graham999au
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Smart Modem boosters - how to connect second pair

Answered

I purchased 2 sets of wifi boosters (4 disks in total). I was able to setup the first set (2 disks) with the Telstra home dashboard app (disc 1 connected to router and disc 2 upstairs). But I have tried everything to connect the additional 2 disks to the same network. The disk 3&4 setup their own WIFI network and I cannot find anyway to get them to sync up to the original 2 disks. Tried using the App, it just wants to set up another separate pair. According to Telstra I should be able to plug 3 and 4 one at a time to the router in range of the original disc 1 and it should self-configure after 5 minutes, then I can disconnect it from the LAN and move it anywhere in range of another disc. This does not work, as soon as you disconnect the LAN cable it turns red. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem boosters - how to connect second pair

I don't think that will work as the mesh disk plugged into your modem is supposed to act as the controller for all of the disks. I'd recommend giving support a call on 137 587.
Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES

From my understanding the second pair shouldn't need to be set up in the app. Id recommend factory resetting the other two and then following the below instructions,

Plug the disc into the router using an Ethernet cable, so it can sync the correct Wi-Fi details.

Turn the disc on and wait for the Purple light on the front of the disc to stop flashing.

Turn disc off using power button located on the back and unplug it.

Pick a location between your gateway and an area with no or poor signal.

Place disc in a clear space off the floor, near a power socket.

Plug disc in to power and turn on using the power button located on the back, wait for the light to go solid blue.
Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
graham999au

The app cannot be used for setting up disc 3/4, it will only start setting up a new pair from scratch.

Thanks for your reply, I followed your instructions exactly.
This does not work. Once disconnected from the router, and set up in line of sight with disc1, it just flashes blue for a while and then goes red.
Can I log into the disc 3/4 web page using the details on the back of the disc and set the information there?
Accepted Solution

I don't think that will work as the mesh disk plugged into your modem is supposed to act as the controller for all of the disks. I'd recommend giving support a call on 137 587.
graham999au

Well I rang 137587 but they will not support me as I do not have a Platinum account! They do, however agree that they are the support team for this product!

I still cannot get them to work and Telstra will not support me.....
Is there someone out there who has got this to work, PLEASE respond.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @graham999au

I can see you have lodged a complaint about this matter and that a call back has been arranged. Please keep all posts about the same matter to one thread. 

Thanks.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

David053
Level 1: Cadet

I have exactly, exactly the same issue and got exactly the same response. I was put through what they said was the help desk. They said they had options but the only option was platinum service!!
graham999au

Ask to open a Complaint, then with that Platinum will eventually fix it for you. Platinum is the correct support for this product.

Telstra Platinum provides support for this product for free. I would recommend calling again.
Harley14

Hi GuiltySpark,

i have been having the same problem that you have dealing with above: I can't get my 2nd of boosters to connect & no-one in Telstra will help unless I take out a Platinum subscription.

so I am probably going to return them unless you have an answer

graham999au

See my comment above. You MUST open a Complaint, then they will support you. There is a disconnect internally at Telstra about who supports this product - it is Platinum.
Harley14

Thanks, Graham, I have opened a complaint & it will be interesting how long I have to wait. In the meantime, though, what did Telstra tell you to fix the problem?

Cheers,

graham999au

To be honest I can't remember, but the order you do the setup is important. I was just happy to get them working after so much hassle getting support. Two pairs will definitely work, mine are working fine.
Harley14

I'm glad they are working well for you; it's a shame you can't remember the set up it would save me waiting for Telstra

Meli73

Plug your 3rd disc into the modem with an ethernet cable. While switched on, use a pin or paperclip to press the factory reset button. Unplug the ethernet cable the turn off the disc. Wait 5 seconds. Turn the disc back on. Wait until the light turns solid blue. Repeat for the 4th disc. If you find that disc 2 has gone red then repeat the process with disc 2. Be patient it takes a bit longer than you expect!
Terencel123

Here is my response after fiddling about for an hour.

Connect booster 3 to main modem, plug in via ethernet and power up. Then do a factory reset for about 10 secs. Wait till the light turns solid blue. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the booster and press the "setup wifi" buttons on the back both booster 1 and booster 3. Once both have turned solid blue turn off the booster 3 and take it to wherever you want to place it in the house. It should then connect up after about 2 mins. Same with booster 4. Does improve the speeds everywhere. Save yourself a platinum subscription.

Highlighted
Patteentangle
Level 2: Rookie

I ran into the same problem. But if you plug Ethernet cable to 3rd booster and modem then go through usual dashboard setup, then after that the light should b solid blue, then disconnect Ethernet cable, move booster to another room. Then press the pair button on modem then wps button on booster. It will take a while but should then pair. Repeat with Ethernet cable for number 4 booster. Telstra should really get their act together over this.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more