTN, Telstra supplied us with a new modem and the process was easy to setup and we are getting amazing speeds.

Our house isn't huge by any standard, an average 3 bedroom, single storey house.  However, the wifi signal on the new modem isn't great and I can no longer get wifi in my bedroom, which is at the opposite end of the house to the kitchen, where the modem is (approx 18-20 metres).  Band steering is enabled and the 2.4g band is set to channel 1. Our previous modem was a Telstra Gateway Max 2 with only the 2.4g band enabled, the wifi signal was strong enough to reach our bedroom.  The new modem is set up in the exact same place as the old modem.

It really bugs me that I can't get wifi in my bedroom now. The Telstra Customer Service rep that set me up with the nbn connection said that I can pay to get my socket moved if I find I am having any issues with connection after the switch. While technically I'm not having issues with connection, I would like to move the wall socket to a more central position so the wifi signal would reach all areas of the house.  I called Telstra today to try and organise a Telstra approved technician to come and move my socket and the Telstra rep told me that this cannot be done because NBN Co will not allow it. He also said that nbn only allows the modem to emit the wifi signal to 10 metres. He said that NBN Co installs the socket closest to the road and we can only have 1 socket.  Edit: NBN Co did not install these sockets, they were there when we moved in around 15 years ago.

I find this hard to believe considering I'm connected via FTTN.  I currently have 2 sockets in the house, I have plugged the modem into both of them and connect with no issues.  Just for clarification, both sockets are at opposite ends of the house (kitchen and bedroom), so using either socket means no wifi at the other end of the house.

Could anyone elaborate on what the tech may have meant?  I've read up quite a bit about the nbn over the past year, I've never come across anything in regards to the 10 metre wifi range limit with nbn and also that NBN Co won't allow me to move/install wall sockets in my own house.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Wifi Signal - nbn FTTN

With wifi range its generally around 20m, but walls and other things can reduce it. You could try disabling band steering and try a different wifi channel on the 2.4ghz wifi. With those two sockets and from my understanding lisenced cabler can move them. I would reconment only having one socket connected as secondary sockets can cause a drop in line sync speed.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you, yes I did try disabling band steering and also the 5g. The signal was a little better but the speed wasn't as good, but still A LOT better than what I was on with adsl. How do i go about getting the 2nd socket disconnected? Can the Cable Guy do that when he moves the primary socket?
Highlighted

The cable guy should be able to do all of that. Just make sure you give him all the details about being on NBN and that. Just to make sure he can do it. With fttn i dont see why it couldn't be done by a lisenced cabler but they would know more as its there speciality
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more