CrowdSupport®
rodneybeinke
Level 2: Rookie

Unstable DSL Line

Hi guys, this is my first post here.

For years our home ADSL2+ internet has been slower than our neighbors and frequently drops out or slows to an absolute crawl, like dial-up speeds.

In my routers settings it says my DSL is unstable. I have called tech support many times and they run me through the same processes to try to fix it but to no avail, the only thing worked out was that one of my 2 DSL outputs/phone jacks in my house was more reliable than the other (honestly one of them can barely handle a phone call).

Anyway my question is what can be done about this, can a technician check telstras hardware to make sure it isn't set wrong or damaged? Once we were told a setting on telstras end was wrong and that helped our internet speed a little.

Could it be the wiring in my house has been damaged?

We get at most 5mbps down which is 1/3 the speed of what my neighbours claim to get but often it slows down to 1mbps. It's really getting to be unbearable and the NBN wont be in my area until next year.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Unstable DSL Line

@rodneybeinke  Can you post your full modem stats? 

On the Telstra modems line stats are located here (Plus pinging @cf4  & @343GuiltySpark  for possible input, lol)

TG587 Telstra T-Gateway (TG797). Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

It will look similar to this (Mainly after the ones in bold).

DSL Status Up
DSL Uptime 18 hours 28 minutes 9 seconds
DSL Type VDSL2
DSL Mode Fast
Maximum Line rate 20.03 Mbps 35.43 Mbps
Line Rate 19.99 Mbps 34.39 Mbps
Data Transferred 321.46 MBytes 1485.85 MBytes
Output Power 8.8 dBm 12.1 dBm
Line Attenuation 5.7, 33.9, 53.9 dB 15.8, 44.1, 67.8 dB
Noise Margin 6.3 dB 6.7 dB

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Level 25: The Singularity

If one of your outlets can barely handle a phone call, then I'd be starting there as it is probably causing a large part of your problem.

I'd be getting it either rewired or disconnected from the primary point and see what sort of improvement it makes, before trying to get Telstra track down an external fault that may not exist.

Interference on faulty internal wiring can make a huge difference on DSL based connections. In my case it was the difference between getting 17Mbps and 30Mbps on VDSL (FTTN).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The fact that the problem also effects phone calls indicates the problem is more likely to be cabling fault either in the street cabling or the house cabling than an equipment fault in the exchange. Has a Technician be out to check your line? If the fault is in the internal house wiring past the first phone socket you might get charge a fee but if fault is in street cabling or up to the cabling up to the first phone socket you should not get charged a fee.

rodneybeinke

We have an ASUS modem/router but here are the stats, sorry for the poor formatting

DSL Information

DSL Firmware VersionDSL Driver VersionDSL Link StatusDSL UptimeDSL modulationANNEX ModeDSL Exchange (DSLAM)System Vendor IDSystem Vendor Model IDModem Vendor ID

FwVer:5.5.2.10_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
up
0 days 7 hours 20 minute(s) 54 seconds
ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
ANNEX A
Broadcom
2605443544e00
26005443434E5A01

Line Stats

TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)SNR MarginLine AttenuationPath ModeInterleave DepthData RateMax RatePowerINPINP-SHINEINP-REINCRC

DownstreamUpstream
On
On
12.0 dB
9.0 dB
22.0 dB
11.0 dB
Interleaved
Interleaved
8160 kbps
704 kbps
9568 kbps
940 kbps
19.5 dbm
11.5 dbm
1.9 symbols
2.2 symbols
-
-
-
-
rodneybeinke

Thank you for your reply.

Is disconnecting from the primary point something I can do myself?

What price range is typical for rewiring? 

That is telling us that you are connected via ADSL rather than ADSL2+ and that the modem is syncing at the maximum rate for that connection type.

It may be that there were no ADSL2+ ports available at teh exchange when you were connected. If your neighbours are getting over 8Mbps, it sounds like they are on an ADSL2+ port.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No, you can't do it yourself (you need a licenced cabler - ie an electrician). It takes them 5 minutes to do.

Unfortunately, given your connection stats, it's not going to improve your connection speed.

It will be something that you need to look at when you migrate to NBN though.

You may want to call 132203 and report the issue about your Landline Phone service though. May as well get that fixed (you never know, the tech may fix the issue fully for you given it's such a minor job).

rodneybeinke

Thank you for your reply

Years ago we had a technician check 'something' on telstras end and they said a setting/switch was wrong  and it sped our internet up once fixed but its just as bad as it was before now.
I know my nextdoor neighbour who is also with telstra complains about slow internet speeds but my other nextdoor neighbour says there's is 3x ours and has no problems, they are with another company though. Our house is on a corner so its possible that our house and the neighbour with problems share a line while the house with no problems has a different one I suppose.

I wouldn't want to spend too much on having the wiring redone as next year wireless NBN will be available  in our area which will require hardware being installed on our premises and I believe that includes new wiring if I'm not mistaken.

Highlighted
rodneybeinke

Oh okay, so basically  we have outdated wiring/ports which require upgrading to see any benefit what so ever? Is that right?

rodneybeinke

okay so i called telstra and theyre sending out a technician tomorrow 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now