CrowdSupport®
GregW
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 slower than Gen 1 + how to connect Gen2 booster to Gen 1 modem

Answered

I have recently got a Gen 2 smart modem to enable me to extend my local network better with a Gen 2 booster also, as well as get better local network speeds which it has done.

Unfortunately the Gen 2 modem connects to the NBN "slower" than the Gen 1 (DJA0230). 

On my testing many many tests on FW 50/20, I get roughly 26 to 33Mbps download.  On the Gen 1 I get roughly 41 to 46Mbps.  These are based on the Telstra speed test tool.  The difference is the same every time I switch from one to the other, it is not a single test.

The difference is very noticeable when testing one compared to the other.

Any reason why? 
Is there something I can do to the Gen 2 to be at the same connection speed as the Gen 1?

If not is there a way I can connect the Gen 2 booster to work with the Gen 1 modem?
If so how do I do that please, is there a guide to do this online?

Cheers for your help

Greg

~~ If you don't ask ~~
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GregW
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 slower than Gen 1 + how to connect Gen2 booster to Gen 1 modem

I'm not sure why or how, but this morning speeds between them are negligible, so I am happy.  Why is the question?  I will see how it goes over the next week or two.

~~ If you don't ask ~~

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 slower than Gen 1 + how to connect Gen2 booster to Gen 1 modem

If you are getting a speed difference 15 Mbps between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 modem there could be a fault with the Gen 2 modem. I have tried both Gen 1 and Gen2 modems and on my connection 50/20 there is only a 3 Mbps difference. (44/12 Gen 1, 41/12 Gen 2). The difference in speed is due to the GEN 2 modem syncing at a slightly lower speed than the Gen 1 modem and not due to the WiFi performance of the modem.

Are the devices you are using connected by WiFi or LAN cable? If connected by WiFi are they connecting to the same WiFi Band on the two modems?

What type of NBN connection do you have?

GregW

I have tested them Ethernet connection only to ensure best and comparable results on two PC's Ethernet connected straight to the modems.

I just did another test and I am getting 31mbps Gen 2 and 44.9mbps Gen1

Uploads are very similar, it only appears to be downloads.

(BTW cf4, I had to reply to my original post as it will not allow me to reply to your post???  Error is Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested.)

~~ If you don't ask ~~

If you have an FTTN connection do you know what speed your link is syncing at. On the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 smart modem you can get this information by login into the modem and going to Advanced > Broadband > DSL Status Tab. On the Arcadyan version the information is located on the Advanced > Internet > Internet Access Tab.

GregW

Sorry, I thought I did mention the type of service, it is Fixed Wireless.

I just did a few more tests and the same results, average is between 8 and 14mbps slower with the Gen2

Is there a way I can get the Gen2 booster to work with the Gen1 modem in the meantime?

~~ If you don't ask ~~

You would need a Gen 2 Booster. Connect one Booster to a LAN port on the Gen 1 modem.

Mkrtich

@GregW  - I am also surprised at the significance of the difference. One can expect some variance in speed tests on a your Fixed Wireless link due to cell occupancy at time of tests, however for the variance to be consistently different between the two modems points to what you may suspect as used in your specific home environment.

Firstly, were the tests with the DJA0231 done when the Gen 2 Booster was turned OFF, with no other device connected to the Modem, either wired or wireless?

According to cf4's Unoffical Manual and Whirlpool posts, all three Technicolor modems the DJN2130, DJA0230 and DJA0231 models have the Broadcom BCM 63168 SoC which, by today's standards, has a humble 400 Mhz Dual Core CPU that was released in 2012. Because Telstra is shy to publish technical specifications, one depends on other sources to understand what is under the hood.

Wi-Fi Alliance certify Modems and Routers for conformance to all global Wi-Fi Standards and from that database, it shows the following differences which may explain why the DJA0231 may be, in certain situations, be loaded with its multi-task duties compared to the earlier DJA0230 which does not have those tasks. I would not expect a significant decrease in speed performance but these factors may contribute to some of it.

