CrowdSupport®
Buff1969
Level 2: Rookie

Use Telstra TG797n v3 as wifi range extender

Answered

Hi!

I recently replaced my Technicolor TG797n v3 modem with a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2.

At the far end of our house the wireless signal is pretty weak.  I was wanting to use the TG797n as a wifi extender.  I have a hard wired 5 port ethernet switch.  I was wanting to combine the TG797n and the ethernet switch so the items current hard connected to the switch (eg Apple TV, Smart TV) are still connected but the wifi range is extended.

Can someone step me through how to set this up, including the settings that I need to change on the TG797n?

Thanks in advance!

Buff Daddy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Use Telstra TG797n v3 as wifi range extender

Yes change off LAN IP address has to be done on the TG797 using a device connected to the TG797 via one of the TG797's LAN ports or the TG797's WiFi. Once the IP address is changed you will need to disconnect and then reconnect the device and use the new IP address to log into the TG797.

When the DHCP is disabled in the TG797 you will no longer be able to connect devices until the LAN port of the TG797 is connected to a LAN port of the smart modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3

The TG797 can be used as a WiFi access point with one of its LAN ports connected to smart modem's LAN ports.

First change LAN IP address to within same address range as smart modem but different to smart modem (example 192.168.0.200). Advanced > Local Network.

Turn off DHCP in TG797 Advanced > Local Network.

Change WiFi SSID and password to same as smart modem

Buff1969
Level 2: Rookie

cf4,

Thanks for the reply.  Am I right in saying that the change of LAN IP address is on the TG797 and has to be done via a computer not hooked up to the internet?

Buff Daddy
Accepted Solution

Yes change off LAN IP address has to be done on the TG797 using a device connected to the TG797 via one of the TG797's LAN ports or the TG797's WiFi. Once the IP address is changed you will need to disconnect and then reconnect the device and use the new IP address to log into the TG797.

When the DHCP is disabled in the TG797 you will no longer be able to connect devices until the LAN port of the TG797 is connected to a LAN port of the smart modem.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now