CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
DanFenton
Level 4: Private Eye

Trouble Connecting to Network Devices

Answered

Hi,

I am having trouble connecting to non-PC devices on my network (such as NAS, Live-TV etc).  The devices most of the time (but not all the time) appear in the network folder within windows explorer.  But when you click on them it gives the error 0x80070035 "the network path was not found".  Strangely if I type the devices IP adress in the address bar it has no problem accessing the devices and the shared folders.

I tried fixing their IP address in the modem/router settings, but this doesn't resolve.

I have a NETGEAR CG3100 cable modem (not sure which version; there is nothing further).  I also have an ASUS wireless router, but NAT is turned off and it is operating as an access point only.  It is connected via ethernet to the modem/router.  The devices are connected by ethernet and wireless direct to the Netgear, while the PCs are connected either wirelessly to the Netgear or ASUS and also via ethernet to both (no combination works).

There are 5 computers connected running Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

My limited knowledge and the fact that all the PCs have the same issue makes me think something is wrong in the DHCP of the netgear, but I can't see many settings that would affect this.

At times, there are quite a few devices connected.  At a quick count I have 5 pcs, foxtel iq, 3 tablets, 4 mobile phones, NAS, Wii, network printer and unfortunately an ipod.  There probably is the proverbial partridge in a pear tree too.  The ethernet ports are full, so 6 connected via ethernet and the rest wireless.  But none of this should cause/be a problem. 

I don't have internet connectivity issues, so not sure what modem logs to send..

Please help!

Thank-you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
bill0014
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Trouble Connecting to Network Devices

The network path stored on your computer is outdated: look at the properties of the shortcuts in the network folder and see if the listed addresses matches the actual assigned address, the nature of DHCP means that every time a device disconnects and then connects it may receive a different IP address.
Need help? Send a message via Twitter @billchen0014 And I will try my best

View solution in original post

DanFenton
Accepted Solution

Thanks Bill,

I seem to have resolved it now.  After you noted the problem being the hostname pointing to the wrong ip address, I pinged the hostname and it picked up the correct ip address and now can find the device in explorer as well???  Not sure why that would work, but it has for all devices!

Cheers

Dan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
bill0014
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

The network path stored on your computer is outdated: look at the properties of the shortcuts in the network folder and see if the listed addresses matches the actual assigned address, the nature of DHCP means that every time a device disconnects and then connects it may receive a different IP address.
Need help? Send a message via Twitter @billchen0014 And I will try my best

DanFenton

Thanks Bill,

I have fixed the ip addresses of the network devices in case that was the problem, but it did not help.  Also I can't see a properties option when selecting devices in the network folder of windows explorer.

Cheers

Dan

DanFenton
Accepted Solution

Thanks Bill,

I seem to have resolved it now.  After you noted the problem being the hostname pointing to the wrong ip address, I pinged the hostname and it picked up the correct ip address and now can find the device in explorer as well???  Not sure why that would work, but it has for all devices!

Cheers

Dan

wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

Look at the permission settings
I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now