exswede
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 - Technicolor DJA0231 - Firewall rules

Hi,

As there is no manual for this modem from Telstra, which surprises me... ( nor any un-official on I have been able to find ). Normal Telstra support level cannot advise on the below, and their "Platinum" group wants to be paid before...

For the "user-defined" firewall rules, does anyone have any details on what keywords, and or range words can be used for IP, and ports ?

For instance my "old" Billion modems manual states word like "any" can be used for IP and Port numbers, for port numbers a single number can be used or a range e.g. 1000-1050 

Can this be done for this modem/firewall ?

Thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 - Technicolor DJA0231 - Firewall rules

If you tap on the question mark top right there is online help.
If trying to port forward better to use the port forwarding settings at basic / services / port forwarding.
exswede

Hi and Thanks cf4,
Yes tried the ?-mark, but it doesn't provide that detail.

Not using port forward at this time, just want to lock down the perimeter, to minimum open ports

Leave IP address blank for any source or destination IP.
For a range of ports separate with : example for ports 83 to 90 use 83:90
exswede

Thanks cf4, will try that out

Nickeluli

I have the exact same problem. I can't get port forwarding working on my new Technicolor DJA0231 (Telstra Smart modem Gen 2). I've tried setting it both under WAN Services and under Firewall but it doesn't work. The ports are responding correctly internally on the network but is blocked from external ip's. Any idea on what todo?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Nickeluli - Did you try the suggestion made by cf4?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Nickeluli

I did but it didn’t work. Could it be that I’m still on LTE? My nbn is not connected yet?

Yes port forwarding will not work when on 4G backup as the modem does not have a public IP address due to carrier grade NAT.

AGN

Hello cf4,

You have answered a question in relation to NAT Type issues. So due to being connected on 4G backup while waiting on my NBN to be connected is why the PS4 is showing NAT Type 3 and along the port forwarding will not operate until the NBN is connected. Please correct me if I have it wrong?

Thank you.

Yes PS3 will show NAT type 3 as  when on 4G backup the modems WAN address is not a public IP address.

AGN

Hello cf4,

Thank you. That explains why even I was doing the correct process in setting post forwarding and setting an static IP address to the playstation, all this still gave me an NAT Type 3 message. Due to the 4GB backup. At least that is good to know when we are on NBN this should refer the playstation to an NAT Type 2 settings. Thank you again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now