CrowdSupport®
SJC33
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart modem for FTTN/FTTB vs FTTC

Answered

Hi,

I'm not yet connected to NBN but received Telstra Smart Modem DJA0231 for FTTN/FTTB. I believe we are getting NBN FTTC around 25 Oct. Will this modem work for FTTC? I havent tried to connect it yet as I already have Smart Modem for ADSL2+ connected and is working well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart modem for FTTN/FTTB vs FTTC

Yes the modem works on all NBN connection types the only difference is the port used on the modem to connect to the NBN. On a FTTN/B connect the modem’s DSL port is connected to the NBN via the telephone wall socket similar to an ADSL connection. On a FFTC NBN connection the NBN modem connects to the Telephone wall socket and the Telstra Smart modem’s WAN port connects to the Ethernet port on the NBN modem.

Your existing smart modem can also be used on all types of NBN connections.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Yes the modem works on all NBN connection types the only difference is the port used on the modem to connect to the NBN. On a FTTN/B connect the modem’s DSL port is connected to the NBN via the telephone wall socket similar to an ADSL connection. On a FFTC NBN connection the NBN modem connects to the Telephone wall socket and the Telstra Smart modem’s WAN port connects to the Ethernet port on the NBN modem.

Your existing smart modem can also be used on all types of NBN connections.

SJC33

Thank you.

RT14

I am quite confused by this, I'm in the same situation of having ADSL2 to FTTC.

I have a Telstra Smart Modem 2 (DJA0230) on Telstra ADSL2.  If I understand this correctly: 

If I have FTTN then the current connection to my phone wall socket only needs the filter to be removed?

If I have FTTC then I need a second modem that plugs into the wall socket and then connects to my existing Smart modem's red ethernet port?

Does the new modem for FTTC have any functionality to it or is it just an interface box?

Other than inserting the new modem between the wall socket and my existing smart modem will the smart modem autoconfigure itself?

As an aside what is the different technology that requires a second modem for FTTC compared with FTTN?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this?

On a NBN FTTC connection the NBN NTD that connects to the wall sock is a VDSL modem and also supplies power to the DPU in the street. Because there is one DPU it is impracticable to supply mains power to the DPU so they get there power from the NTD in the customers premises. The FTTC has a few lights to tell you what is occurring with the connection but you can't access its GUI.

With NBN FTTN the Node is connected to about 400 customers so it is economical to provide each Node with its own mains power, and a normal VDSL modem can connect to it.

The main advantage of FTTC is that all customers should be able to get 100/40 as they are all within 100 meters of the DPU. The speed of an FTTN connection depends on distance from the Node and those few who are over 1 Km from the Node are lucky if they get 25/5.

Your modem should automatically reconfigure when going from ADSL to FTTN or FTTC. At worst you might have to power cycle the modem for it to automatically reconfigure.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now