CrowdSupport®
fcuku
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra smart modem - FTTP

Answered

Hi,

hope someone can assist me on this. I got NBN (FTTP) and was using my own router (which was connecting to Telstra modem) and all my devices are using router wifi endpoints. Now Telstra sent me this new Telstra smart modem gen 2 and for some reason bridged more not working and I can’t get my router to work as before. Also I realised if I don’t use home phone and not require 4G back then with FTTP I can plug nbn directly to my router and all works fine. Is this ok to use that way? Also I can have Telstra modem running on this side with 4G back up activated all the time so in case if something goes wrong I can manually connect to Telstra wifi. Please advise. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra smart modem - FTTP

Yes you can connect your own router directly to the UNI-D port on the NBN box. Set up your router for an IPOE  connection (ISP does not require a username or password). If you had an ADSL connection before your router was probably set up for a PPPOE connection which is why it want work now.

The Telstra modem in normal mode can be connected to a LAN port of your router and used for backup and a VOIP ATA. If your router has a SIP ALG setting disable SIP ALG. If your router uses the same LAN address range as the Telstra router will also need to change the LAN IP address and address range of Telstra router so that first three group of digits are not the same.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

Yes you can connect your own router directly to the UNI-D port on the NBN box. Set up your router for an IPOE  connection (ISP does not require a username or password). If you had an ADSL connection before your router was probably set up for a PPPOE connection which is why it want work now.

The Telstra modem in normal mode can be connected to a LAN port of your router and used for backup and a VOIP ATA. If your router has a SIP ALG setting disable SIP ALG. If your router uses the same LAN address range as the Telstra router will also need to change the LAN IP address and address range of Telstra router so that first three group of digits are not the same.

Highlighted
fcuku
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks cf4. Appreciate your advice

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now