Maryh79
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem gen 2

So I know it’s called “Smart Gen” but I’m really not seeing anything “smart” about it yet! Before I received this device I had a Telstra technicolor broadband modem. Apart from having pretty ordinary upload & download speeds, it was reliable and had decent coverage. Since having this “smart” modem & NBN Service, it spends most of its time with the “mobile service” button on Orange, I can’t connect my wireless printer or laptop to the wifi & when I have phoned Telstra for support, after being on the phone with them for ages, they tell me everything seems to be running fine & its probably some sort of interference with my microwave or other appliance. I don’t have an IT degree, nor do I have any wish to obtain one, but surely after having months of delay getting this NBN connection sorted, I should be able to use it. I asked about a wifi extender & they tried to sell me one, but then after me asking a few more questions, told me that this modem doesn’t support wifi extenders. I just don’t know where to go next - please help! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra Smart Modem gen 2

Is the light on the bottom of the modem at the front Green, if so your connection is working and I'd recommend disabling band steering on the modem in the WiFi settings. If the light on the bottom at the front is blue the modem is running off the 4G backup and you'll need to call Telstras NBN team on 1800 834 273.

The Telstra Smart Wifi Booster https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/extras/wifi-extender is compatible with the Gen 2 Smart Modem. 

For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now