DJA0230 - SU-MIMO, 802.11n (2.4Ghz/5Ghz) 3Tx/3Rx:3 Streams, 802.11ac Wave 1 (5Ghz) 3Tx/3Rx:3 Streams, Tx Downlink Single User (SU) Beamformer.

DJA0231 - MU-MIMO, 802.11n (2.4Ghz/5Ghz) 3Tx/3Rx:3 Streams *, 802.11ac Wave 2 (5Ghz) 4Tx/4Rx:3 Streams, EasyMesh (Booster Gen2) Support, Tx Downlink MU-MIMO, Extended 5Ghz Channel Support (DFS - Dynamic Frequency Selection).

* Some months ago, I disassembled a faulty DJA2031 unit to reveal 4 micro coax cables connected to the 2.4Ghz chipset, so not sure if the specs are actually correct on that feature; maybe its a 2 x 2Tx/Rx:2 for each of the 802.11n frequencies. Due to the construction of the retention studs, you need a factory robot to remove the SoC heatsink, so I was unable to verify the actual SoC and Radios used.

As you can see, if both modems indeed have the same CPU, the DJA0231 is doing a lot more work than the DJA0230, particularly if you have the Booster activated or not, many devices being simultaneously connected in real time (MU-MIMO) rather than sequentially (SU-MIMO) and if it is using any of the DFS channels - the modem has to constantly monitor these channels for frequency regulatory compliance before, during and after usage.

I would expect the next Telstra Smart Modem (Gen3) to have a more powerful Broadcom or other CPU as users are placing more load on modems by connecting many high bandwidth consuming devices onto their home networks.

GregW

Thanks for the detailed information.

Yes I have also done isolation tests, which is where I see the difference that is more valid.  It is slighlty closer to the Gen 1 at about 8 to 10mbps slower.  If I hook the booster and other wifi devices back up it will be from 8 to 14 mbps slower.

With all devices connected, the comparison is as I said in my original post.

That said I just did another test and the Gen2 is now only about 5mbps slower ... so an improvement ... which is really odd.  This is why I have tested each modem on and off three times in a session check (as in Gen1 checkm Genb 2 check, Gen1 check and so on to get an average and to be sure that (as much as possible) they have the same connections.

I'm going to watch it over the next 48 hours again and then I will most likely have to follow it up in case it is a fault to the modem itself, it would be good to have another Gen2 to compare.

~~ If you don't ask ~~
GregW

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a booster doesn't it.

The Gen2 modem and the Gen2 booster work very well together, which is why I opted to upgrade to improve our internal network as well.  I just need the Gen2 modem to connect at the same speeds that the Gen1 does.

~~ If you don't ask ~~
Mkrtich

Its a good sign that the speed differences have diminished. I think you have a great combo with the Gen2 Modem and Gen 2 Booster. It's actually a world leading industry first for Telstra to introduce a Gateway that supports EasyMesh and matching Booster. The later is made by a competent manufacturer, Arcadyan - they also make the other Gen 2 model and make modems and routers for very familiar global brand names.

According to this Dec 2018 Press Release, sometime early next year, NBN Fixed Wireless will be withdrawing their 50/20 offering and replacing it with upgraded plans as spectrum frequencies are re-assigned allowing initially a nominal 60/20 Mbps plan and then later a 75/10 Mbps non-peak rate plan.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-statements/nbn-co-unveils-new-plan...

With communications, particularly with Fixed Wireless, depending on what is being transmitted, it is not so much the importance of speed, but the reliability and stability of the link that matters.

I was in a Cash Converters store today and saw a BNIB Telstra Technicolor DJA0231 TLS Smart Modem Gen 2  including a CM450 HFC Modem for $30 - I had to control myself as having NBN installed very soon! You will also see used and new ones on Gumtree.

GregW
Accepted Solution

I'm not sure why or how, but this morning speeds between them are negligible, so I am happy.  Why is the question?  I will see how it goes over the next week or two.

~~ If you don't ask ~~

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

Thanks for the feedback. Glad situation has resolved itself for now. Radio communication always has an element of mystery to it and it's good to know some of the variables. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now