JAM58
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra SmartModen Gen 2

Answered

Just an issue with attaching a printer. All working fine before switching to this modem. Plugged into Lan 2 (or either of the 4 for that mater) and it just does not recognise the printer or make it available across the network. Any thoughts appreciated

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra SmartModen Gen 2

The printer might be set with a static IP address that is not with in the address range of the modem. (192.158.0.2 to 192.168.0.255). Either do a factory reset of printer or go to the printer network settings and check that it is set to use DHCP.
Accepted Solution

Don't think Modems firewall will be blocking printer.

Suggest you reinstall printer driver on PC, also make sure that WiFi network is set to Private on PC and network discover is turned on.

On Windows 10 laptop go to
Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Change Connection Properties > Network Profile > Private selected.
Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Sharing Options > Turn on Network Discovery and Turn on Automatic setup of Network connected devices.

WiFi_Set_Private.JPG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

The printer might be set with a static IP address that is not with in the address range of the modem. (192.158.0.2 to 192.168.0.255). Either do a factory reset of printer or go to the printer network settings and check that it is set to use DHCP.
JAM58

Thank-you for your guidance. Most appreciated. I can now see it connected to the modem under Ethernet/Wired which is great. My laptop connected wirelessly can't find it, yet it tells me it already exists if I try to set it up manually, I've used every option to try and find it. Could a firewall of some description on the modem be stopping me from seeing it?
Accepted Solution

Don't think Modems firewall will be blocking printer.

Suggest you reinstall printer driver on PC, also make sure that WiFi network is set to Private on PC and network discover is turned on.

On Windows 10 laptop go to
Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Change Connection Properties > Network Profile > Private selected.
Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Sharing Options > Turn on Network Discovery and Turn on Automatic setup of Network connected devices.

WiFi_Set_Private.JPG

JAM58

Brilliant, all up and running. Thank-you

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now