Highlighted
Nurselife
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra modem drop outs

Answered

Modem has periods where it will constantly drop out and rest every couple of minutes to every so often. I am unsure if this is to do with works to the NBN in my area or what not.

I've done a factory reset of the modem with no success.

Checked all my connections which all seem to be fine.

Went to the operator log in my modem Gateway settings;

modemlog.png

Serial NumberHardware VersionSoftware Version

N7163022W009065
FAST5355-A
SG7E10001332

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra modem drop outs

It could be a line fault and if the fault is in the section of cable between you and the node it will still be there when you cut over to NBN. Once you connect to NBN it will be harder to get a Technician to investigate as first you have to convince Telstra there is a fault and then Telstra has to convince NBN Co that there is fault. If you are still getting dropouts ring support.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5

It might be to do with NBN work in your area or there might be an intermittent fault on your line. Check the line stats on your modem which are located here.

Advanced > Device Info > Stats > WAN -Layer 1 xDSL

Look for resynchronisations errors

Nurselife

Alright, this is what I found, if that's right.

Errored Seconds 44
Severely Errored Seconds 18
Re-synchronisations 0

Right now I've been about 1-2 hours without any issues. Comes in bursts, hopefully it is just the NBN work.

Yes those are the link stats. Every time the modem gets rebooted or reset the kine stats are cleared so if the modem has been rebooted since last drop out it would not show in the stats.

The logs also show PPPOE errors which would occur if the wrong user name and password was entered  in the Basic > Broadband settings. Did you re enter username and password after reset.

If your internet is frequently dropping out then there is a fault. The Modems log confirms that the ADSL link is dropping out. Have you rang support?

Nurselife

Yes, I did have few failed attempts logging in, then changed it all after I did the factory reset.

Haven't rung support, I figured I'd just wait it out till NBN is ready for me to upgrade to since it is meant to some time this month be available.
Accepted Solution

It could be a line fault and if the fault is in the section of cable between you and the node it will still be there when you cut over to NBN. Once you connect to NBN it will be harder to get a Technician to investigate as first you have to convince Telstra there is a fault and then Telstra has to convince NBN Co that there is fault. If you are still getting dropouts ring support.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now