CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Nataliec
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem light indicators

Answered

So after finding out my old gateway had issues I've been sent out a Telstra Smart modem. I've set up as per the instructions. I've connected all my devices via wifi to it. 

I have questions about buttons and light indicators.

There is a "pair" button between the power on/off button and the wifi light

What is it " Do I need to use it ?  at the moment only the power and wifi lights are green.

On the top of the box. there are 4 light indiciators

SIgnal - this keeps switching between orange and green

Link - this is currently green but occasionally changes too

Phone - light solid pink/red. - and my landline is not working. 

Do I need to contact Telstra to get the phone line to work? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem light indicators

The Pair button is for connecting WiFi devices via WPS and also for connecting DECT 2.0 cordless phone handset to the DECT base in the modem.

Yes you do need to contact Telstra as it looks like there is a problem with NBN link. Both Link, Online and Phone light should be green. The Signal light indicate strength of 4G backup and should be either red (Poor Signal), orange (Signal OK) and Green (Good Signal) https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/News-Feed/What-do-the-lights-on-your-Telstra-modem-mean/ba-p/...

You could try powering the modem off and then back on. If that doesn't work you can try a factory reset of modem. To factory reset modem press the reset button located below power button using bent paper clip or similar device for at least 10 seconds while modem is powered on. Modem should reboot. If still not working will have to contact Telstra NBN support 1800 834 273 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

The Pair button is for connecting WiFi devices via WPS and also for connecting DECT 2.0 cordless phone handset to the DECT base in the modem.

Yes you do need to contact Telstra as it looks like there is a problem with NBN link. Both Link, Online and Phone light should be green. The Signal light indicate strength of 4G backup and should be either red (Poor Signal), orange (Signal OK) and Green (Good Signal) https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/News-Feed/What-do-the-lights-on-your-Telstra-modem-mean/ba-p/...

You could try powering the modem off and then back on. If that doesn't work you can try a factory reset of modem. To factory reset modem press the reset button located below power button using bent paper clip or similar device for at least 10 seconds while modem is powered on. Modem should reboot. If still not working will have to contact Telstra NBN support 1800 834 273 

Nataliec
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for the information. It’s all over the place at the moment. One minute it’s in back up mode, then it’s down then it’s up and weak. I think you have answered my phone question. I have a new cordless phone. It included phone line from the base to the phone port. I’m thinking I just need to unplug that phone extension between the two and I. An then pair the cordless with the smart modem . I’ll request a call back tomorrow

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now