CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Jack1954
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 - Technicolor DJA0231 - Bridge Mode

Answered

Hi,

I have a question about the Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 - Technicolor DJA0231 in Bridge Mode.

I am currently using Telstra's cable service and have the cable modem in bridge mode and a separate Cisco router.

I wish to retain the Cisco router when I convert to NBN. I believe the previous generation Telstra modem disabled the telephony service when the modem was switched to bridge mode.

If you place the Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 in bridge mode, does it kill your home phone service?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 - Technicolor DJA0231 - Bridge Mode

Leave SIP ALG disabled.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

The Gen 2 Smart modem also kills the phone service in bridge mode.

When you move to NBN if you have a HFC NBN connection the Cisco router can be connected directly to the NBN modem and if you require a phone service connect the WAN port of the Gen 2 modem to Cisco router. Turn Wifi off on the Gen 2 modem and use it as VOIP adapter. If there is a SIP/ALG setting in the Cisco router disable SIP/ALG. Also when first setting up NBN connection connect Gen 2 modem directly to NBN modem until the phone SIP has registered indicated by phone light turning green, then disconnect Telstra modem, connect Cisco router and connect Telstra modem’s WAN port to LAN port on Cisco router.

Jack1954

Excellent. Thank you for the information @cf4
Jack1954

@cf4 

My router has a "SIP ALG" parameter which is currently disabled. This will need to enable

There is no setting for SIP/A. BTW tried to lookup what SIP/A means but I can't find a definition or what it is used for. Can you point me in the right direction?

Regards

John

Accepted Solution

Leave SIP ALG disabled.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now